SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Vista and below would be $12.50, Sig's and above $13.50!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any VF cabin is a not a suite and has a $12.50/p/d HSC.

Zuiderdam is the 7th newest ship. In order, Koningsdam, Nieuw A, Eurodam, Noordam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, and Zuiderdam. The 7 oldest are the 4 R class, the 2 S class, and the Prinsendam.[/size]

OK Thanks for the info.. Have a nice day..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cramming before we leave for our first cruise and I'm reading Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise port book. He states because "US labor laws don't apply to sailing vessels, cruise crew members who receive tips are paid an average base salary (before tips) of about $1 each day."

Average monthly salaries for cabin stewards and bartenders are $2000 after tips.

Is this true? This is nuts! I understand they get room and board (6 people in a small room), but that still doesn't seem like enough for what they do. I know we have automatic tips, and I just took out $100 in $1 bills, but now I'm thinking of going back to get more.

Before people jump all over me about a guilt trip, I'm not guilting anyone, I'm just surprised that it's legal to pay people so little and have their salaries so dependent on tipping. I would prefer to pay more in my cruise cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SLOTheta

I'm cramming before we leave for our first cruise and I'm reading Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise port book. He states because "US labor laws don't apply to sailing vessels, cruise crew members who receive tips are paid an average base salary (before tips) of about $1 each day."

Average monthly salaries for cabin stewards and bartenders are $2000 after tips.

Is this true? This is nuts! I understand they get room and board (6 people in a small room), but that still doesn't seem like enough for what they do. I know we have automatic tips, and I just took out $100 in $1 bills, but now I'm thinking of going back to get more.

Before people jump all over me about a guilt trip, I'm not guilting anyone, I'm just surprised that it's legal to pay people so little and have their salaries so dependent on tipping. I would prefer to pay more in my cruise cost.

It's more like $1500/mo plus tips while they're under contract. They don't get paid for time off between contracts if they choose to take it. I still tip those that take good care of me. Since I frequented the same bars, I usually struck up a friendship with $5 or $10, then whatever I thought appropriate at cruise end.

Edited by blizzardboy

Yes, it is legal. I would suggest that you research the cruise industry some more and you will find lots of criticisms of its employment and labor practices (cruise ships are called sweat shops of the seas for a reason) and environmental practices.

I recently saw an ad for Disney Cruises in which it stated that a crew member would not work more than 91 hours a week. Imagine putting that in the ad - 91/7 = 13 hours a day, every day for 6 months.

It's great that you are thinking about tipping. I hope though that you understand that an extra dollar here or there isn't going to really solve any problems, and may actually simply add to them.

It's more like $1500/mo plus tips while they're under contract. They don't get paid for time off between contracts if they choose to take it.

$1500 plus tips sounds a lot better than $30 a month plus tips. Hopefully, it's the former.

Thanks.

Yes, it is legal. I would suggest that you research the cruise industry some more and you will find lots of criticisms of its employment and labor practices (cruise ships are called sweat shops of the seas for a reason) and environmental practices.

I recently saw an ad for Disney Cruises in which it stated that a crew member would not work more than 91 hours a week. Imagine putting that in the ad - 91/7 = 13 hours a day, every day for 6 months.

It's great that you are thinking about tipping. I hope though that you understand that an extra dollar here or there isn't going to really solve any problems, and may actually simply add to them.

I work 80+ hours a week, but I'm fairly compensated. If 90hrs a week is average on that base salary, that's rough.

How does adding a dollar here and there adds to problems? What problems would tipping above the auto gratuities cause? I'm a tipper, I tip for just about everything. I'm new to all of this and we leave for our first cruise on Saturday!

I work 80+ hours a week, but I'm fairly compensated. If 90hrs a week is average on that base salary, that's rough.

How does adding a dollar here and there adds to problems? What problems would tipping above the auto gratuities cause? I'm a tipper, I tip for just about everything. I'm new to all of this and we leave for our first cruise on Saturday!

They wouldn't do it if it didn't beat the daylights out of what they could make at home. I've spent a lot of time in frank discussions with HAL crews, and other than missing their families, they've been quite happy and said that HAL treats them very well. I was in the automobile business, and in my younger days as a manager trying to work my way up, averaged at least 60 hours/wk and 80/wk happened a couple times a year. I was well compensated, but it sure makes me respect the crew. I only wish I could have had lower rung employees that had the crews' work ethic.

