Wines by the Glass - 11/2016 (Zuiderdam)

POA1

Special thanks to Roger Jett (Crew News) who supplied the latest wine list from the Zuiderdam. :)

We have a cruise coming up in December and our fare includes Explore 4 with the Signature Beverage Package (SBP.) We were trying to determine if we wanted to add the $10/pp/day SBP upgrade so that we could open up drinks and wines up to $15/glass. (The answer for us is "yes" based on Champagne alone. However, we could have gotten along perfectly fine without the upgrade.)

Wine Ratings Explained:

• 95-100 Classic: a great wine
  • 90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style
  • 85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities
  • 80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine
  • 75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws
  • 50-74 Not recommended

Most everything on the "by the glass list" is in the 85-89 range.

Bear in mind that expert ratings are not necessarily going to translate into what you like. Each of us has our own palate and preferences. If there's a certain type of wine that you don't like, it really doesn't matter how highly it's rated.

Some Notes:

1. If there's an asterisk after the wine name, the wine is SBP eligible on the base, non-upgraded SBP.
  2. Other than the Veuve Clicquot, everything else works with the upgraded SBP. Just between us, the Nicolas Feuillatte is just as good.
  3. When you see WS next to the point rating, that means Wine Spectator magazine. If the rating is from another publication, it's noted. If no publication is noted, then the ratings come from multiple sources.
  4. Since years aren't given on the list, I had to make some assumptions about what vintage HAL would be serving. I may have guessed the wrong year on a few of the wines, but most of HAL's selections are pretty consistent from year to year.

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Pol Clement, France - $5.95 - This is the house sparkling wine. A pale yellow robe with bright glints. Delicate aromas of fruit and white flowers, with nuances of toasted bread and dried fruit. - It scored an 84 aggregate on CellarTracker, but their ratings are often generous.
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of mineralinty typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Gruber-Ro****z Riesling (Spelled incorrectly on the list) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc - $7.00 - This has lots of zip, with bracing lemon zest, thyme and white peach notes that race through the brisk finish. - 87 points WS
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Goose Ridge Chardonnay - $7.25 - Fresh and lively, sleek and silky, with pretty pear and clotted cream flavors achieving a refreshing balance. - 87 points WS
  • Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on Formation's Sauv Blanc from any of my usual sources.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - It's not clear if this is the Reserva di Familia or not, I'm assuming it is, because Santa Carolina produces two Chards and this one is more expensive than the one above it. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Rosemount Estate Chardonnay - $9.75 - Polished, expressive and exuberant, with pear and grapefruit aromas and flavors, remaining vivid through the finish. 86-88 points. Note: If 2013 vintage, it's only an 83.
  • Chateau Stet Michelle Mimi Chardonnay - $9.75 - The aromas on this wine are light and nuanced with notes of pear, butter and pineapple. It's full bodied in feel, clean in style showing good weight and viscosity while retaining a pleasing sense of lightness. - 88-90 points, Wine Enthusiast

Red Wine:

• Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Rosemount Estate Shiraz - $11.00 - Velvety, ripe and expressive, playing its lively blackberry and dark plum flavors against a hint of mint as the finish lingers. - 87 points WS
  • Black Opal Shiraz - $7.25 - Light and zippy, with a tart edge to the ripe berry flavors - 87 points WS
  • Pacific Bay Cabernet Sauvignon (Wine list says California, but online info indicates Chile) - $7.25 - No ratings found
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Penfolds Koounga Hiill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Firm in texture, with juicy currant and spice flavors, finishing on a peppery note. - 86 points WS
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS

======================

If you're not sure what to pair with your food, here's a link to a decent cheat sheet that you can print for reference.

Food & Wine Pairings Cheat Sheet

I should add that the Wines by the Glass tend to be pretty consistent across ships, particularly if they're leaving from the same ports. We're on the Eurodam next month, but I expect to see a list very similar to the one Roger provided for the Zuiderdam.

