Would you do anything different?

parentsof5

Is there anything you would have done differently? Was the Balcony worth it? Would you have spent more money on some things, less on others? Researching on here and saw some comments on things wouldn't have needed to do, spend, etc. Interested to hear people's thoughts.

It is a hard thing to answer. Would I spend money on a balcony? Yes, always. Would I rather stay home then not go in an inside cabin. Yup, I would. I like mini suites. Am I spending a frigging fortune on shore excursions this trip. Yes. Have I gone for less. Yes.

Only you can answer that question. You have given zero information for us to help you. We don't know if this is your first cruise, what cruise line you have decided on, how old you are and your children, if you are taking any. We don't know if you want to do a flight seeing adventure or go as cheaply as possible.

This will be our 5th or 6th Alaskan cruise. I've gone with my children, family and friends and this trip will just be grandpa, me and the 4 grandkids. I'm pulling all the stops out this time. What would I be willing to give up this time? Nothing. Well, maybe the drink package.

If you want good answers to your questions you have to give us good information to give those good answers.

It is a hard thing to answer. Would I spend money on a balcony? Yes, always. Would I rather stay home then not go in an inside cabin. Yup, I would. I like mini suites. Am I spending a frigging fortune on shore excursions this trip. Yes. Have I gone for less. Yes.

Only you can answer that question. You have given zero information for us to help you. We don't know if this is your first cruise, what cruise line you have decided on, how old you are and your children, if you are taking any. We don't know if you want to do a flight seeing adventure or go as cheaply as possible.

This will be our 5th or 6th Alaskan cruise. I've gone with my children, family and friends and this trip will just be grandpa, me and the 4 grandkids. I'm pulling all the stops out this time. What would I be willing to give up this time? Nothing. Well, maybe the drink package.

If you want good answers to your questions you have to give us good information to give those good answers.

I am not asking for help deciding what we will do. Other than deciding between two itinerary's, I have everything pretty much figured out. I am just curious after reading some responses in my research on here that they might not .... insert a couple different "would feel like I had to do this" or "didn't feel like I had to do this" on second time around. .... I suppose I could change my mind, but doubtful.

There aren't to many things I would do different on my cruises. The one thing I will say is do an Alaska cruise before you stop cruising. It has the most beautiful scenery and the glaciers are amazing. Book early for the best prices. We always book at least 1 year in advance. If your not into racking up points then an inside or ocean view room work just fine. Most of your time is spent out and about on the ship.

Is there anything you would have done differently? Was the Balcony worth it? Would you have spent more money on some things, less on others? Researching on here and saw some comments on things wouldn't have needed to do, spend, etc. Interested to hear people's thoughts.

I would not stay home if we could only afford a non-balcony room. I've been to Alaska multiple times, in every kind of accommodation, and I keep going back -- the accommodation is so far down my list of "musts" for Alaska, it is barely a blip on the radar. Life is short -- do what you can, as soon as you can. For me, that means more trips, cheaper cabins.

I no longer spend ages shopping for the perfect souvenir for everyone. If I feel compelled to bring back gifts, they are edible, and they are the same for everyone. I wasted too much valuable time on shopping in the past. No more :)

I will always spend ALL that I can afford, to do the things on shore that I want to do. Sometimes the "afford" is $10 per port, but that's okay too .... I'm in Alaska.

I will no longer haul a huge variety of clothes. Utilitarian, flexible stuff is what I take now.

I don't do "organized entertainment" (stage shows, bars, wine tastings, cooking classes, whatever) on board. I'm out on deck -- watching for whales, usually.

There aren't to many things I would do different on my cruises. The one thing I will say is do an Alaska cruise before you stop cruising. It has the most beautiful scenery and the glaciers are amazing. Book early for the best prices. We always book at least 1 year in advance. If your not into racking up points then an inside or ocean view room work just fine. Most of your time is spent out and about on the ship.

For us it's never about "racking up the points"... it's about having similar accommodations that I would have in a hotel room. We always book a balcony ... That private quiet personal space, we use often regardless of the itinerary. I've especially enjoyed times bundled up in my PJ's & blanket, sipping hot chocolate and looking at the scenery of Alaska go by .

Things I am doing differently, since my first trip...

• first trip was in a balcony... I found it windy/cold in August.... following cruises were done in Oceanviews. Go up to the public decks on glacier cruising days to see the full 360 experience.
  • pay attention to port climate charts. I will seek out cruise months with less wet weather.
  • avoid arriving between noon and 1pm in Vancouver. That's when everyone arrives creating congestion.
  • Vancouver is a great bonus port.... need additional days to take it all in.

Things I am doing differently, since my first trip...

