OFF TOPIC POSTS Go Here

CC Help Jenn

A brand new thread :)

My Christmas shopping is done, wrapped and under the tree…bring it on! I don't do baking, ever, my oven thermometer went out a few years ago. Even though we had it fixed, it's still my excuse for not making cookies :o

So, here goes with my off topic subject. For years, as a hair stylist, we had so many clients bring in baked goods and it is a lovely gesture. But no way could we eat it all, share it all and much of it ended up in the garbage after spoiling. My husband still works as a hair stylist and our kitchen counter is already full of coffee cakes, cookies, homemade breads. We do appreciate it, and I always feel bad if we have to trash it when it dries out too much. (I have to add that cookies rarely get trashed ;)) I know how much work and care they have put into the baking.

For my manicurist, I give her extra cash and fresh fruit. She is (of course) happy with the cash and always lets out a sigh of gratitude for the fruit. I make sure I wash it before I take it to her, in case her or her co-workers want to eat it right away. I know during Holidays they can get so busy it's hard to find a time to eat. A handful of grapes can help them through some of that time.

Happy Holidays to all!

A brand new thread

My Christmas shopping is done, wrapped and under the tree…bring it on! I don't do baking, ever, my oven thermometer went out a few years ago. Even though we had it fixed, it's still my excuse for not making cookies :o

So, here goes with my off topic subject. For years, as a hair stylist, we had so many clients bring in baked goods and it is a lovely gesture. But no way could we eat it all, share it all and much of it ended up in the garbage after spoiling. My husband still works as a hair stylist and our kitchen counter is already full of coffee cakes, cookies, homemade breads. We do appreciate it, and I always feel bad if we have to trash it when it dries out too much. (I have to add that cookies rarely get trashed ;)) I know how much work and care they have put into the baking.

For my manicurist, I give her extra cash and fresh fruit. She is (of course) happy with the cash and always lets out a sigh of gratitude for the fruit. I make sure I wash it before I take it to her, in case her or her co-workers want to eat it right away. I know during Holidays they can get so busy it's hard to find a time to eat. A handful of grapes can help them through some of that time.

Happy Holidays to all!

Hi Kathy,:)........you are so sweet:D....may I make a suggestion

for bakes goods that are not eaten? If you live/work near a firehouse?

Might be nice to give it to the firefighters as a Thank you gesture

too. I remember one year we had a potluck at the office and I think

there was tray that was never touched:eek:......on my way home I

dropped it off at a nearby fire station.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!:)

The other thread was started for Sue who was battling breast cancer. She has been gone 5 or 6 years I think? Longer?I know she passed on March 1 but I do not remember the year. That is the only reason I hate to see the old thread go. There were posts from her on it.

The funny thing is I used to love the fashion board, but I see no point in posting about fashion anymore since the majority of people on cruise ships care nothing for fashion and want to be as casual as possible on cruises, even going against suggested dinner code.

To be honest, the older I get, the less I care about fashion myself. I want to be "presentable" and I still dress to suggestion for evening at dinner on cruises but as far as thinking if I buy a new expensive dress that it is going to make me look any better-lol! Nope-not going to happen- I save that money for spending on vacation! I now have plenty of things in my closet for formal night I often wear the same formal clothing from previous cruises. but I am not complaining, I am still alive and I enjoy life as much as I can. After all, Sue was brave enough not to concern herself if she must go to dinner formal night bald. she just wanted to enjoy herself!

Anyway, I would still like to see this thread dedicated to Sue! I think it should be.

good for you Lois! I know that was a nice surprise.

I am not sure you remember me telling you about Celebrity Infinity having a great itinerary in October 2014 and the Connie having the same itinerary in Jan. 2015. Well I found out the Connie has that itinerary on the cruse following the Thanksgiving week cruise next year.

I am keeping an eye on it. Right now it looks like all we could afford is an inside stateroom on it but I am hoping the price will go down. of course it also depends on how much vacation time my hubby still has. We have so much going on next year with our friends form England coming to visit us.

We had a wonderful, stress free Christmas! We all agreed no gifts this year, so we didn't have any last minute shopping, no worries about choosing the right gift. My kids and husband were the only ones I made any purchases for and I got that taken care of as I posted above. All I had to do was a little cooking and I love to cook, so no worries there :) Add to that we had a beautiful sunny and clear day, the temps were in the low 80's. The only thing that could have been better would have been to be on a cruise!

I hope everyone had a great holiday as well :) Now we are looking to a great healthy New Year!

