UAE in November 2018

Hi Everybody!

We are planning ahead to November '18 when we hope to sail on Discovery and go to Dubai, Abu Dhabi Bahrain etc. Has anyone been to these ports of call and taken any of the tours or used local tour companies? Any information would be gratefully accepted. Thank you

On your overnight in Dubai if you have one do the burj kalifa trip from the ship its fantastic and you jump the queue to go up the tower The sights from the observation floor are fantastic and the speed you get up there in the lift is incredible

If you have the money, the trip I did in Dubai was the private seaplane tour. You got picked up at the ship by a limousine, then taking to a nearby dock and boarded a seaplane that only held 12 passengers. Everyone was in a window seat and when the pilot did his announcement, he just turned around and spoke to us all.

We then flew over the landmarks, the palm islands, the world map and around the Burg, not over it as it was too high for the seaplane to do that. You then land back on the water after a 30-minute flight and get the limousine back to the ship.

The cost for this trip was £250 per person but worth every penny.

Bahrain, you have got to do a trip that visits the Prince's private camel farm. So many camels and you get to feed them, stroke them, but not ride them. You also see the bridge and all the other major landmarks on this tour.

There is so much to see and do in these countries, so all depends on what interests you.

Shopping - yes, pick the old souks for best bargains and haggle on everything.

Sightseeing - yes, loads of landmarks, buildings and history.

Adventure - yes, from 4x4 off road dessert driving to diving off the coast and swimming into a WWII bomber jet.

Beach - yes, loads of sandy beaches with the facilities of the hotels included. Worst hotel is a Hilton at only 5 stars, that is the level of excellence this country has.

Anything else, just ask.

As SausPud says the visit to the camel farm is very good

We did a beach trip in AbuDhabi to a hotel with loads of sun beds an infinity pool and a man made beach - lovely to relax after so many excursions

The boat trip down the Southern fiords through the mountains in Muscat (I think) was also good - saw loads of dolphins

• 4 weeks later...
we are going there in november coalman we might see you there and on trips

I've only just seen your reply Denn1. You may very well see us.... espies if you sort them out for all of us! ;-)

Thank you to everyone else for your input and advice....much appreciated :-)

• 4 months later...
If you have the money, the trip I did in Dubai was the private seaplane tour. You got picked up at the ship by a limousine, then taking to a nearby dock and boarded a seaplane that only held 12 passengers. Everyone was in a window seat and when the pilot did his announcement, he just turned around and spoke to us all.

We then flew over the landmarks, the palm islands, the world map and around the Burg, not over it as it was too high for the seaplane to do that. You then land back on the water after a 30-minute flight and get the limousine back to the ship.

The cost for this trip was £250 per person but worth every penny.

Bahrain, you have got to do a trip that visits the Prince's private camel farm. So many camels and you get to feed them, stroke them, but not ride them. You also see the bridge and all the other major landmarks on this tour.

There is so much to see and do in these countries, so all depends on what interests you.

Shopping - yes, pick the old souks for best bargains and haggle on everything.

Sightseeing - yes, loads of landmarks, buildings and history.

Adventure - yes, from 4x4 off road dessert driving to diving off the coast and swimming into a WWII bomber jet.

Beach - yes, loads of sandy beaches with the facilities of the hotels included. Worst hotel is a Hilton at only 5 stars, that is the level of excellence this country has.

Anything else, just ask.

Ships tours or private? Any details

Thanks

Helen

Lots of info such as "where you are docked, things to do etc" in the DESTINATIONS section of this site. You can find it in the RESEARCH drop down.

Also on the Africa and ME Boards. Lots of info, questions and answers on there. Once on that forum you can use the SEARCH THIS FORUM with the names of your ports in turn, and all threads with these words in them will appear in the results ready for you to read.

It is also where you would usually find recommended tour operators etc.

Hi All

Here is the link to the official Dubai website. Loads of useful information.

https://www.visitdubai.com/en

I will start posting useful tips and info on our roll call for 22nd Nov from Aqaba - Dubai. Here's the link :_

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56995629#post56995629

Edited by lexdisic
missing information

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 8:29 PM, Vitalsign said:

On your overnight in Dubai if you have one do the burj kalifa trip from the ship its fantastic and you jump the queue to go up the tower The sights from the observation floor are fantastic and the speed you get up there in the lift is incredible

Thank you for that information. Just jumping the queue has 'sold it' to me! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 11:19 AM, holidayhelen said:

Are you booking tours with your cruise company or independantly? Any advice on any tour companies in the UAE - thanks

Hiya Helen. Sorry it has taken so long to respond to your query.  Denn and his wife and me and my wife have booked with Thomson for  Petra.  Bahrain, the Black and Gold with Thomson.  Abu Dhabi city tour with Thomson and the Heights n Sights with Thomson in Dubai.  We are doing our own tour with Sunshinetoursoman.com for Muscat on the 2nd day. They have good TripAdvisor reviews and then I am doing a Dhow trip with Khourshem Tours  in Khasab. 

I have done a fair bit of on-line searching and I think that I have discovered that the private tours are similar priced to Thomsons trips... so.... I look forward to being corrected, if there are better trips/deals out there that would be great. :-)