Remember I am a long time cruiser but first time with HAL

To recap

wife and I 43

Son age 11

Mother in law Age 200

Got 2 Neptune Suites

Eurodam December 10

Questions from my wife

1. Are the pools crowded? Is there the usual millions of reserved towels that no one ever claims?

2. Some lines offer seating at the shows for Suite passengers. Does HAL?

3. We were a bit surprised that the main seating was filled up so we went into open seating as we are not late eaters. We would eat at 5 every day if we could. Will they try to change us to main dining on board if requested? My problem with NCL Freestyle is that the service tends to suffer without a consistent wait staff.

4. What does the Neptune Lounge have in it? Food and Drink? At all times of day or just some time?

5. We were in the Haven on the NCL Pearl a few months ago and really liked having a restaurant for our use for breakfast. Is there a similiar offering from HAL?

6. Any other hot HAL Eurodam tips?

Best

Sadric

I can't answer all of your wife's questions but will answer what I can.

2. No.

3. Main seating is at 8 pm. Try asking for early fixed dining which is around 5:30. That may suit you better. If that is also full, then open seating is your best bet. You can try to change again once onboard.

5. Guest in Neptune Suites get to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

6. Make reservations for the Tamarind Restaurant on the Eurodam. Have the Wasabi Crusted Tenderloin. It's really good (if you like beef).

My husband and I like to eat early, also. Once on board, although it is open seating, you can still request a table for 4 at 5:15 or 5:30. We have done this on several ships. Sometimes they will reserve it for the entire cruise. We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and they would only reserve us a table for 3 days, then I would have to request it again. I do, however, always notify them if our plans change and we are not going to be there.

Hope this helps.

To recap

wife and I 43

Son age 11

Mother in law Age 200

Got 2 Neptune Suites

Eurodam December 10

Questions from my wife

1. Are the pools crowded? Is there the usual millions of reserved towels that no one ever claims?

3. We were a bit surprised that the main seating was filled up so we went into open seating as we are not late eaters. We would eat at 5 every day if we could. Will they try to change us to main dining on board if requested? My problem with NCL Freestyle is that the service tends to suffer without a consistent wait staff.

4. What does the Neptune Lounge have in it? Food and Drink? At all times of day or just some time?

5. We were in the Haven on the NCL Pearl a few months ago and really liked having a restaurant for our use for breakfast. Is there a similiar offering from HAL?

Best

Sadric

For your question 5 - yes there is the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast. Nice spot as far as ambience and service go.

For your question 4 - Neptune Lounge always has their coffee machine which is pretty decent - fresh squeezed oj in the morning, (and of course, water, etc.). Afternoon switches from oj to iced tea or whatever.

In the morning, if you like continental breakfast, you could do it in the Neptune Lounge easy - everything from muesli, fruit, smoked salmon, cereals, bagels, whatever. Around 11 a.m. It changes to lunch munchies and around 3 pm to hors d'hoeuvres.

As to your dining - IF you don't have what you want, Neptune Suites are supposed to have preferred dining. Why wait until you are on board? Just log in go to the HAL website and click contact - you'll see an email option - provide the booking # etc and ask if your choice is available.

Sometimes for whatever reason, HAL blocks some of the dining options.

Hope this helps.

To recap

wife and I 43

Son age 11

Mother in law Age 200

Got 2 Neptune Suites

Eurodam December 10

Questions from my wife

Best

Sadric

My responses:

1. Pools may be very popular since there will be kiddies onboard but aft outside pool and hot tubs are usually adults only. Midship pool is open to all and usually gets crowded. There are the usual towel hogs but not too bad, HAL doesn't monitor to my knowledge even though it's posted.

2. Answered

3. As mentioned you may be able to switch but Open Seating should be okay but it does get crowded around 6-7:30.

4. As is with most Staterooms there is a stocked minibar but not free. Neptune has access to the Neptune Lounge on Rotterdam Deck, includes Breakfast foods, Snacks, Lounging area, and Hors d'oeuvres in the pm. Usually a special reception for Suite Guests with the crew?

5. Answered

6. In addition to the Tamarind, which is excellent, try the Pinnacle Grill. Plus for entertainment you must see BBKings Blues Band!!!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are cabanas on the Lido deck on the Eurodam. We rented one over a Christmas cruise when my grandson was 11. It was a hit. We had a place to meet - always had a place to sit and grandson knew where to find us when he tired of the kids club. They also have the retreat cabanas on a higher deck and not near the pool. The butler service in the cabana is another great benefit.

We liked it so much we've already booked one for our NA cruise in February - President's week - lots of families.

Hors d'oeuvres, both hot and cold or only one of the types--your choice--, can be delivered to Neptune Suite guests in late afternoon. Your Concierge in the Neptune Lounge should explain all of the available perks available when you first meet her/him.

Let the Concierge know what your preferred dining arrangements are. He/she ought to be able to help you obtain a schedule that fits your desires.

I was impressed with the food offerings throughout the day in the Neptune Lounge. A toaster was even available in the morning. If one only wants a Continental-type Breakfast, no need to go elsewhere other than the Neptune Lounge.

We are roughly the same ages, with a DD the same age. This December will be our 4th HAL cruise after we did one Carnival years ago.

I completely second the cabana, we had one on the Eurodam a few years ago during a December Caribbean cruise with our Nana, it was worth every cent. DD could go to Club Hal, and then wander back. Never had to fight for deck chairs, which is the real issue. We had dedicated servers who brought us our lunch order, and drinks. Loved it. Nana hung out in the shade with a book all day if she didn't want to go ashore. That was the same cruise we had a Neptune. The Pinnacle breakfast was exactly our pace and style.

