BOSTON to SINGAPORE and Sydney flights

jdapowers

We are cruising March/April 2019 Sydney to Singapore on RC Explorer of the Seas

I have spent hours/days looking at all the options of flights: where layovers are, long vs short layovers, days of the week to travel, price, etc. I've mostly been using Kayak and SkyScanner for research

My current thought is to book a round trip ticket from BOS to SINGAPORE; travel to Vietnam for a few days(there are $50 flights there), and then Vietnam to Sydney; Then after cruise Singapore to BOS.

One I'm looking for anyone's opinions on stop over cities(some are overnight, some are 8 or 12 hours during the day which would give us another "excursion" day in a new place: Amsterdam(on KLM), Dubai(Emirates) Bangkok, London, and others.

Also looking for opinions on trying to go for quickest flight with short stop over, vs spending the day/night off a plane.

A particular airline you had great experience with for long haul flight?

We started doing research on visas as well, but if anyone has any recent experience or tips let me know.

I've looked into Business Class tickets, but decided we will go economy and spend the money saved on another cruise!

Any other thoughts/opinions you have please share.

THANK YOU

As you want to visit Vietnam before the cruise, I would buy an Open Jaw ticket (called Multi City to the public), whereby you fly from Boston to Vietnam, and at the end Singapore to Boston. There are several airlines offering this route with one stop in each direction, with my first choice being Emirates with a stop in Dubai, my second choice would be a Hong Kong stop. There is also a route with a stop in CDG Paris, but that is my least favorite city for making a connection.

Then you can just buy a one way ticket from Vietnam to Sydney to join your cruise at the beginning.

We are cruising March/April 2019 Sydney to Singapore on RC Explorer of the Seas

I have spent hours/days looking at all the options of flights: where layovers are, long vs short layovers, days of the week to travel, price, etc. I've mostly been using Kayak and SkyScanner for research

My current thought is to book a round trip ticket from BOS to SINGAPORE; travel to Vietnam for a few days(there are $50 flights there), and then Vietnam to Sydney; Then after cruise Singapore to BOS.

One I'm looking for anyone's opinions on stop over cities(some are overnight, some are 8 or 12 hours during the day which would give us another "excursion" day in a new place: Amsterdam(on KLM), Dubai(Emirates) Bangkok, London, and others.

Also looking for opinions on trying to go for quickest flight with short stop over, vs spending the day/night off a plane.

A particular airline you had great experience with for long haul flight?

We started doing research on visas as well, but if anyone has any recent experience or tips let me know.

I've looked into Business Class tickets, but decided we will go economy and spend the money saved on another cruise!

Any other thoughts/opinions you have please share.

THANK YOU

You might want to look into Cathay Pacific. You could do Boston to Sydney and Singapore to Boston for about $1300 per person total. Both flights stop in Hong Kong.

I have been looking into BOS to HK and SING to BOS and it's a little over $1100, with BOS to HK being direct and that Singapore to Boston leaving at 10 am from Singapore, arriving in HK at 2 pm, 4 hour layover, and the 15 hour flight to BOS arriving before 10 pm.

I am going to try pricing it out on Choice Air as well as some are saying that Choice can get deals on premium economy and business class.

You might want to make use of a good locally-based TA in Beantown in helping to come up with routing, for example, have you consider - assuming 2 of you have the extra time for those stopovers & quick visits, take into account effects of jetlags - to fly "east" via a European gateway first ??

Thus, you can make Amsterdam and Dubai en route stopover, then, get to Sydney for your cruise - enjoy those lovely sea days & port of calls, disembark at Singarpore, spend 2 or 3 days there, continue to Vietnam - HCMC & Hanoi, etc. (that's another 5 to 7 days at a leisure pace) - fly home via Hong Kong or another gateway, finally BOS.

Look into One World (Cathy Pacific is a member of)'s and they have round-the-world fares, depending on the routing & stops, etc. - it can be a nice & affordable way to travel. You can do a mock booking yourself online via CX's link on their website, put in the cities & it will display available flights, times/connections, etc. and come up with a price for the entire itinerary.

Think outside the box ... i.e. flying via Europe to East Asia isn't common but it can routed "that" way with decent fares. Also, if you can use JFK as your gateway/home city to fly - more options might be available ... the newer Asian-based carriers are flying the newest aircrafts and better in-flight services/amenities, we use CX and Korean Air when going abroad.

Delta's rollout of their fleetwide B777 upgrade to 3-3-3 configuration in coach is much welcomed but they still have a long way to go ... forgetaboutit when it comes to United, the once Friendly Skies/Friendship Services of the 1980's and 1990's (not anymore).

Edited by mking8288

Doing same itinerary as the OP, same time frame, different ship. Also have spent many hours the past few days trying to find a good route from Tampa area to & from SYD/SIN. Not easy. Best option seems to be to go out of Orlando. OR to fly out of JFK, with only 1 1/2 hours to change planes at LAX.

COming back is an issue though. I found a flight that leaves Singapore at 12:55 PM. Our ship is supposed to get in at 8 AM. WIll I have a problem catching that flight? Next flights are not until around midnight. Not interested in spending time in Singapore - just was there a few years ago.

THANK YOU for all your experienced info. I'm going to take some more time, think about it and then pick up searching again. Funny search, which I never thought of, came up with our little airport in RI (PVD) as a cheaper flight than out of Boston. We don't mind traveling out through Boston or even NYC, but coming home after the vacation, the appeal of landing 15 min away is catching my eye!