General wedding question

Has anybody ever done like a pre-reception for those who aren’t sailing with you?

We got lots of push back and got told we were being selfish because we wanted to get married on a cruise ship. (Getting married in Grand Cayman) We were very understanding of our family/friends it they were unable to make it due to finances/other situations.

We’re planning on having a Wedding celebration instead of a normal bridal shower so that our family/friends can still celebrate with us before our big day.

Thoughts?

I’m getting married on NCL Escape in October and I heard a lot of comments from people about doing it like this as well. Instead of a Bridal Shower, we’re having a pre-cruise brunch which guests that aren’t sailing are coming to.

'We'd be delighted if you could share OUR DAY ...', as the Wedding Invitation says. Everybody has an opinion to offer (the most vocal coming from those with the least 'entitlement' to comment on what must/must not be done/who must/must not be invited etc). The only criterion is that the arrangements meet the (guilt-free) wishes of the Happy Couple. It's your day, not theirs (Chorus Line should never have speaking parts ...).

Being a cynic, I posted on another thread recently that I would book a B2B cruise if I were getting married - the second leg would serve for the separation ... :))

We decided to do Embarkation day specifically for that reason. DF's family and mine are not local to each other, so no matter where we held things, a significant number of people were going to have to travel. At least with embarkation day, EVERYONE travels and no one has to go on a cruise who doesn't want to (ie, the dads. Retired coast guard and retired navy and I don't think you could get either one on a cruise ship for longer than a few hours for love or money.... :P)

...no one has to go on a cruise who doesn't want to (ie, the dads. Retired coast guard and retired navy and I don't think you could get either one on a cruise ship for longer than a few hours for love or money.... :P)

Really? My boyfriend was in the Navy for 10 years and he and I are planning for a cruise ship wedding and he's just as excited as me about it.

Being a cynic, I posted on another thread recently that I would book a B2B cruise if I were getting married - the second leg would serve for the separation ... :))

My boyfriend and I are planning for a B2B. First one is the wedding cruise with all the family and friends. Second one is just us for the honeymoon.