British Hilton vs Melia

edwardsm

Middle aged laid back couple need help deciding between the two resorts for our day in Nassau.

We are not interested the water sports and pools.

Interested in a relaxing clean shaded beach with lounge chairs and or umbrellas. Good food is important too. I'm not a drinker but my husband likes beer and margaritas. We will only be on the beach for about 4-5 hours.

If we choose the Melia, what's the price for a taxi from Carnival pier?

I'm thinking we can eat breakfast on the ship and buy lunch at the resort. Are the food and drinks pricey?

If we choose Hilton, we are paying for food we can get on the ship but saving on cab fare.

which will give us more band for our buck?

The beach at the Melia is much nicer than the Hilton. Food and drink prices are about the same, pretty pricey. The Hilton is almost twice as much but you get a good/drink voucher, so I’d say it’s about equal. We just ate a big breakfast on the ship and then grabbed some food on the ship when we got back.

We just got back from Nassau where we bought a day pass to Melia. We took a cab which was $25 for three of us to get there and $22 to get back to the ship. I thought it was very nice, had no trouble getting chairs at the beach, some did have a umbrellas but all the umbrellas were taken when we got there which was about 10:30 AM. But there were plenty of other chairs and the beach was beautiful. I bought a piña colada for $9 and a small pizza for $12 for my lunch. I would not hesitate to go back. I didn’t hear or see any construction going on at all, place was fairly quiet

I'm looking at Melia too for later this month. But I've heard that they are doing major remodeling and the construction noise is hard to ignore. Can anyone confirm this?

I thought the construction was by British Colonial (building a large building next door).

• Thanks 1

We just got back from Nassau where we bought a day pass to Melia. We took a cab which was $25 for three of us to get there and $22 to get back to the ship. I thought it was very nice, had no trouble getting chairs at the beach, some did have a umbrellas but all the umbrellas were taken when we got there which was about 10:30 AM. But there were plenty of other chairs and the beach was beautiful. I bought a piña colada for $9 and a small pizza for $12 for my lunch. I would not hesitate to go back. I didn’t hear or see any construction going on at all, place was fairly quiet

Did you buy a pass when you arrived at the beach or did you buy it online before you cruised? If so, what was the cost? So nice to hear you had a great time:)

I thought the construction was by British Colonial (building a large building next door).

I have read about the new construction next to the BCH. But I have also read that there is remodeling (major remodeling) at Melia and that construction noise can be an issue.

Melia is farther away from the port and ship so gives you a much nicer island/beach setting. It’s so easy and fun to take the #10 bus to get there also.

My vote would be Melia - planning to go back when we cruise in September!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We decided to take a taxi to the Malia because it seemed the bus stop was quite a long walk in the heat and I was not up for that. Probably would be too far walk for people with mobility problems.

Did you buy a pass when you arrived at the beach or did you buy it online before you cruised? If so, what was the cost? So nice to hear you had a great time:)

We bought the passes ahead of time through http://www.bookatourcaribbean.com

The cost was $47 for adults and $25 for children. This includes use of the three pools, beach, towels and lounge chairs and snorkel equipment. When you book ahead of time you have to pay a 25% deposit and then pay the remainder at the hotel when you check-in. They also give each adult a coupon for a free drink at Starbucks.

I

Edited by Marie51

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, cruiz30 said:

Does the bus take US dollars?

Just to elaborate.  In the Bahamas, US currency is 1:1 ratio and totally interchangeable.  You will see local Bahamians paying with a mixture of Bahamian and US dollars quite often.  Everywhere accepts US dollars and there is no conversion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...