NYC at Christmas time

beachys

After the tree cross the street (5th Ave) and go into Saint Patrick's Cathedral, not even my religion but it is beautiful. Speaking of 5th ave you have the window displays in the stores as well as the light show on the side of Saks 5th Ave that changes every year.

Union Square also has an winter market, more affordable then Bryant Park for me.

Christmas Tree, St Pats and Saks Fifth Avenue all must sees and free! But very very crowded. Week night much better than weekend. Radio City Christmas show should be experienced once in a lifetime. Look for discount tix. We can help. The windows of Macy’s and lord and Taylor dept stores fabulous also. If you have kids Macy’s has Santaland. Ice skating at either Rockefeller Center or Bryant Park. Rockefeller you should reserve in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live outside on NYC and rarely go into Manhattan. But last year, some friends from overseas were coming in for the holidays and we decided to meet them in the city. since it was so long that we had been there, we went in early to see some of the Christmas sites. Yes the tree in Rockefeller Center is the main attraction, but we were really WOWED by Macy;s and what they do to their windows and their entire store. You need not spend a lot of time there, but it is something not to be missed.

Cheers

Len

Will you be here for a few days? If so, I recommend getting away at some point from the crowds of Rockefeller Center and store windows for at least one evening. You will find that most of midtown is often unbearable due to the extreme number of tourists. Maybe take in a performance at Lincoln Center (the NY Philharmonic is doing their annual Handel Messiah during that time, the NY Children's Choir will be performing holiday music at Carnegie Hall). Perhaps walk around Greenwich Village which is pretty any time of year but is especially nice on a crisp winter day. Absolutely try to take a walk in Central Park where you will be in the midst of tourists but also New Yorkers enjoying themselves. I especially love the Park in the morning before it gets crowded. Tons of NYers (including yours truly) take their dogs for off-leash time before 9am - it's especially nice that time of day.