Thanks POA1!

As you know, I have cheap taste in wine. Your ratings will give me some ideas so I can expand my horizons. If I am going to try a more expensive wine, I might as well try something that is rated high.

Meanwhile, I see a couple of my cheap favorites are rated higher than I thought.

Edited by Tom O.

Thanks POA1!

As you know, I have cheap taste in wine. Your ratings will give me some ideas so I can expand my horizons. If I am going to try a more expensive wine, I might as well try something that is rated high.

Meanwhile, I see a couple of my cheap favorites are rated higher than I thought.

Just remember - the higher price of a wine does not necessarily mean the higher quality of a wine. There are some excellent wines out there under $20!!

Take that list into the State Wine store - then decide if you want to drink what you cannot buy when you get home OR drink what you CAN buy if you like it. OR, plan a trip down to Earl's Discount Liquor in Las Vegas to pick it up ;)

Take that list into the State Wine store - then decide if you want to drink what you cannot buy when you get home OR drink what you CAN buy if you like it. OR, plan a trip down to Earl's Discount Liquor in Las Vegas to pick it up ;)

I must have been on another thread with you about drinking, and mentioned I like to stock up in Nevada because I live in Utah where it is sold only by the state and overpriced.

But I usually buy at Lee's Discount Store in Mesquite, which is closer. Or sometimes at the Moapa Indian Reservation.

Very helpful! Thanks POA! :)

Will you or your lovely wife bring this handy dandy list with you so I can consult prior to Happy Hour? ;)

We'll keep it in Evernote on our phones. But since you favor Sauvignon Blanc and there are probably only going to be 2 on the bar list, you should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly. ;)

I must have been on another thread with you about drinking, and mentioned I like to stock up in Nevada because I live in Utah where it is sold only by the state and overpriced.

But I usually buy at Lee's Discount Store in Mesquite, which is closer. Or sometimes at the Moapa Indian Reservation.

Be careful at Lee's in Mesquite. Utah sends troopers there to capture license plates to try to catch people bringing in illegal substances - they do the same at liquor stores (and fireworks stores) in Evanston. Had someone who worked with me as a volunteer who owned one of the stores in Evanston - he verified that they do indeed do this. He told us to not go back via I-15 anytime but winter, but to either go over Mirror Lake Highway or Hwy 39 through the Monte Cristos to Huntsville to I-84...

Didn't know they sold on the Reservation - I only saw their cigarette store off I-15.

I don't understand how anything that is Santa Carolina rates anywhere in the high 80's....or maybe I am a "worse" wine drinker than originally thought.

It's probably that I am a poor wine drinker who doesn't know decent wine when it hits her mouth . I love Barefoot Brand, I love cheap Frascati's , and I will drink sweet reds with anything.

I do pat myself on the back for not drinking MD 20/20 or Boonesfarm. :D

We'll keep it in Evernote on our phones. But since you favor Sauvignon Blanc and there are probably only going to be 2 on the bar list, you should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly. ;)

Oh, I can range all over the place when I don't have to drink the whole bottle. Chardonnay's, Viognier's, etc., are all nice to try from time to time. And, if I don't like it, I can get DH to drink the rest of the glass. In fact, it's just about guaranteed that he'll like what I don't. Some days I think this applies to more to than wine, too! Sillly man! :D

Making a bottle decision, on the other hand, stymies me! I don't want to waste my precious wine allotment on a bottle I don't like even if it might take me all week to drink it.

Woke up in a cold sweat when I realized that I neglected to put the asterisks in by the wines that ere eligible for the base Signature Beverage Package. Sorry about that -- and here they are:

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco* Treviso, Italy - $6.25
  • Pol Clement*, France - $5.95

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio* Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25
  • La Terre White Zinfandel* - $6.25.
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling* - $7.25
  • Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc* - $7.00
  • Goose Ridge Chardonnay* - $7.25
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay* - $6.25
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay* - $6.50

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot* - $6.25
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon* - $6.25
  • Black Opal Shiraz* - $7.25- 87 points WS
  • Pacific Bay Cabernet Sauvignon* - $7.25

I don't understand how anything that is Santa Carolina rates anywhere in the high 80's....or maybe I am a "worse" wine drinker than originally thought.

