A night in anchorage?

claudiniusmaximus

Hi

I got a quote from Princess yesterday for 3 nights in Vancouver (flight and hotel) then the northbound to Anchorage.

When the operator gave me the quote she automatically added a night in anchorage at the end without us asking for it.

I assumed it was because it was necessary in some way.

Anyway our flight back leaves at 1.20pm daily (to London) so I’m wondering do I really need that extra night? I’ve been researching and while there is plenty to see in the area it’s nothing that I won’t have seen plenty of during the preceding ten days - and it wasn’t on our original plan to stay there.

Anyway she’s calling back this morning to see if I want to go ahead with the booking. Just wondering if anchorage is a “must see” after already having seen several Alaskan towns and glaciers and native culture and wildlife etc etc

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Normally you'll dock in Whittier (or Seward) early in the morning. The cruiseline should give you a time after which a flight would be "safe". We recently ended a cruise in Seward and flights after noon from Anchorage were deemed "safe". Our flight was 6am so obv we spent the night in Anchorage ;-) But we did our own hotel booking, so....

From Whittier, the timing can be a little dicier as the tunnel timing plays into the schedule -just make sure you book the transfer option that works for your timing - eg it might be the earliest coach/train etc.....

Thanks Hoyaheel - yes the midday cut off you mentioned was my thinking as well.

I did ask the agent why she’d added the night in anchorage and she said “they always do that” or words to that effect but agreed that 1.20pm flight is fine (especially with the ship docking at 12.30am)

She didn’t offer me a time option for the transfer. When all the paperwork comes through and the booking is “live” online I’ll see if I can see what time it’s booked for.

I can't understand why the cruise line would even suggest you book a night in Anchorage since they were aware you had reservations on an airline out of Anchorage for London early in the afternoon of the same day you arrive in Whittier. Were they prepared to change your airline reservations and advance your departure from Anchorage for London? Anyway, most folk we know enjoy a day or so in the area after cruising. True though, many breeze through Anchorage on the way to our airdrome, after arriving in Seward or Whittier and let their friends know they have visited Anchorage and know all about it.

You indicate you would have already been tuned in to Alaska community living, sighseeing and culture by the time you arrive here. I'm not certain how you could come to that conclusion, I was born and raised on the coast of Alaska, I can assure you that there is a huge distinction between those other communities and Old Anchor Town. For instance, only one place you are going to be able to visit the largest Seaplane base on earth by far and the downtown Anchorage Museum is unsurpassed. Take a gander at this site: https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/alaska/articles/12-reasons-why-you-should-visit-anchorage-alaska/

Thanks badgercruise.

Kennicott they included the night in anchorage and the flight back at the end of the cruise - I didn’t already have a flight booked.

I wasn’t assuming I’d have seen everything Alaska has to offer - just that some ports are more interesting than others and wasn’t sure if anchorage was worth the extra unplanned night.

What we will have seen by then unless something goes wrong is plenty of glaciers, some Native American and First Nation culture, some wildlife, some gold rush history.

As it turns out we have since swapped our dates to sail on a different ship - we start the holiday 3 days later now - and because of the vagaries of airline pricing it’s cheaper to stay in anchorage one night and fly home than fly home the day the ship docks so anchorage is back on.

The museum in the link you sent looks interesting, thanks.

As it turns out we have since swapped our dates to sail on a different ship - we start the holiday 3 days later now - and because of the vagaries of airline pricing it’s cheaper to stay in anchorage one night and fly home than fly home the day the ship docks so anchorage is back on.

The museum in the link you sent looks interesting, thanks.

We can second the museum recommendation! We also greatly enjoyed the trolley (https://anchoragetrolley.com/). We had an excellent guide, saw a lot of Anchorage, and even stopped for a few minutes to watch a moose eating shrubbery in a front yard, then slowly walking across the street and stopping to give us a once over, and finally jumping a low fence into a back yard. It was the only moose we saw in Alaska on that trip! We also remember being impressed with how beautiful the town was with gorgeous flowers blooming everywhere.

Great I’ll add it to the list [emoji106]

I don’t suppose anyone knows the name of the company princess use for whale watching tours in Juneau? My preferred choice is Marv and Harv but we won’t be booking/paying for excursions for a while yet and in case they sell out just wondering who princess use. I don’t want to be on a boat with 50 people if I can help it.