Stats like those overlook the training that the crew gets - in all departments - which, for many, leads to well paying jobs in private industry. The crew, in fact, do better than many so-called "interns" in many US industries.

I know safaris and Africa better than cruise crew wages, but I do know the problem of big (sorry, have to say it) American tippers on an industry with low wages and long hours. Safari guides/drivers sometimes get no wages or live in a country where the average wage is $2 a day. Tips have become a big thing on the safari circuit. My driver/guide worked every day for the 31 days of my travel. We had the same hours which were often up to 12 hours a day. He never had a full day off and though I know he didn't sleep in the vehicle, not all sleeping/food arrangements on the road are pleasant. At least on a ship you tend to have a bed and actual plumbing.

If you tip big, then there is an expectation that all tourists will tip big. Also, the employer knows people tip - so why should they fairly compensate when employee earnings can come from your pocket instead of theirs? This may be the reason people see it as adding to the problem. Tipping is not the same globally and when non tipping cultures are forced to tip, there is resentment and often that resentment trickles down to the poor average Joe/Jane who is trying to do their job. I heard this frequently around the campfires or meal tables in Africa and could see the way they sometimes treated the staff. Suspicion and resentment can develop on both sides - traveller and staff. Tipping is not the answer in my opinion; neither is measuring a wage by our personal yardstick. In many countries, $1500 is more than than an annual wage for a person - not necessarily 'right' but not uncommon.

My driver/guide worked every day for the 31 days of my travel. We had the same hours which were often up to 12 hours a day. He never had a full day off and though I know he didn't sleep in the vehicle, not all sleeping/food arrangements on the road are pleasant. At least on a ship you tend to have a bed and actual plumbing.

If you tip big, then there is an expectation that all tourists will tip big. Also, the employer knows people tip - so why should they fairly compensate when employee earnings can come from your pocket instead of theirs? This may be the reason people see it as adding to the problem. Tipping is not the same globally and when non tipping cultures are forced to tip, there is resentment and often that resentment trickles down to the poor average Joe/Jane who is trying to do their job. I heard this frequently around the campfires or meal tables in Africa and could see the way they sometimes treated the staff. Suspicion and resentment can develop on both sides - traveller and staff. Tipping is not the answer in my opinion; neither is measuring a wage by our personal yardstick. In many countries, $1500 is more than than an annual wage for a person - not necessarily 'right' but not uncommon.

Thank you for the insight. I never thought about it this way. For someone to work extremely hard, and not get paid by their employer, is a travesty. Just because some people are accustomed to tipping and others are not, working and hoping you get a tip to actually compensate you is not the way I would conduct business. Even the tips alone is probably more than these employees would typically get in their home countries, it's still truly sad their their employers, who are making quite a decent profit, can't take care of their employees.

Since I can't control what others do or not do, it's hard for me not to tip someone who has helped me in some way.

I appreciate the perspective.

I worked at a summer camp where I was off a maximum of 6 hours a day and on duty a minimum of 18 for 6 days a week. On the 7th day, I was off for 14 hours--from after breakfast until 11 p.m. Like firefighters, the on-duty time included some time to sleep--but we never knew when we'd have to handle a situation in the middle of the night. Like cruise ships, summer camps, at least in my state, are exempt from overtime and minimum wage laws.

has anyone recently sailed on HAL ship and tried to adjust the automatic tips. we feel that 12.50 per day is excessive and want to only pay 8. has anyone been successful in adjusting their tips? if so, how did you do it? thank you so much.

has anyone recently sailed on HAL ship and tried to adjust the automatic tips. we feel that 12.50 per day is excessive and want to only pay 8. has anyone been successful in adjusting their tips? if so, how did you do it? thank you so much.

I think you just let your room stewards know so that they can adjust their service.

Seriously, I believe you need to talk with the front office to adjust your service charge. For myself, I've never sailed on a HAL ship (and I'm 4 star) where I thought $12.50/day was excessive.

Just an FYI ... as others here (on CC) have stated, those aboard who serve you will be aware of your adjustment.

Because the feeling of being completely pampered is of great value to me, I would never change the service charge (I usually tip extra) but, of course, everyone is free to do as they choose.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

You need to go to the front desk and fill out a form stating how much you wish to pay or if you do not wish to pay anything. All the adjustments will show on your final account.

