Santos Tour Guide

150edmiston

Hi, we dock in Santos (for Sao Paulo) in March 2019.

Has anyone used a guide in Santos that they would recommend for a tour?

We're not sure about taking a trip to Sao Paulo as from what I can see it looks pretty industrial. Any ideas / suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

David

David, São Paulo is the biggest city in Brazil as well as the financial center. You have hugde commercial buildings with very interesting skyline and architecture. São Paulo has a good collection of museums plus top restaurants and some historical buildings. Nearby Santos you have Guaruja with beautiful beaches (nice than Santos itself). Santos is the biggest port area in Brazil a lot of traffic around.

Should you be interested in soccer, in Santos you can find Pele Museum. And the Coffee Museum is also interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Santos is a great touring area it's self. But for me, it was simple and superior to just travel on my own. Uber and Taxis are plentiful to the downtown. The Coffess Exchange is interesting , the very historic Tram is excellent, Pele Museum etc etc funicular, various historic buildings etc offer a full day. Plenty to see and do.

• 4 weeks later...

We found that taxis were easy to use and fairly cheap. We went to the Pele Museum, had a ride on the trolley bus, went up the funicular and had a walk on the beach, catching taxis in between most stops. The sea is so warm it is like walking in a bath. The taxi on the way back to the port tried to rip us off but we just refused to pay that much and gave him what we'd paid for the other taxi rides. He was quite happy with that.

We love to walk around new towns. Is Santos ok for walking? The tram, Coffee Exchange, Monte Serrat and the Jardin da Orla da Praia all look interesting. I’ve looked for a self guided walking tour on long but cannot find one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We love to walk around new towns. Is Santos ok for walking? The tram, Coffee Exchange, Monte Serrat and the Jardin da Orla da Praia all look interesting. I’ve looked for a self guided walking tour on long but cannot find one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Jardin is ok, but no where near the other on the list, so, you'd need to take the bus,, cab, uber between the 2 area.

In Brazil, you have to have good self protective habits. I have to say many people do not. staying on main busy walk ways is essential. But Santos is pretty safe. They should be handing out maps at the port.

Take the Tram first, that orientates you to the highlights. Better to figure out where you want to go and see and route yourself. Fodors- is pretty concise for information- try your library.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you! I was trying to figure out where you catch the tram..it does look like a great orientation. I didn’t have any luck finding that info on line.....where did you catch it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You catch the tram at the Valongo Station in the historic centre. It is about 6km by taxi - should be fairly cheap. The tram (called bonde) itself costs R$ 7 per person (about $2) and takes 40 minutes. It runs from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. except on Mondays. The station is very close to walk to the Pele and Cafe museums.

After seeing the historical centre, take a taxi to Gonzaga beach and then another one back to the port. They are about equal distance (6km) from each other.

You catch the tram at the Valongo Station in the historic centre. It is about 6km by taxi - should be fairly cheap. The tram (called bonde) itself costs R$ 7 per person (about $2) and takes 40 minutes. It runs from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. except on Mondays. The station is very close to walk to the Pele and Cafe museums.

After seeing the historical centre, take a taxi to Gonzaga beach and then another one back to the port. They are about equal distance (6km) from each other.

Great info. thanks!