First time going solo

Cleopatra13

I'm looking at booking a single solo cabin on NCL next year' date=' as NCL appears to be my best bet without paying a extraordinary single supplement.[/quote']

I've sailed NCL's solo cabins many times and they are great. Small, yes, but functional. And you can't beat the price!

Yes. Been on many cruises - just not alone. On the Royal Carribean and flying on British airways. Never flown on British Airways and I do have connecting flights. It won't be sad - my husband would have wanted me to go for it. Just don't know how I'll handle dining, etc. - always had someone with me. Trying to figure it out.

Sorry for you loss OP.

I'm struggling with the same issue.

Yes dining for me is going to be an area of concern too. As well as activities that you just may not want to feel like the 3rd wheel at. A lot of people cruise in groups, so I haven't found in the past that they were overly welcoming to newcomers. But always had my DH, so it didn't matter then. So I guess one of my fears is feeling lonely without anyone I know to speak to or hang out with. I'm shy to initiate conversation but very social and fun once I meet someone.

So I will be following this thread for any advice that comes your way.

Good luck OP, this is a big step, but life does go on and forces us to find new normals. Sounds like your DH (as mine would), will be right there with you.

• 1 month later...
I'm looking at booking a single solo cabin on NCL next year' date=' as NCL appears to be my best bet without paying a extraordinary single supplement.[/quote']

You say NCL is the best for not paying too much on a single Supplement?

• 2 weeks later...
You say NCL is the best for not paying too much on a single Supplement?

if you have the flexibility to travel last minute, you can often get an ocean view or balcony cabin with no single supplement. And by that I mean "last minute" in NCL's eyes, not your own. For example, if you are within driving distance of a port and have the flexibility at work to let them know that you're going to take a week in, say, June off, but you won't know for sure which one until the month before, you can watch prices, jump on a good one in May, and make all your arrangements then. If you have to factor in airfare, it's more complicated, obviously.

Right now you can get a (solo) balcony on the Breakaway for 12 days in December for $1199 (counting taxes/port fees). Lower level cabins even cheaper, plus lots of perks, onboard credit, etc.

Obviously it's possible to wait too long and miss out, but if you watch you can usually see whether prices are dropping week after week, holding steady, or even increasing, at which point you should jump if you want to go.

if you have the flexibility to travel last minute, you can often get an ocean view or balcony cabin with no single supplement. And by that I mean "last minute" in NCL's eyes, not your own. For example, if you are within driving distance of a port and have the flexibility at work to let them know that you're going to take a week in, say, June off, but you won't know for sure which one until the month before, you can watch prices, jump on a good one in May, and make all your arrangements then. If you have to factor in airfare, it's more complicated, obviously.

Right now you can get a (solo) balcony on the Breakaway for 12 days in December for $1199 (counting taxes/port fees). Lower level cabins even cheaper, plus lots of perks, onboard credit, etc.

Obviously it's possible to wait too long and miss out, but if you watch you can usually see whether prices are dropping week after week, holding steady, or even increasing, at which point you should jump if you want to go.

Good advice here....this is what I oftentimes do as well.

One additional tip...start by watching the cruises on your ship leaving just ahead of yours, and see what the pattern is...sometimes the fares keep dropping right up to the last couple of days before sailing. Of course, there is no guarantee that your cruise will be the same, but still it's a good barometer...