Hope this helps, happy sailing!

Sadric

I really need to meet your 200 year old mother-in-law.

Some of the Neptune Lounges have a toaster in them. I can't remember if there was one when we were on the Eurodam last fall. On a couple of the ships we were on recently, including the Eurodam, the Neptune Lounge did not have fresh squeezed orange juice -- just the canned juice.

The Neptune Lounge opens at 7 AM and closes between 8 - 8:30 PM. Continental breakfast from 7 AM - 10:30 AM. Tea sandwiches and wraps from 11 AM - 2 or 3 PM -- also cookies and chocolates, fruit cups, cheeses and other small desserts. From 3 PM until about 8 PM -- cold appetizers. If you talk to the concierges before Noon, you can order afternoon tea to be delivered to your cabin AND you can order hot appetizers (for a later time than tea time).

The Pinnacle Grill is wonderful for breakfast. On Sea Days it is open from 8 - 9:30 AM. On port days -- 7:30 - 9 AM.

Don't know your plans for the various ports but if you are going ashore at a tender port and have not booked a HAL excursion, you do not need to get a tender ticket. Just go down to the gangway, get at the end of the line, show your gold card and onto the tender you go.

I really see no reason why you would want to rent a cabana since you are in Neptune Suites and have large verandahs. With 4 of you, you would have to rent either 2 cabanas on the Lido Deck or the Family Cabana in the Retreat.

The Lido Pool -- midships -- tends to be more crowded as that pool is for families. The aft pool is for adults.

Do agree -- definitely try the Tamarind Restaurant.

• 9 months later...

I am posting this because i just relogged into this computer and saw my old fun posts. We showed up for this sailing at the Ft. Lauderdale airport on January 6 2017. We were getting our luggage from carousel #3 when we heard a loud bang. We turned and saw a mad man coming at us with a gun. We hit the ground. Everyone within 5 feet of us died from a gunshot wound to the head. It was the beginning of a new life for us. We are survivors of a mass shooting. It was my son's 12th birthday. I am not sure why I am posting this. We went on the cruise. No luggage (held for blood splatter), in shock and not knowing what else to do. The sailing was pretty much horror filled all the way around. The weather was brutal and we missed multiple stops. My wife, mother-in-law and son stayed in bed seasick all week and in shock. I ran among the rooms with medicine. It was the worst week of our lives. We had just survived the massive wildfire in Gatlinburg a month earlier. We thought nothing would be worse than that. We were terribly wrong. Our lives changed that day. I watched a woman die in her husbands arms as they were going to go on their 60th anniversary cruise. I think she took my bullet. Sure of it in fact. Surer than anything I have ever been sure of in my life. She fell behind me. Esteban Santiago goes up for trial in 2018. He ruined many lives that day not all of which perished by a bullet. My advice to all of you...pay attention to your surroundings. Luggage carousels are "soft" targets. Anyone can come from anywhere, Hug your family now. Tell them you love them. It can all change in an instant by a madman with a gun in an airport on a winter's day.

I am posting this because i just relogged into this computer and saw my old fun posts. We showed up for this sailing at the Ft. Lauderdale airport on January 6 2017. We were getting our luggage from carousel #3 when we heard a loud bang. We turned and saw a mad man coming at us with a gun. We hit the ground. Everyone within 5 feet of us died from a gunshot wound to the head. It was the beginning of a new life for us. We are survivors of a mass shooting. It was my son's 12th birthday. I am not sure why I am posting this. We went on the cruise. No luggage (held for blood splatter), in shock and not knowing what else to do. The sailing was pretty much horror filled all the way around. The weather was brutal and we missed multiple stops. My wife, mother-in-law and son stayed in bed seasick all week and in shock. I ran among the rooms with medicine. It was the worst week of our lives. We had just survived the massive wildfire in Gatlinburg a month earlier. We thought nothing would be worse than that. We were terribly wrong. Our lives changed that day. I watched a woman die in her husbands arms as they were going to go on their 60th anniversary cruise. I think she took my bullet. Sure of it in fact. Surer than anything I have ever been sure of in my life. She fell behind me. Esteban Santiago goes up for trial in 2018. He ruined many lives that day not all of which perished by a bullet. My advice to all of you...pay attention to your surroundings. Luggage carousels are "soft" targets. Anyone can come from anywhere, Hug your family now. Tell them you love them. It can all change in an instant by a madman with a gun in an airport on a winter's day.

I hope your family is coping with this. We were on this cruise with our great grand daughter & we talked to you in the hot tub one day as you explained to us what & how it happened. I couldn't even begin to know what that must of been like. All the best to you & yours.

Allan

That was a horrific day. So Sorry you and everyone there endured this and lives were lost and many traumatized.

Hugs to you and your family.

And thank you, for the reminder to appreciate our loved ones every day. Things can change in an instant.

Dear Sadric,

I was aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam with you for that cruise. I did not meet you, but did meet another couple that were detained at Fort Lauderdale's airport, missed the ship, and joined us in Tortola. Both of them were close to being "basket cases" that afternoon.

I am going to include your family and you in my prayers for mental healing as a result of this trauma. Life is precious. It is a gift. Thank you for reminding us on CC of this fact.

It must have been difficult for you to post this horrific experience. How long to heal or function once again from what was and what might have been....probably a lifetime. Wishing you peaceful days, restful nights and restoration of your sense of humor found in your previous posts.