Penguins - Puerto Madryn to Punta Tomba

Edward51

We are a group of four who will be in Pueurto Madryn in mid December. We are thinking of renting a car at the downtown Budget location (opens at 9:00) and driving to Porto Tombo to see the penguins. From what I have read it is a 2 1/2 hour drive to Punta Tomba, mostly on paved road. The entrance fee to the reserve is about $15. Our ship is in port from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.

It seems pretty easy and straightforward but I would like to hear a few opinions from those that have travelled by car or those that have opted for other means of touring.

Also, if there are towns on the way there or back that would be interesting for a quick tour or meal we would like to hear about it. Thanks.

We are going to Punta Tomba from Puerto Madryn next February with Tour Guide Ushuaia. I almost always choose a private tour guide over driving ourselves because it is easier that way - no getting lost, no having to keep track of time to ensure you have time to turn in the rental car plus get back to the ship, no time spent picking up the rental car, commentary by a guide during the drive, etc. Check out the Tour Guide Ushuaia website for tour details and costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While the drive itself is not very interesting, it's not a bad drive. I would think that you aren't missing anything by not having a tour guide since there is absolutely nothing to see along the way, and, once you get to Punto Tombo, a tour guide is going to point you in the direction of the path and leave you to enjoy the penguins.

Make sure you've got a GPS or a detailed map. I actually printed several CUs of key intersections off Google Maps. Negotiating the roundabouts in Trelew is the most difficult part because there aren't a lot of road signs to point the way to stay on Ruta 3, but we had no problems with our low tech map printouts.

You've probably already found this post buried in this forum, but, if not, you might want to read the section on Puerto Madryn. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2477057

Given your port time, I would doubt that you'll have time to stop for lunch or sightseeing. Assuming it's almost 9:30 by the time you actually get away from Budget, that puts you in Punta Tombo around noon. It will likely take you two hours to tour the site, which gets you back to Puerto Madryn around 4:30. With time to gas up the car (and we had some difficulty locating a gas station), you'd be close to 5 getting back on board. That's about as close as I'd want to cut it for a 6 PM departure, especially since I always allow some extra time for the unexpected when I'm driving a long distance at a port.

We did a private tour with others from out roll call. It was easy and not that expensive. The drive is long and not very interesting, with not much to see on the way. We stopped at a 7-11 type place for rest rooms and snacks. If there were restaurants in the towns--I'm assuming there were-- we did not notice them as we just drove through. Actually, not much for towns at all.

Our guide did accompany the group to see the penguins, although the group did spread out and not do everything together, but really you could do this on your own with no problems. Personally, it wouldn't be worth it to us to drive ourselves, but certainly doable.

We took a private tour to Península Valdez while in Puerto Madryn. When we arrived at one of the penguin viewing sites, there was a car full of tourists with a flat tire. Fortunately some of the drivers from the same company that we used were helping them change the tire. Considering the fact that most sights from the port are 2 to 3 hours away, we were really glad we were with a tour group. Having GPS and maps are good, but there are chances of vehicle breakdowns and flat tires to consider, especially on a lonely road.

I have driven to Punto Tombo several times. You do NOT have any time to "stop " for lunch. It is a long dull boring drive. And Absolutely have a good downloaded GPS roads are NOT well marked and it's easy to miss turn offs. The gravel is a slow drive you much comply with so do not underestimate time and distances. Everyone need to have ID. Your passports are collected so make certain everyone has a copy along with another official ID, last 2 times, I've hit check points.

Alternatively, right on the dock is walk up bus companies that efficiently go there and north to the Valdez Peninsula (I've driven to both.)

I'd look to see if any rental office opens at 8am, if not, then be waiting at the door of the - early and be FIRST. It can take 20 minutes to complete rentals - per person, and there can be only one agent. I simply just walk to offices.

• 2 weeks later...

The roads are poor and mostly gravel. I would be afraid that my rental car would be damaged driving over the roads.

We found an inexpensive private tour and it was excellent. I recommend taking a tour.

The roads are poor and mostly gravel. I would be afraid that my rental car would be damaged driving over the roads.

We found an inexpensive private tour and it was excellent. I recommend taking a tour.

I don't know what route you took, but we found the roads to be excellent. The vast majority of the route is on Ruta 3, which is a major thoroughfare. Only the last 20 km or so is gravel, and it is hard packed gravel which is easy to navigate. The only thing you have to be careful about is to not exceed the speed limit.

Most reviews indicate that it is a good paved highway with the last 20 miles, hard packed gravel.

By an inexpensive private tour I imagine it was around $100 per person with a fairly small group. To compare, cruise cost is $180 pp with a large group. A full size car for 4 adults from budget with unlimited milage is $40 pp including, gas, insurance. All estimates include the $15 park fee.

Thanks everyone for their advise. I will post early in the new year and give you a review of our trip.

• 4 weeks later...
We did a private tour with others from out roll call. It was easy and not that expensive. The drive is long and not very interesting, with not much to see on the way. We stopped at a 7-11 type place for rest rooms and snacks. If there were restaurants in the towns--I'm assuming there were-- we did not notice them as we just drove through. Actually, not much for towns at all.

Our guide did accompany the group to see the penguins, although the group did spread out and not do everything together, but really you could do this on your own with no problems. Personally, it wouldn't be worth it to us to drive ourselves, but certainly doable.

We took a private tour to Península Valdez while in Puerto Madryn. When we arrived at one of the penguin viewing sites, there was a car full of tourists with a flat tire. Fortunately some of the drivers from the same company that we used were helping them change the tire. Considering the fact that most sights from the port are 2 to 3 hours away, we were really glad we were with a tour group. Having GPS and maps are good, but there are chances of vehicle breakdowns and flat tires to consider, especially on a lonely road.

Which company(ies) did you use?

Most reviews indicate that it is a good paved highway with the last 20 miles, hard packed gravel.

By an inexpensive private tour I imagine it was around $100 per person with a fairly small group. To compare, cruise cost is $180 pp with a large group. A full size car for 4 adults from budget with unlimited milage is $40 pp including, gas, insurance. All estimates include the $15 park fee.

Thanks everyone for their advise. I will post early in the new year and give you a review of our trip.

Not sure what you'll be reviewing, but an extremely important factor with a car rental- is some have limited klm rentals. It's absolutely essential , you be first in line at the rental desk. Car rentals are NOT a quick process, I've had it take 20 minutes. Many times, only one agent. With that, the dock is LONG, there will be a ship shuttle back and forth, strive to catch this.. I have also walked, but I moved along after just missing a shuttle. Outran everyone- since I knew right where I was going. :) And again, first in line.

I think only the last 10-15 km, if that, is unpaved. Did it first time in 2003 driving south from Trelew on the main highway, and turned off quite a few Km south to go through unpaved, unsignposted roads. Wonderful experience of being there close to sunset as that's when the adults are coming back. This was March when mot of the chicks looked larger than their parents. Wife found the way using just an old-fashioned map. Found the straight road heading back, which was all unpaved to Trelew.

Went back in ~late November or early December 2009 and the direct road to the final turn off had been paved (still using paper maps). Made it much easier. From there, we went down the coastal (unpaved) road to Camarones and Cabo Dos Bahias. Chicks were just hatching.

Valdes was still unpaved in 2009. Took the unpaved road both times that skirts the port.