• first trip was in a balcony... I found it windy/cold in August.... following cruises were done in Oceanviews. Go up to the public decks on glacier cruising days to see the full 360 experience.
  • pay attention to port climate charts. I will seek out cruise months with less wet weather.
  • avoid arriving between noon and 1pm in Vancouver. That's when everyone arrives creating congestion.
  • Vancouver is a great bonus port.... need additional days to take it all in.

I have all my excursions planned and am now just beginning to think about Vancouver. We will be in Vancouver 2 days precruise this June. We are staying at the Mariott Pinnacle. I am now tired of all the planning...any suggestions of things to do in Vancouver..restaurants?? Thank You

@donnadoll: What time is your flight arriving? What date are you arriving? With this information, I can suggest an itinerary to maximize your time. In general...

Day 1: Grouse Mountain, Capilano, Fly Over Canada

Day 2: Hop on shuttles to Gastown, Stanley Park and Granville Island

I would not stay home if we could only afford a non-balcony room. I've been to Alaska multiple times, in every kind of accommodation, and I keep going back -- the accommodation is so far down my list of "musts" for Alaska, it is barely a blip on the radar. Life is short -- do what you can, as soon as you can. For me, that means more trips, cheaper cabins.

I no longer spend ages shopping for the perfect souvenir for everyone. If I feel compelled to bring back gifts, they are edible, and they are the same for everyone. I wasted too much valuable time on shopping in the past. No more :)

I will always spend ALL that I can afford, to do the things on shore that I want to do. Sometimes the "afford" is $10 per port, but that's okay too .... I'm in Alaska.

I will no longer haul a huge variety of clothes. Utilitarian, flexible stuff is what I take now.

I don't do "organized entertainment" (stage shows, bars, wine tastings, cooking classes, whatever) on board. I'm out on deck -- watching for whales, usually.

I agree with all of this - but especially with "more trips, cheaper cabins"!

My back-to-back 5th and 6th Alaska cruises are coming up in one month, and they are in an inside studio and an ocean view cabin. I rarely book balcony cabins, and have never had one in Alaska. On the other hand, I booked the excursions I really wanted to do, and they added up to almost as much as the cruise. (Good thing I booked the least expensive cabin for each cruise!)

I am now tired of all the planning...any suggestions of things to do in Vancouver..restaurants??
Thoughts...

• is there something you enjoy? Seafood? Ethnic foods?
  • a few blocks to the South is Robson street. Lots of food options there.
  • Vancouver is a multi-cultural mecca.... especially Asian foods. Dim Sum is an Asian high-tea experience best enjoyed as a "brunch".

@donnadoll: What time is your flight arriving? What date are you arriving? With this information, I can suggest an itinerary to maximize your time. In general...

Day 1: Grouse Mountain, Capilano, Fly Over Canada

Day 2: Hop on shuttles to Gastown, Stanley Park and Granville Island

Thanks. We are arrivng around 12:30 PM on Friday June 2, our cruise is Sun. June 4, 2017. So about 46 hours in Vancouver

Each experience is unique...even if you take the same excursion. One person will enjoy it, others may not. One year it may be spectacular, next time not so much. If you can afford it and you value privacy for scenic viewing, a balcony is nice. Do laundry on the ship so you don't have to pack so much. Be sure to bring binoculars. After several trips we finally did flight seeing last year to Taku Glacier Lodge. You can't do everything in your first trip...after several trips we are finally getting around to doing some of the more expensive excursions.

Pack some lightweight and waterproof warm clothes so that you can layer and get out and enjoy all that Alaska has to offer. You never know what adventure might present itself and you want to be ready on the ship and off.

I would say do not miss an excursion you really want to do over a couple of hundred dollars. You never know if / when you will be back and it costs too much in time and money to get to Alaska, so you might was well spend a little more and do what you want while you are there. I was there 10 years ago and skipped several things I wished I had done due to cost. I am going again next month and will be spending more on excursions than I will on the cruise and air fare to get there. The memories you will have will be worth more and last longer than the money you will save by skipping something you always wanted to do.

Each experience is unique...even if you take the same excursion. One person will enjoy it, others may not. One year it may be spectacular, next time not so much. If you can afford it and you value privacy for scenic viewing, a balcony is nice. Do laundry on the ship so you don't have to pack so much. Be sure to bring binoculars. After several trips we finally did flight seeing last year to Taku Glacier Lodge. You can't do everything in your first trip...after several trips we are finally getting around to doing some of the more expensive excursions.

Pack some lightweight and waterproof warm clothes so that you can layer and get out and enjoy all that Alaska has to offer. You never know what adventure might present itself and you want to be ready on the ship and off.

I have wanted to do the Taku Lodge Flight & Feast since my first Alaska cruise in 2007, and I will finally do it next month. :) The same with the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway.

Less luggage, more time, independent excursions rather than ship ones (it works for us, not for all, everyone needs to decide their own comfort level), always a one way for us since we usually like time at both ends, always a balcony for us as we love our evening pre-dinner wine out there, morning coffee, wind down time at the end of the day no matter what the weather.

