New to Marella ??s docs/tags/southampton parking etc. Help :)

Hi

We have been cruising for 20 years. Never usually do British cruising, and never from Southampton.

Never experienced not having pre cruise documents and luggage tags etc.

All I have is a pdf "ticket" no information. We booked via our banks travel service.

We have a Grand suite and chose our cabin number when booking.

When/where do we get luggage tags?

What is the situation for check in at Southampton?

Travelling with very elderly mother who is wheelchair bound

Have booked the car parking - how do we get from car park to the embarkation point etc?

All advice most welcome

and how come no luggage tags?

Hairdryer - is there a 110 volt plug at the vanity area ?

Many thanks.

Sorry can't help with Southampton but we did a cruise on Discovery from Newcastle. We arrived at the port with our e-ticket. They had all our details and issued the luggage tags which were very quickly attached and our luggage whisked away, arriving later in our cabin. Don't forget your passport, someone forgot it as they were not flying and we had to wait until their relatives arrived with the passport. A hairdryer was in the drawer in the cabin, enjoy your cruise

We sailed from Southhampton with another cruise line in August. The Port was a manageable size when compared to prior embarkations ( mostly US) and well organized.

Cruise lines seem to be getting away from mail or courier delivered packages. PDF is the new Norm.

Hi

We have been cruising for 20 years. Never usually do British cruising, and never from Southampton.

All I have is a pdf "ticket" no information. We booked via our banks travel service.

Have booked the car parking - how do we get from car park to the embarkation point etc?

All advice most welcome

Many thanks.

Hi Blondie oo8

i work for a park and ride company in So,ton, and was taking passengers and cases down to Discovery for her last two cruises, what will happen when you get dropped of you will be given a trolly like those at airports load your case,s and proceed to main entrance, at entrance there will be persons at a desk that will ask for your cabin number if you have one, if not most probably you will be given deck 2 or 3 tie tags to cases and porter will take them away for xray and forward to your cabin , after that go and book in as usual. happy cruising

Hi

All advice most welcome

Many thanks.

Hi,we too are sailing from Southampton and have only got our 'CONFIRMATION/E-TICKET' documentation for travel. Within that email correspondence from Tui there is the following paragraph:

IMPORTANTINFORMATION ABOUT CHECKING IN

The last check in time is 2 hours before the advertised sailing time, so build plenty of time into your schedule for checking in and boarding.For cruises departing from the UK you can check in at the cruise terminal between 12:30 - 15:00 and board from then on. When you reach the port, you’ll be given a welcome envelope with your cabin number, onboard account card and luggage labels inside. Attach the labels to your luggage straightaway and leave your cases on the quayside, the ship’s porters will take them to your cabin. There might be a short delay while this happens, so pop any essentials you need into your hand luggage. Your on board account card doubles as your boarding card, so you should keep it on you at all times -you’ll need to show it at the gangway and when you pay for something.

I have sailed from Southampton several times before, though not with Marella and you either roll up in a taxi and give your cases directly to the porters or drive up in your car, again hand over your cases then go to the parking area or hand over your keys for valeted parking. In these instances, we have already had luggage labels with cabin numbers attached to our cases.

So, because wehaven't got luggage labels beforehand, prior to handing over yourcases, there must be an intervention by port staff to give you yourdocumentation so that you can at that point attach labels (we've donethis at Harwich and Newcastle with Thomson in the past and staff havebeen at the gate to the reserved car parking area to hand outenvelopes as you enter. We had shuttle buses then to transfer us theshort distance to the ship - not sure about the arrangements inSouthampton though). I can see how this works - folk just queue intheir cars and are given their documentation - but we are arriving bytaxi so I'm guessing we will have to approach a desk or something toclaim our labels before we give our cases to the porters. No doubt itwill all fall into place! One thing about Thomson in the past, theirorganisation has always been very good - much better than some we'veexperienced.

I assume you have asked for assistance forboarding with your mother in which case I'd assume some help would beon hand when you make yourself known - if not I'd ring the numberalso in the E-Ticket documentation. They would no doubt talk youthrough any issues, concerns you may have about embarkation.

REDUCEDMOBILITY

Below you'll find the accessibility information about each part of your holiday. If you, or anyone travelling with you needs special assistance, or is planning to take a mobility aid on holiday, be sure to contact Customer Welfare on 0203 451 2585. They'll be happy to answer your questions. Lines are open Monday to Friday 09.00-19.00,Saturday 09.00-18.00, and Sunday 10.00-17.00. Calls from UK landlines cost the standard rate, but calls from mobiles may be higher, so please check with your network provider.

I have some of those plastic luggage labels which I will put on our cases with the cabin number - belt and braces!

http://www.thanetdirect.com/index.ph...e=products_new

Hope that helps.

Thanks all,

you have been so helpful!

I am concerned traveling with my elderly Mum -

I have never known no tags, always have everything tagged up pre cruise, and just a wee bit worried about having to get from a car park to the terminal with a wheelchair and our luggage (and husband not coming its all about we girls for this one).

From what I can gather its City Cruise Terminal, Solend Road, Western Docks.