I don’t suppose anyone knows the name of the company princess use for whale watching tours in Juneau?

Allen Marine and Gastineau Guiding have been used by the cruise lines. Not sure if Gastineau Guiding is specific to Princess. They are getting very good reviews as their boats carry about 14 passengers.

[quote name=claudiniusmaximus;57124254Kennicott they included the night in anchorage and the flight back at the end of the cruise - I didn’t already have a flight booked.

I wasn’t assuming I’d have seen everything Alaska has to offer - just that some ports are more interesting than others and wasn’t sure if anchorage was worth the extra unplanned night.

What we will have seen by then unless something goes wrong is plenty of glaciers' date=' some Native American and First Nation culture, some wildlife, some gold rush history.

The museum in the link you sent looks interesting, thanks.Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh I see, I misread your first post and you were not scheduled to leave Anchorage at 1:30 PM same day you arrived at Whittier in the morn. Sorry. Cruise line was suggesting you stay a night and leave at 1:30 PM the following day. Giving you a day and morning for touring, good on them.

Anyway, just because I belong to the Chamber of Commerce here doesn't mean I meant to badger you into staying and looking around. Well, guess I did at that. LOL

Welcome to Alaska and Anchorage. Hope you have a great cruise with nice weather and smooth sailing all the way.

PS---We love to cruise, one of our favorites are the British Isles, great ports and people everywhere. I even discovered I had a lot of Welsh in me and an Irish great-great grandmother.

Hi Kennicott - I’m actually Welsh! I live in Monmouthshire in South Wales do you know where you family were from? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Welsh are heavy on my mother's side, from her mother's side. Looks to me like almost 100%. Not sure about her father's side. In 1983 I went to a huge family reunion on her side near York, Nebraska. There were lots of pictures of the old folk's house in Wales. Some of the relatives had visited relatives there over the years. Llanelwedd, Wales in the early 19th century was where the Lloyds and Prices were from. Lot of offspring came from two of them getting together. Mean anything to you?

The Welsh are heavy on my mother's side, from her mother's side. Looks to me like almost 100%. Not sure about her father's side. In 1983 I went to a huge family reunion on her side near York, Nebraska.

OMG - that is 45 minutes from where I live. I am sure you had a wild time in York. I had no idea there are a lot of Welsh in that area. We have a lot of "Germans from Russia" where I live (Lincoln).

Definitely different topography compared to what you are used to!

The Welsh are heavy on my mother's side, from her mother's side. Looks to me like almost 100%. Not sure about her father's side. In 1983 I went to a huge family reunion on her side near York, Nebraska. There were lots of pictures of the old folk's house in Wales. Some of the relatives had visited relatives there over the years. Llanelwedd, Wales in the early 19th century was where the Lloyds and Prices were from. Lot of offspring came from two of them getting together. Mean anything to you?

I have driven past Llanelwedd lots of times as the nearest town (Builth Wells) is on the main route from north to South Wales. It’s a very pretty, pastoral area. Very scenic.

If you have time in Anchorage, I would suggest the Trolley tour. It takes one hour and gives lots of history about the town of Anchorage. We cruised FROM Whittier (southbound) and took the Princess transfer. The connection point in Anchorage backed up to the place where the trolley loads. It's very convenient to drop your bags (going that direction), and take the tour while waiting for the departure time for the transfer shuttle. We saw several people who had gotten off the ship that morning waiting there for airport shuttles.

If you have time in Anchorage, I would suggest the Trolley tour. It takes one hour and gives lots of history about the town of Anchorage. We cruised FROM Whittier (southbound) and took the Princess transfer. The connection point in Anchorage backed up to the place where the trolley loads. It's very convenient to drop your bags (going that direction), and take the tour while waiting for the departure time for the transfer shuttle. We saw several people who had gotten off the ship that morning waiting there for airport shuttles.

That is a good idea, I forgot about the Trolley tours. Never been on one but see them all the time. In the mornings, after my workout, I drive around the airport Seaplane Base to see what is new in the aviation community, often the Trolley is making its tour around the lake system at that time.

https://anchoragetrolley.com/city-tour/