My review of our wonderful Alaska Land/Sea trip from 5/15/17-5/28/17 on the Zaandam

LiveLifeLoud

I hope that this thread will be helpful to people who are looking to do a land/sea vacation with HAL. I had a hard time finding out about the land portion. I will get started now and will update and answer questions as I can. Unfortunately work needs me tomorrow! We did the 14 day D3L tour on the Zaandam. Our itinerary was as follows:

Land portion: Fairbanks

Denali

Anchorage

Seward

Cruise ports: Glacier Bay (not really a port but wow!!! so beautiful and has to be noted)

Haines

Juneau

Ketchikan

debark in Vancouver

We arrived at the airport in Fairbanks about midnight. Got our luggage and headed outside to get on the bus and I promptly was welcomed by the unofficial state bird, the mosquito! (I bought bug spray and didn't have anymore problems). We arrived at Westmark Fairbanks Hotel around 1 to 1:30am. One of the elevators was out of service and the staff was so kind to help us and opened up the staff elevator for us to use also. The hotel isn't anything fancy and shows her age but our room was very clean.

We had an early morning excursion (9am) on the Riverboat Discovery then went to see the Gold Dredge and pan for gold. Sorry not posting more tonight. I have to get to bed. I knew if I didn't start this now then life would get in the way and I wouldn't do it. Please bear with me ;0

Back again! The location of the hotel at Fairbanks wasn't very good. Glad we didn't spend more time there. Walked around a bit. Behind the hotel the whole road was dug up so all of those businesses were closed :(

We headed to Denali on a bus. Loved the resort at Denali! We stayed in the McKinley Chalet Resort. Room was great and we could just get out and walk. It is very easy to walk to the square from where we stayed. We were the first bus to arrive for the season and were greeted by all of the employees :) We ate at the restaurant in the square and were told by the manager that we were the first table of the season. Thought that would give us some kind of a gift, but all we got were bragging rights. We also ate at the steak house at the main lodge. All of our food was wonderful! Went into Denali park but we could only go 29 miles. They are now taking people further in. We got to see Denali partially on this trip as she likes to hide. We saw so many animals while we were there. Had a great bus driver! He truly loves what he does. I am trying to remember his name. I do believe it was Gary :)

I am doing the same cruise in August so look forward to seeing your comments and any suggestions for excursions.

Definitely do the Taku Glacier Lodge, Feast & Five Glacier Seaplane Discovery in Juneau! It was pricey but it was worth it!!! We only did the excursions that were part of the package for the land portion of the trip.

Sorry to hear the Fairbanks Westmark is jush meh. We will be there 2 nights. But we will have a rental car to see more than just right there.

You will be just fine then :) Get out and explore! We loved the Steamboat Discovery if you are doing that.

Did you have Denali Dollars in your promotion? If yes, how did they work?

We have Denali dollars for our upcoming cruise. I believe you can spend the dollars at the McKinley Chalet resort.. for dinner, gift shop, drinks etc.

We have Denali dollars for our upcoming cruise. I believe you can spend the dollars at the McKinley Chalet resort.. for dinner, gift shop, drinks etc.

I wonder if they are actual paper certificates in our envelopes. I'd imagined them as a credit on our rooms, but was told there isn't room charge at Denali; just pay as you go

Where do you get Denali Dollars?

I found this information by doing a search on the HAL website:

This Promotion Had Ended

Terms & Conditions

*Denali Dollars offer is based on promo DT. Denali Dollars can be used for dining, tours and shopping on the land/hotel portion of your Journey in Denali National Park. Guests who book Denali Land+Sea Journeys (D1-D8, R1, R6, V7, Y1) will receive US$25 per person (US$50 per stateroom) or Yukon+Denali Land+Sea Journeys (Y2-Y5, R2, R5) will receive US$50 pp ($100 per stateroom.) Denali Dollars are non-transferable, refundable, and not for cash value. For full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com. Offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. Offer ends 19 March 2017. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

So, you had to book a certain cruise tour prior to Mar 19/17 to get the Denali Dollars.

Where do you get Denali Dollars?

Last Aug., 2016...On Stage Alaska was a presentation by Holland America at a Marriott in Cincinnati. If you booked within 2 weeks of the presentation...you were granted several very nice perks, one of which was 50 Denali Dollars. Not sure if it came from AAA or Holland America.