When you do go to the front office to reduce your Hotel Service Charges, there is a form you sign and you will be asked why you are doing this.

Also, at the end of the cruise, should you decide to give anyone an extra tip personally, those people are not allowed to keep it. They must turn it in and it will be divided among all crew.

Your names will be passed onto all supervisors who in turn pass your names onto the staff that works under them.

Do appreciate that tipping is of individual concern. Several have told you how to change the daily service charge, which is of course your option. We all need to do what we feel is correct for us.

You may or may not be aware of where that money goes. The highest amounts go to your room steward and dining steward, lesser amounts go to everyone else who provides a service for you such as your assistant room and dining stewards, Lido, pastry and dining chefs, food runners, laundry people, people who clean the public areas, etc. etc. etc. Personally, I have never had any objection about this charge (and also tip extra for exceptional service) as for perspective, I just think of what I would have tipped for an equivalent dinner at a restaurant on shore and then there is the service provided by so many others.

Have you ever taken a cruise? In 25 cruises, I have never even contemplated adjusting the hotel service charge. When you see how hard these people work, it would be embarrassing to adjust the hotel service charge. You may also affect the chances of their contract being renewed. Think twice.

As others have already mentioned, you can make the adjustment at the front desk. I would advise waiting until near the end of your cruise to do it, so that you can really experience how hard the crew works to make your cruise an enjoyable event before you make such a decision.

In my 15 HAL cruises I have never reduced the automatic tips as I did not feel warranted in doing so. Were some crew members better than others? Of course they were, but for the most part the crew did a great job for us. I also believe in giving additional tips to crew members who do an exceptional job, even though it is not necessary nor generally expected by the crew.

When you look at the $25 a day a couple spends with automatic tipping, it compares fairly well with what we spend daily when on land (three meals, maid service, bellman, shuttle drivers, etc.) for less service than we get onboard.

On our last cruise on Eurodam wegot anyrime diningand a great wait staff who went out of their way to find gluten free food for 1 ,no green peppets for me ..and servedus avariety ofberries according to our tastes evey night .I liked strawberries, my friends liked blackberries and blueberries and raspberries ..so every night our waiter preparedlittle cups of each and we got them with dessert .Plus myfriends hubby loved cheese plates with certain crackers and got that every night

Needless toadd not only didwenot remove the tips but gave him each an extra .He deserved it well ...I think he was very happy with our gestures ....

Waitbefore you judge on service ,Inmye perience it is amazing and all workers deserve their salary ..because tht is what service charge is .....so dont remove their salary

I'm curious to know how you came up with the exact amount of $8.00 being acceptable. How did you calculate this? Was it a number that just popped into your head? I'm not being disrespectful, just trying to understand your decision.

Tipping seems to be an issue with lots of people. They spend thousands on a cruise, airfare, excursions and yet they worry about over tipping a few dollars a day. I just don't get it, but to each his/her own.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Funny, I think $12.50 is FAR too low and always adjust upward.

We don't adjust, & we also tip extra in most cases..Only once on another cruise line did we not tip extra to our Room Steward.. Most hotels & cruise lines do not permit adjustments to their Service charges, but HAL does, which is fine for those who do not receive excellent service... This can be done at the front desk, but be prepared to explain why you believe your service was lacking..

IMO someone who makes a blanket statement that $12.50 a day is excessive does not travel or eat out very often.. Even one $100 meal at the least expensive restaurant in town calls for a 15% to 20% tip & you are receiving three meals per day plus make up & turn down cabin service..You don't even have to make your bed, wash your dishes or clean your bathroom.. Isn't that worth at least $12.50 a day per person to you?

We are booking car to pick us up & take us to Ft. Lauderdale..The car will cost $320.00 & the mandatory tip is $64.00 (20%) for the driver..

When you are on a cruise, think about what the daily cost of your cabin is.. Don't believe $12.50 per day is even a 10% tip for your cabin.. The least expensive Balcony Cabin for two on our cruise is $181 a day.. A 20% tip is actually $36 per day 15% would be $27 per day..

Edited by serendipity1499

The HSC is not a tip. It is a charge for service. If you do not pay it you are cheating those with far less money than you out of their fair wages. Think about that each time a crew member is nice to you. :mad: Edited by jtl513