City Forex - foreign currency for collection onboard

Until I received my etickets the other day I didn't know that Fred offered this service - has anybody used it before ?

For those unaware, you order your foreign currency online (or by 'phone) from City Forex, settle the amount required in pounds and your cash will be waiting for you on the ship.

https://www.cityforex.co.uk/

The FX rate was competitive.

They don't appear to offer this for other cruise lines so it looks like a special deal with FO.

Yes, used it once. Very good service. We were able to return any unused currency to Reception on last day for exchange into sterling at purchase rate with no additional charges.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

While I agree it is a nice, helpful service, it is designed for UK-based passengers (as is Fred.Olsen as whole, I believe).

First of all, I was unable to use their website to order travel currency with my non-UK MasterCard. The website and the errors that appeared indicated there was an issue with how I entered my credit card details. At first, I was told that the website does not accept MasterCard, which might not be true and was not consistent with one of the errors I saw.

Then, I was told that the website does not accept non-UK credit cards. The representative I was dealing with got his manager's approval to manually charge my card, but that also did not work (twice).

You can order the travel currency via (international) bank transfer, which I did. So, even though that cost me a bundle, at the end of the day, three non-UK and non-EU currencies will be waiting for me when I board, and I can sell any left over currency back at the same rates...

• 4 weeks later...

Our currency was ready for collection when we boarded - in fact I was sent a reminder to do so.

I stipulated no large bills, 10s and 5s only, and that request was honoured.

Very convenient way of organising foreign currency for UK based customers - and a competitive FX rate.

I just wonder how many Fred Olsen clients are aware of this facility ?

We kept our unused Euros for our next holiday in the EU.