Questions about Cape Town/South Africa? Ask a Capetonian!

Zimbo

I’ve just read the article, we must have been there at roughly the same time as the author. The article accurately describes the drive from Gordon’s Bay to Betty’s Bay under the Kogelburg Mountains, it is stunning.

We will try his restaurant recommendation when we are next in Hermanus in February.

The number of Southern Right Whales gathering in Walker Bay have been getting less each year. The locals say a few years ago you could stand on the coastal path and see whales every couple of minutes. The last time we were in Hermanus (October 17) we didn’t see one. If it’s Great Whites you want to see then Gansbaai is the place - cage diving is very popular there but not for me!

Terry, we visited Hermanus for a day and an overnight two years ago. At least in 2016, it would be a real stretch to say that whale season extended into November, as the season was pretty much over when we were there on October 27th. On our whale watching cruise we saw one straggler with her calf. We liked the town and it's a nice place to visit. Cool coastal location and plenty of nice restaurants, hotels, etc. Just be careful not to go on the "tail end" of the whale season like we did. On the other hand, while driving back from Hermanus to Cape Town you can drive the gorgeous coastal route and stop at Betty's Bay. The penguins are even closer to you than they are in Simon's Town.

Appreciate thesehelpful follow-ups from Globaliser and Omega1. On another CC Board, the travel-experienced J.P. from New York State posted this added, excellent information and background. Thought it would be good to post it here on the Africa CC Board.

While we did not get to Hermanus, nor being there at a time to see the whales, we did make it to Simon's Town. We loved their charming and cute penguins. Shared many pictures earlier on my live/blog from our 2016 South Africa adventure.. Yes, this is a spectacularly scenic part of the world as you travel along this coastal regions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 230,585 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

From The Times newspaper group in South Africa two days ago, they have this headline: 'Exercise increased caution‚' US warns citizens visiting SA with these highlights: The US state department warned its citizens to 'exercise increased caution' in SA due to crime‚ civil unrest and drought – a day after police revealed the latest crime statistics. 'Violent crime‚ such as armed robbery‚ rape‚ carjacking‚ mugging‚ and ‘smash-and-grab’ attacks on vehicles‚ is common‚' a travel advisory warned on September 12. 'There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark.” US citizens travelling to SA were urged to 'avoid walking alone‚ especially after dark'‚ avoid visiting informal settlements‚ drive with doors locked and windows closed. Crime statistics for 2017/18 which were released on Tuesday recorded 20‚336 murders in SA – an average of 56 a day.

A number of other media sources have covered this warning from the U.S. State Department. Not a pretty or encouraging situation.

Full story at:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-09-14-exercise-increased-caution-us-warns-citizens-visiting-sa/

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 240,052 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Terry. The critical part of your post is - There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark.” US citizens travelling to SA were urged to 'avoid walking alone‚ especially after dark'‚ avoid visiting informal settlements‚

There is nothing new here, the only places we would walk anywhere after dark would be in the confines of the V&A Waterfront or in the town of Franschhoek.

We like to stay in B&Bs and our hosts are great sources of up to date advice regarding places to steer clear of and recommended restaurants.

Come to think of it, there are many places in my home city I wouldn’t walk through after dark - some I wouldn’t walk through in daylight as well!

There is nothing new here, the only places we would walk anywhere after dark would be in the confines of the V&A Waterfront or in the town of Franschhoek. We like to stay in B&Bs and our hosts are great sources of up to date advice regarding places to steer clear of and recommended restaurants. Come to think of it, there are many places in my home city I wouldn’t walk through after dark - some I wouldn’t walk through in daylight as well!

Appreciate this above realistic and helpful follow-up, plus the wise comments from Mrs f. We super loved our five days in Cape Town and enjoyed our interactions with the people of this country. Agree that where, when and how you walk in certain cities can be very important, whether in South Africa or the USA. Will keep following the various "issues" in this nation closely.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Now at 34,998 views. See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474