It's probably that I am a poor wine drinker who doesn't know decent wine when it hits her mouth . I love Barefoot Brand, I love cheap Frascati's , and I will drink sweet reds with anything.

I do pat myself on the back for not drinking MD 20/20 or Boonesfarm. :D

Bless your heart:)

Woke up in a cold sweat when I realized that I neglected to put the asterisks in by the wines that ere eligible for the base Signature Beverage Package. Sorry about that -- and here they are:

I noticed that but didn't want to say anything. You know, like kicking a gift horse in the mouth.

And thank you.

Thank you very much for the wine list with "scores":D . I did have a question about the "$10/pp/day SBP upgrade" you mentioned. I have heard the rumors about it, but are they actually selling the upgrade now? We had the regular SBP in September of this year, and enjoyed the wines we were able to get, but if we could upgrade it, we could try some different ones. I think I heard it mentioned in some threads that it was only available on the Koningsdam; are other HAL ships selling it too? Thanks for any information.

Penny

Edited by PSR

Thank you! Very helpful! I too am wondering about if you can upgrade the explore 4 signature beverage package?

I am wondering the same thing - the new "elite" package better suits my preferences and would be willing to pay the additional $11.50/day for better wines, access to a few ultra-premium cocktails and no beverage limits (I drink a lot of espresso based coffees and bottled water) :D

Thank you very much for the wine list with "scores":D . I did have a question about the "$10/pp/day SBP upgrade" you mentioned. I have heard the rumors about it, but are they actually selling the upgrade now? We had the regular SBP in September of this year, and enjoyed the wines we were able to get, but if we could upgrade it, we could try some different ones. I think I heard it mentioned in some threads that it was only available on the Koningsdam; are other HAL ships selling it too? Thanks for any information.

Penny

Elite Beverage Package — enjoy beverages including wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, $63.19 per person, per day non-alcoholic beverages, sodas under $15. Includes a souvenir cup that you can take home. Plus on ms Koningsdam, you get a Freestyle Coca-Cola cup to enjoy 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors. Package must be purchased for the duration of the voyage.

Signature Beverage Package — we offer the convenience and value of paying $51.69 per person, per day one price per day for beverages enjoyed during the course of their cruise. Choose from: wines, beers, spirits and cocktails (including non-alcoholic) from our many lounges, bars and restaurants, espresso drinks,an luding non-alcoholic) from our many lounges, bars and restaurants, espresso drinks,and sodas.

That was from the Indulgences Page. Looks like the only difference with Koingsdam is the Free Style Coca-Cola cup.

Edited by RocketMan275

LAFFNVEGAS reported that you could upgrade from the standard SBP for $10 + 15% service per person per day. She was on a 7 day cruise and the upgrade to her Explore 4 SBP was $80.50 per person. ($11.50 per day) She said that the upgrade option was going to be offered fleet wide. She's a travel agent, so I am counting on her information being accurate.

I'll know for sure in 3 weeks and I'll report back.

LAFFNVEGAS reported that you could upgrade from the standard SBP for $10 + 15% service per person per day. She was on a 7 day cruise and the upgrade to her Explore 4 SBP was $80.50 per person. ($11.50 per day) She said that the upgrade option was going to be offered fleet wide. She's a travel agent, so I am counting on her information being accurate.

I'll know for sure in 3 weeks and I'll report back.

This definitely helps to start level the playing field between HAL and Celebrity! I much prefer the overall HAL product, but their beverage package options had made them largely uncompetitive (in my personal opinion) for the last few years.