Go there first, see staff, drop my Mum and luggage off, park the car, and go back

Valet Parking? That would be great if that's available..that would be a huge help..

Happy to tip generously for that service ..

Thanks for your help.

Thanks all,

I have never known no tags, always have everything tagged up pre cruise, and just a wee bit worried about having to get from a car park to the terminal with a wheelchair and our luggage (and husband not coming its all about we girls for this one).

Go there first, see staff, drop my Mum and luggage off, park the car, and go back

Valet Parking? That would be great if that's available..that would be a huge help..

Thanks for your help.

I'd definitely ring the Customer Welfare number and get them to talk you through the arrangements for your Mum. It will put your mind at rest if you can picture what you have to do.

Thanks all,

Thanks for your help.

Hi blondie

just make sure you enter the docks at dock gate 10 normally its 8 because of boatshow the road is closed,

any way sounds like your parking with the port operator A.B.P and they will be very helpfull look after mum enjoy your cruise PS have done two cruises on discovery very easy to get around enjoy.

I'd definitely ring the Customer Welfare number and get them to talk you through the arrangements for your Mum. It will put your mind at rest if you can picture what you have to do.

I was on the phone to them when I posted the message here..

She was bit hopeless actually.. she knew nothing about Southampton at all, she kept having to ask her supervisor..

Better info here from the folks in "the know" :*

Hi blondie

just make sure you enter the docks at dock gate 10 normally its 8 because of boatshow the road is closed,

any way sounds like your parking with the port operator A.B.P and they will be very helpfull look after mum enjoy your cruise PS have done two cruises on discovery very easy to get around enjoy.

Thanks, tbh I am not keen on idea of British cruising and prefer big monster ships..

But who knows, this might change my mind, I know my husband would love it if we didn't have to fly for cruises..

This is for my Mum... making a three generations trip happen.. Life is short, making the time happen :)

Thanks so much for the help!

Thanks, tbh I am not keen on idea of British cruising and prefer big monster ships..

But who knows, this might change my mind, I know my husband would love it if we didn't have to fly for cruises..

This is for my Mum... making a three generations trip happen.. Life is short, making the time happen :)

Thanks so much for the help![/quote

Really disappointing that they weren't more helpful at the admin department. Still, as I said before we've always found the organisation excellent both at ports for ex-UK departures and on arrival at airports for fly cruises. Hopefully it will be obvious when you get there what the procedures are.

Hope you have a wonderful time - I'm sure it means such a lot to your Mum and you will want it to be very special for her. Which cruise is it you're doing?

Really disappointing that they weren't more helpful at the admin department. Still, as I said before we've always found the organisation excellent both at ports for ex-UK departures and on arrival at airports for fly cruises. Hopefully it will be obvious when you get there what the procedures are.

Hope you have a wonderful time - I'm sure it means such a lot to your Mum and you will want it to be very special for her. Which cruise is it you're doing?

Aw thanks :)

I don't think any of the cruiseline's admins tend to be great, from my experience the on board experience is always better than pre cruise admin -

Thanks for the re assurance.

I don't think I would be fretting at all were it my husband and I .. as long as my wee Mum is fine then that's all good.

The cruise is just in Europe but my Mum has never been on a ship ..not ever.. my daughter lives overseas, so she is flying in to meet us.. and we are just grabbing that special time to treasure.

Having lost my Dad, and then nearly losing my Mum earlier this year, I made a pact with her pre surgery..get through this..we make a trip happen.

She did, and doc has given her the go ahead.. our needs were UK departure, no fly of course and anywhere that we can fly her home in a matter of hours should there be an emergency..

She will love all the Brit stuff ie Yorkshire Tea etc and I hear Bacon Butties are even on offer :)

I am sure it will be wonderful.. We will take her to all the shows, and enjoy our time out.

Hopefully there will be some shore excursions which are wheelchair friendly

If not, I am sure there are taxis around which can accommodate us.

Thanks so much for your kind wishes.

Hi kruzseeka

there are two cruise left from So,ton , northern europe

Bremerhaven

Amsterdam

zeebrugge

lehavre

and cherbourg

the other north cape in search of the norther lights ending at Hanningsvag PS have you anything booked in the near future, we are trying Explorer in march in the Caribbean for our anniversary.

Hi kruzseeka

there are two cruise left from So,ton , northern europe

Bremerhaven

Amsterdam

zeebrugge

lehavre

and cherbourg

the other north cape in search of the norther lights ending at Hanningsvag PS have you anything booked in the near future, we are trying Explorer in march in the Caribbean for our anniversary.

Hello so,ton saint. As a matter of fact yes, we are - the Northern Lights one you mentioned. :D The convenience of going from Southampton was a big attraction and we've always fancied seeing the Northern Lights - but I'm not holding my breath! A bit of a last minute decision but I'm sure we'll enjoy it. I'm packing lots of layers though!

I've just looked up the itineraries for Explorer in the Caribbean - lots of lovely islands. If you enjoy the Caribbean as much as we do I'm sure you'll have a fab time. :) Enjoy!