HAL degraded us to the Denali Park Village.

donnadoll

What property are they putting you up in that is 8 miles away? I have been there a number of times and McKinley Chalet is in Denali Village. The cabins are closer to Denali Square then the Chalet. You are going to have a great time no matter which place you are in.

Denali Park Village. We were able to change our reservation. Yippee!!!

I believe somewhere buried in the cruise contract and/or tour descriptions there is some mumbo jumbo legalese that states hotels listed are "examples only and Holland America reserves the right to substitute properties of equal quality at it's discretion", or something to that effect.

The cruise lines all expanded the cruise tour offerings for 2017 vs 2016 without an increase in the number of available rooms at the cruise line owned resorts. Compound that with the fact that ALL the resorts (including those owned by HAL/Princess) can be booked direct or as part of land only packages they have no choice but to put cruisetour guests in various lodges. How they determine who goes where and when has to be a logistics nightmare I'm sure!

I do agree that when cruise lines advertise having their own dedicated lodges, and all the amenities therein, so heavily and then quietly trying to move people to other properties is a bit disingenuous. I feel that cruisetours should ALWAYS be accommodated at cruise line properties and ancillary bookings should ONLY be taken once all cruisetours have been accommodated. Sadly in an era of corporations run by bean counters the customer is the last to be considered in the equation. To a bean counter a hotel room is a hotel room .....

I believe somewhere buried in the cruise contract and/or tour descriptions there is some mumbo jumbo legalese that states hotels listed are "examples only and Holland America reserves the right to substitute properties of equal quality at it's discretion", or something to that effect.

The cruise lines all expanded the cruise tour offerings for 2017 vs 2016 without an increase in the number of available rooms at the cruise line owned resorts. Compound that with the fact that ALL the resorts (including those owned by HAL/Princess) can be booked direct or as part of land only packages they have no choice but to put cruisetour guests in various lodges. How they determine who goes where and when has to be a logistics nightmare I'm sure!

I do agree that when cruise lines advertise having their own dedicated lodges, and all the amenities therein, so heavily and then quietly trying to move people to other properties is a bit disingenuous. I feel that cruisetours should ALWAYS be accommodated at cruise line properties and ancillary bookings should ONLY be taken once all cruisetours have been accommodated. Sadly in an era of corporations run by bean counters the customer is the last to be considered in the equation. To a bean counter a hotel room is a hotel room .....

I agree. I knew they could change hotels on you....but it never dawned on me that would happen in Denali. The city hotels are hotels, The Mckinley is a resort with a highly acclaimed entertainment district. I assumed the cruisers got first dibs on the McKinley. we all know what happens when you assume! We are staying at the McKinley now, our travel agent worked some magic!

I agree. I knew they could change hotels on you....but it never dawned on me that would happen in Denali. The city hotels are hotels, The Mckinley is a resort with a highly acclaimed entertainment district. I assumed the cruisers got first dibs on the McKinley. we all know what happens when you assume! We are staying at the McKinley now, our travel agent worked some magic!

Having been to Denali several times. Staying at cruise properties, as well as other hotels. It will be interesting to hear your opinion of the "highly acclaimed entertainment district". The properties are pretty similar. Both have over priced dining and lounges. Both have fairly cheesy entertainment. The biggest different is that you can walk across the street to subway from the main HAL property. Neither are within waling distance of the park visitor center. The tour buses pick you up at both.

Also having been to Denali several (3-4) times I am sitting here puzzling over where you ever read or heard about a "highly acclaimed entertainment district"? I have never seen anything I would even call an ordinary "entertainment District". However, I must say that it has been about 4 years since I was last there - maybe something new and amazing has appeared since then.

When there I have stayed at several different HAL and Princess properties, with no complaints about locations.

Also having been to Denali several (3-4) times I am sitting here puzzling over where you ever read or heard about a "highly acclaimed entertainment district"? I have never seen anything I would even call an ordinary "entertainment District". However, I must say that it has been about 4 years since I was last there - maybe something new and amazing has appeared since then.

When there I have stayed at several different HAL and Princess properties, with no complaints about locations.

I believe the reference is to the newly developed and heavily hyped/marketed Denali Square that went in the past few years.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Denali_Square&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

I believe the reference is to the newly developed and heavily hyped/marketed Denali Square that went in the past few years.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Denali_Square&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

This is a general comment and not directed to you. I do not understand why people who go to Denali worry about or even care about what is or is not in the "entertainment" district. Standing on the Park Highway, seems to me that you should be looking in the direction of Denali and not in the direction of the Subway.

DON

That was the reason for my comment. Not much difference between properties. One newer, but similar experiences. One a bit closer to the park entrance, but neither within walking distance.

This is a general comment and not directed to you. I do not understand why people who go to Denali worry about or even care about what is or is not in the "entertainment" district. Standing on the Park Highway, seems to me that you should be looking in the direction of Denali and not in the direction of the Subway.

DON

While not looking there.

When you have spent a few days on the land tours, eating over priced meals that are pretty much the same, place to place, a cheap lunch at Subway is a nice change. Last time I was there, last year, the Denali subway Franchise was the highest grossing subway franchise. Gives you an idea of the lack of other dining options. Though there was a food truck with pretty good Thai food in the same little area as subway.

Pleased your TA worked some magic and you will now be staying at the McKinley. I can well understand your disappointment at your original hotel allocation, as I would have felt the same way.

DON

While not looking there.

When you have spent a few days on the land tours, eating over priced meals that are pretty much the same, place to place, a cheap lunch at Subway is a nice change. Last time I was there, last year, the Denali subway Franchise was the highest grossing subway franchise. Gives you an idea of the lack of other dining options. Though there was a food truck with pretty good Thai food in the same little area as subway.

The other thing is, if a person has never been to Alaska, they really have no concept of it. It is one of those places you have to experience to understand, imho.

Very upset. We are on the Noordam June 4 Northbound . . .

We are onboard the same sailing as well :) getting excited! So glad it worked out for you [emoji106]

(We are going the semi- extreme route post-cruse.... rented an RV for 8 nights with six of those in Denali including at the Tek campground past the milemarker people can drive to)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are onboard the same sailing as well :) getting excited! So glad it worked out for you [emoji106]

(We are going the semi- extreme route post-cruse.... rented an RV for 8 nights with six of those in Denali including at the Tek campground past the milemarker people can drive to)

You are must braver than we are! Perhaps on our next visit we may do the land on our own! Hope you have a great trip!!

You are must braver than we are! Perhaps on our next visit we may do the land on our own! Hope you have a great trip!!

You as well! Our daughters actually requested the RV the day after I finished all lodge confirmations - we did one for 16 nights through 9 national parks out west two summers ago... and they were disappointed I said we rented a minivan [emoji23] so we will go from being taken care of on the cruise to watching our gray water levels and camping out beyond where cars can drive. Our youngest actually turns 7 in Juneau - it's all about making memories ❤️