Hotel Question

ErLee

Thank you roving rabbit for the resto rec and thank you martincath for the great advice and detailed input on eats and a bit of touring! All super helpful!

I went ahead and booked the YWCA to hold a room while I decide what we want to do since you advised that it fills up. Does anyone know if they have 24 hr check in? We’ll be arriving very late, and i’ve noticed some hotels don’t. Wherever we stay I want to make sure it’s not an issue if we get hung up.

I may have more questions as I get closer, and you’re such a great source of info. I’m really looking forward to Vancouver and know we’ll only get a taste of all there is to do. Atlanta - Vancouver isn’t too expensive to fly so I’m sure we’ll be back for a proper visit!

It's a large hotel, with staff working 24/7. Aside from a lack of romance, the only thing missing that most folks might assume a hotel would have is an in-house resto/room service - a wee coffee shop in the lobby sells snacks, but given how many other restos are within just a couple of blocks it's really only an inconvenience if you arrive at oh-dark-hundred and want 'dinner' served. Vancouver in general is an early-to-bed town for restos - if you're arriving downtown after 9pm there will be a major decrease in your fine dining options (though thanks to Happy Hour exploding in popularity over the last few years, you can find a selection of bargain eats 9-11pm-ish in many casual restos & bars now).

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 7:50 PM, martincath said:

Personally I always suggest the YWCA Hotel - assuming you can find a room for your dates of course, as it's very popular. Despite the name, while it is lacking in luxury it's not a hostel but a proper hotel, with regular en suite rooms (as well as singles and larger rooms for up to five, but no 'book a bed inside a big dorm' setup).

If you can't bring yourself to 'stay at the Y' or they are booked, then I suggest TripAdvisor to give you a range of hotels within your price range, then further research on the shortlist using sites like Expedia where only actual guests can leave reviews (places where TA gives an excellent rating but Expedia is middling tend to mean some 'good review buying' is going on).

Thanks to your suggestions I have booked the Y for 3 nights pre-cruise for us and our friends.  It sounds like it fits our needs and doesn't break the bank.  Thanks so much for your recommendation.