Changing Staterooms after they have been allocated? Royal Carribean - Radiance class

50andfabulous

Hi

Would value advice please.

In March 2017, we booked a cruise on Royal Caribbean for December 2017 through an agent.

At the time the agent told us the only staterooms available ( we wanted 2 together, not necessarily interconnecting, but next to each other) were at the very back of the boat, Deck 9, but if other staterooms became available closer to the sailing time, we could be moved

I believed them. So I booked the cruise even though I was not happy with the cabins

Since then the staff member that told me that information has left and another lady has told me that is not the case - we are allocated those cabins and cannot change

Further, I have called Royal Caribbean, but as we booked through an agent, they wont talk to me and refer me to the agent

This was a learning for me, and I will never book a cabin I am not happy with again, naively trusting the salesperson, but I would value any thoughts on:-

1. How I can change cabins ? Neither Royal Carribean or the Agent will engage with me as mentioned above, and as the cruise draws closer, I imagine this will be harder with less availability?

2. How much rockier will it be at the back of the boat, compared to midship?

My reasons for wanting to change are not frivolous - one of my group has a disability, and while we don't need an accessible cabin, we do need as smooth a trip as possible, (of course no one knows how the weather will be but do need to minimise movement)

I would value any advice and as mentioned, this has certainly been a learning for me!

Thanks

Thanks

The only reasons you would not be able to change staterooms are that when you booked through the TA you booked into a block of staterooms that they had held - and likely had a price that was somewhat lower based on that - and that block of rooms is now fully booked -or- there are not any available staterooms in your booking category and that would accommodate your requested location.

When you book through a TA that TA "owns" your booking and therefore can be the only party to modify the booking. This cannot be done directly through the cruise line. If that particular TA has specific policies regarding modifying a booking made through them you have to abide by that.

That is why it is important to ask up front with any TA what their specific policies - and any associated fees - are when placing a booking through them. Likewise it is good to ask if there are any restrictions - such as with blocked or group bookings - with any specific booking you are considering before placing it. This may sound a bit confusing but it really isn't and just boils down to asking about what you are getting before you buy it.

One other option you would have would be - as long as it is prior to final payment and if other preferred staterooms are available - to cancel the booking and rebook directly through RCI or through a different TA. Just be sure to ask if they impose any fees for canceling and check first to make sure the current rate is favorable to rebook.

Otherwise it sounds like you are stuck with what you originally booked. The fact that you indicate the rooms were allocated to you means that you probably booked into a group or block of rooms held by the TA and they "assigned" the available rooms to you. Normally with typical bookings you can choose any room you want in a given category that is available when you book with the flexibility to change to a different one if desired up until final payment.

Hope it works out for you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You booked what you thought would work...and that's what you got. Suck it up. You will be fine there. There is some vibration..hopefully, it won't bother you much.

In the future, never expect something different than what you book....because you are unlikely to get anything different. If you don't like the cabin offerings...don't book that cruise.

You booked what you thought would work...and that's what you got. Suck it up. You will be fine there. There is some vibration..hopefully, it won't bother you much.

In the future, never expect something different than what you book....because you are unlikely to get anything different. If you don't like the cabin offerings...don't book that cruise.

CB, once again your post is totally off point. Please try reading the OP's posts more carefully before responding with opinions and answers that have little to do with the comments and questions asked.

Hi have problem with room too. We have been booked in the group booking with an event manager. My husband is a big man on the weelchair. And I am the one who has to push this chair. We have been given room on the level 11 next to the last one on the very and of the ship. I thought it was a joke, when I found this while was doing online checking. After that I contacted event manager,TA, and no one wants do anything to help even it was responsibility of event manager Tony Roach as he doing all the bookings and we not allowed to know anything until you get it. I don't even feel to go now and it's to late as we have to fly to Rome tmr and cruise start on 19 of September . I hope Tony Roach is happy now knowing that he makes our holiday night mare.

Hi have problem with room too. We have been booked in the group booking with an event manager. My husband is a big man on the weelchair. And I am the one who has to push this chair. We have been given room on the level 11 next to the last one on the very and of the ship. I thought it was a joke, when I found this while was doing online checking. After that I contacted event manager,TA, and no one wants do anything to help even it was responsibility of event manager Tony Roach as he doing all the bookings and we not allowed to know anything until you get it. I don't even feel to go now and it's to late as we have to fly to Rome tmr and cruise start on 19 of September . I hope Tony Roach is happy now knowing that he makes our holiday night mare.

I'm sorry for your situation and I hope it will work out for you and not be too difficult. But the rules of the booking you made probably say that you don't have a choice in room location with this type of group and the rooms are likely assigned as they are booked. In the future if you are booking into a group such as this you may want to check with the agent up front before you book to let them know your situation to see if they have any flexibility with room assignments. Otherwise just understand before you book what the room assignment policies are.

Also your post may get deleted because you mentioned a travel agent by name, which is against Cruise Critic policy.

Hi,

If the OP states which ship they are on, hopefully someone will address his questions about movement.

I would also suggest OP goes to the board for that particular ship and post that question. I have read many posts where people love aft balconies. We just booked one on the NCL Breakaway to give it a try. We have been in both forward and aft cabins on different size ships. I find you feel more movement in forward cabins. Now when I book I try to get near the elevators, not worrying if it is forward or aft.

Hopefully, you will end up having a good cruise.