Hi girls:) (and guys;)) wishing all of you a Very Happy 2014 and hope

it is a very good one and if you want cruises, hope you are able to sail

as often as possible:D

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of inches of snow sure caused havoc in our area. I stink because it was so cold that the roads iced over on the bridges before dark, that along with all our hills. I have never seen this little bit of snow cause so much havoc in my life.

My husband went to pick our daughter up from work becasue she was nervous about driving home. It took him an hour ( 4 miles) but then because so many parents had not got there, they did not leave. When they finally could the main road near the school was deadlocked with stranded cars so they went back to the school. They ended up eating dinner there-lol! School cafeteria food. then as the highway had cleared they left for home (7pm) but did get home as we are surrounded by hills which means all the roads were blocked with stranded/wrecked cars.

They were able to detour to a friend's house and are being treated well. They just had breakfast! I am sure they feel like they are at a B &B! I am hoping they can make it home in another hour or so if the sun warms it up enough to melt the ice.

Oh yes. My daughter texted one of the teachers that volunteered to stay at the school as she lives in another county and knew she would have trouble making it home. Several teachers volunteered to stay as had a considerable drive to get home. The teacher said around 60 children were stranded at the school last night.

Being from Michigan, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the mess in Georgia from this very small amount of snow. Of course, most of the native southerners aren't used to the snow, so I guess that's the biggest root of the problem. It's just odd for us up here in the north to see a city, like Atlanta, shut down over 2.5 inches of snow and some ice.

Of course, those in Minnesota are probably making fun of us Michiganders with schools closed for 4 days thus far for cold weather. We've had windchills of -20 to -40 for several days. It's just brutally cold.

All of that being said, I'm glad your family is safe and warm! :)

Being from Michigan, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the mess in Georgia from this very small amount of snow. Of course, most of the native southerners aren't used to the snow, so I guess that's the biggest root of the problem. It's just odd for us up here in the north to see a city, like Atlanta, shut down over 2.5 inches of snow and some ice.

Of course, those in Minnesota are probably making fun of us Michiganders with schools closed for 4 days thus far for cold weather. We've had windchills of -20 to -40 for several days. It's just brutally cold.

All of that being said, I'm glad your family is safe and warm! :)

Tractor trailer trucks could not go up the hills on interstates and jackknifed, stalled out the interstates-then local roads got flooded. Also, roads started freezing over before nightfall as the temps was in the 20's yesterday. The thing is I have seen many snow storms one even was 13 inches back in 1973, but I never seen this before even with much more than 2 inches of snow. All these people are blaming the mayor and governor but heck Atlanta's population has escalated so much just since 2007 when the recession started and many moved south because Atlanta still had jobs; I think the city/state has just not kept up the highways with the huge increase in population-the interstates get jammed badly even in good weather. Bad weather is just a recipe for disaster now.

I will add,many people left Atlanta when the job market went away here, but still many stayed. the suburb I live in has tripled in population in the last 15 years. It has actually doubled in the last 6 or 7 years. We have 2 new high schools and numerous elementary open since 2000. One of those high schools just opened last year. We are just one county in the Atlanta metro area.

Hi girls.......

emandjennsmom, Wrapping your brain around the small amount of snow?

For a Michangander it would be nothing.....but it seems everyone in

Atlanta who drove to work all left their offices at the same time:eek:

and not sure if you saw it....but people ended up being stuck in their

cars for 16 hours on I-75 and/or 285........a Freakin mess:(

2400 kids were kept in their schools overnight and now?.....the Mayor

of Atlanta is blaming "the other folks"........:rolleyes: the blame game.....

it never works.

Janie, glad your family is ok.

Today, the high here was 38......and rainy.....not cold enough for snow

here but South Georiga is getting some too.

I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone with my weather comments. It's just different for us northerners to see the nightmare that is taking place over what we would think is a small amount of snow, especially the well televised Atlanta mess. I feel awful for the people stuck in their vehicles and the kids stuck at school. It's all very sad. I can't imagine being stuck in my car or without my children.

I saw Al Roker go off on a little tangent today about the mayor of Atlanta and the governor of Georgia. He said the weather was well predicted and they failed at their responsibilities. It does indeed seem the blame game has begun.

We have driven through Atlanta a few times in the last year. The amount of traffic is remarkable. I can't fathom everyone on the roads at the same time. Atlanta has more lanes going in one direction on I-75 than we do (for the most part) going both north and south.

Again, I apologize if I upset anyone. It was just an observation and not intended to belittle anyone who is/was tragically stuck in their commute.

No apology necessary:).....sometimes the internet is funky....I was not

critisizing your post either;).......I realize folks from up north are

used to snow. Just looks like things in Atlanta are a mess.

And I saw Al on the news tonight as well:eek:....and saw they had

predicted the storm too......