Our 1st trip to Alaska was a 10 day, my parents as well as DH & I booked insides. My dad became ill and was quarentined for 2 days, happened to be the 2 glacier days. So yes, balcony or even OV would've made the trip worthwhile. We still book insides when finances dictate and we spend a bit of time worrying about getting sick and missing the sea go by.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I am going to Alaska for the first time, and took it upon myself to follow a lot of the advice you have been given, esp. the don't skip something over a few hundred $. Balcony? Well, I have claustrophobia and motion sickness, a lovely combination, but I need to be able to get outside and put my eyes on the horizon, sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night. So, yeah, I'd stay home rather than travel in an inside cabin. My oldest has motion sickness worse than mine. She'd never cruise without the balcony. My h and my youngest child? Put 'em in a closet. They'd be thrilled just be going somewhere! We're all different.

My priority is life is short and I've always lived for today. In 1994, I went on my "first and only" Alaska cruise. I did all the excursions I wanted at that time. But, something happened- I found myself drawn back- over and over, wanting more, wanting the same having to go there. :)

I was fortunate to have been able to travel so easily and frequently, and find it sobering at times when I'm reminded I am not a norm. I'm restless, and now travel about 1/2 the year. I'm leaving for Alaska around May 12 and will be gone for 6 weeks, on 2 cruises. I plan to return, to Alaska in August, since I really like that time frame.

I suggest, taking advantages. Do what you want, and do it now. :) (no matter what it is in life).

I had booked Alaska years back, and my husband talked me out of us going. Said he'd rather be warm for vacation, so we went to the Caribbean yet again. In 2014 he passed away. We never got to Alaska. In Dec of 2014 I booked an Alaska cruise tour for 2016. I needed time to be able to pay for everything I wanted to do. It would be my first adventure as a single woman. My trip was planned for Aug 2016. In July 2016 I was diagnosed with Cancer. I was more upset that I had to cancel my trip than I was initially about having cancer. I am fortunate I caught it in time and i'm now cancer free. I have rebooked my big adventure for this July. Now my sister, brother in law and niece are coming along. I booked the cabin I wanted, I booked the excursions I wanted, and I will do my best to do everything I can in the time I have in Alaska. Because life is too short and you don't know what tomorrow is going to bring.

I agree don't let a few hundred dollars stop you. Enjoy your trip.

I would book inside for a Caribbean cruise, but not for Alaska. that's just me. Booking single and paying double has put some restrictions on how I like to cruise. But if I have to wait to get what I want, I'll wait a little longer.

Charlie

If I booked a balcony, I would be sitting on it looking at the ports because that would have been my choice balcony over excursions.

So I will be in an inside & I will be taking the excursions that I want.

On all of my cruises (Alaska, Bermuda, Caribbean, Great Barrier Reef, Panama Canal) I have never said, "Sure wish I had a balcony." (When I did have access to one, we never used it.)

I had booked Alaska years back, and my husband talked me out of us going. Said he'd rather be warm for vacation, so we went to the Caribbean yet again. In 2014 he passed away. We never got to Alaska. In Dec of 2014 I booked an Alaska cruise tour for 2016. I needed time to be able to pay for everything I wanted to do. It would be my first adventure as a single woman. My trip was planned for Aug 2016. In July 2016 I was diagnosed with Cancer. I was more upset that I had to cancel my trip than I was initially about having cancer. I am fortunate I caught it in time and i'm now cancer free. I have rebooked my big adventure for this July. Now my sister, brother in law and niece are coming along. I booked the cabin I wanted, I booked the excursions I wanted, and I will do my best to do everything I can in the time I have in Alaska. Because life is too short and you don't know what tomorrow is going to bring.

I agree don't let a few hundred dollars stop you. Enjoy your trip.

I would book inside for a Caribbean cruise, but not for Alaska. that's just me. Booking single and paying double has put some restrictions on how I like to cruise. But if I have to wait to get what I want, I'll wait a little longer.

Charlie

I found your post touching and beautiful. I hope that your trip in July is absolutely amazing.

We usually get an inside cabin and I really don't like it at all, but it stays within our budget and therefore we don't have to penny pinch when we are actually on our trip. I cruised with my adult daughter, we split the cost of the cruise and we did get a balcony. I was a Caribbean Cruise and it was not really that much more expensive...a couple of hundred dollars....not thousands of dollars. We made ourselves sit out there...windy, kind of chill, we spilled wine on ourselves...our cheese and crackers blew away. Two years ago we treated our 2 married children and their spouses on a Disney Cruise...no children yet, so we paid for 3 cabins...we got the oceanview, not a balcony. But Disney ships have a 5 foot porthole with a cushioned seat. so...go in the middle get the middle and get the view without the chilly wind.