Just Back from SeaDream 1-Marigot to Bridgeport

richb21

We just returned from our 2nd SeaDream cruise and first in the Caribbean, equalled or exceed our experienced 3 1/2 years ago.

Ship was full, and i think most are sold out the next month or two, both due to being in season and some after effects from the fire last fall. There was group of 14 from Texas on the ship and they mixed well with others and were a pleasure. Probably 75% US and 25% elsewhere, the UK particularly well represented, and no kids in sight. The passengers got along quite well with the exception of a brief flare up between a feisty 75'ish old woman from the Northeast and one of the Texans and (no surprise) the subject of the flare up was the current US President. I will give no more details and say no more!

Staff was exceptional across the board, will call out Alastair for being particularly visible who along with the great cuisine was overheard gently admonishing one of the staff for telling a guest something was not possible, saying that is an unacceptable response. Gareth's shoreside actives and casuals were well attended and got good reports. (we did one) One thing commented on here from time to time is that the wine mark ups are very reasonable and Christian's recommendations spot on, i would reiterate both.

As for excursions, would note that in this part of the Caribbean, or at least where these excursions went, neither the coral or the fish were much to look at, so keep that in mind. I think there was more to see a few years ago but not so much today. We took two exceptional excursions, and they were exceptional for two very different reasons. I would highly recommend the excursion to Mustique, it is a full day (7 hours) but it was unlike any other place we had been in the Caribbean. Population is a couple of hundred people, lots of celebrity types or royals, but what was more interesting was the beauty, near empty beaches, and other worldly nature of the island. Also highly recommend the (fairly expensive) lunch at the Cotton Restaurant, SeaDream will make a reservation for you, but the setting and the food are fantastic. On the last morning, we took the Cat Sail to the Nature Reserve, once again, the snorkeling was marginal at best, but the sail was fantastic and I swear that the rum punches served had 3x the rum of any rum punch served on the voyage, and i firmly believe they were just trying (and succeeded) to get us well lubricated for the Caviar Splash which they took us to immediately after the sailing. This excursion had over 40 participants, and all clearly had a very, very good time.

The piano player (I do not recall name) was not on the voyage but a passenger admirably stepped in. Spa treatment very good, all other service as good or better than we remembered it.

A minor suggestion. It might be nice if there was a SeaDream "specialty cocktail list". I like trying new drinks both at home and while traveling, and the bartenders are so experienced, it would be nice if they would share some of their specialties. Of course, one can probably just ask but a specialty list would be a nice effect.

We bought an open booking at the end and look forward to our next one.

Thank you for your review, Rich. It is so nice to hear that you had such a great time, and that the ship is full. It does become an addiction. I feel like we haven't had a "fix" in ages, and I have to remind myself that it was just last month that we were onboard.

Richb, thanks for taking the time to report on your trip. It's been ages (December) for us too since being on SD. As far as specialty drinks, we once sailed with a lady from the Netherlands that would ask the bartender for "a drink this color" based on what part of her bathing suit she was pointing at. The SD bartenders never failed to match the color with something interesting. As far as the political "scrap", whatever happened to us all? We used to be able to sit around and make fun of your guy and you make fun of our guy then agree that none of them made much difference or really had us in mind when they did stuff. Civilized disagreement is/should be the norm in a bar. Hopefully everyone will one day settle down and get on with life just the way we have done for the last 8 years. BTW, not trying to start any trouble here. Thanks again for bringing a spark of life to the SD board.

I just received 3 new swimsuits ordered online for our upcoming SeaDream II cruise (13 days, but who is counting!?) and can't wait to see what the bartenders come up with to match "Antilles Blue", "Electric Fuchsia" and "Powerful Blue"! Should be fun, and I will report back! Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app