Drink package changes

sidari

Received a call from MSC yesterday to discuss our upcoming two cruises and the ongoing website issues that stop us seeing our September cruise on Preziosa.

During the discussion I was told that the drink package with the Aurea cabin package on Seaside will no longer include Sparkling Wines by the Glass! it appears this also includes Europe cruises. I was told we could upgrade the drink package to include the Sparkling.

Having checked out the available packages for September sure enough no more Sparkling Wines by the Glass.

So they have removed from the original package Breakfast Smoothies, Fresh squeezed Orange juice and now the Sparkling Wines, why not just increase the price up to keep them !

ALL-INCLUSIVE RESTAURANT & BAR DRINK PACKAGE A.

Drink all you want, where you want, in total freedom and with a light heart! Unlimited consumption of spirits, liqueurs, aperitifs and cocktails from the bar list, dedicated selection of wines by the glass, draught beer, sodas, fruit juices, mineral water, espresso, cappuccino and other classic hot drinks, and takeaway ice cream in a cone or cup. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet and restaurants including the specialty restaurants. The following items are not included in this offer: tobacco, champagne, bottles of wine and sparkling wine, premium spirit brands, drinks from the minibar and water provided in your cabin, souvenir glasses and food served in speciality bars and restaurants. Other excluded items are detailed in the onboard Bar List, indicated with an asterisk.

I responded on the other thread, Dave, as I didn't spot this one.

It says "bottles of wine and sparkling wine". I wonder if it just means bottles of sparkling wine? I see it also says: "dedicated selection of wines by the glass" without specifying like it used to about the types and number of varieties on offer.

I'll be onboard Magnifica in September - I'll be very interested in seeing what is included as, for the first time, we're only going with the basic drinks package due to both the increase in price of the deluxe, AND the reduced offerings included - a double whammy!! Poorer offerings and extra cost.

Edited by Beamafar
The site keeps double-spacing! Aaargh!

The written version looks almost identical to the one I booked last year for this November. I interpret the non inclusion of bottled wines and sparkling wine as bottled sparkling sparking wine. I am fully expecting glasses of prosecco on bar and dining lists.

BUT the OP says the changes were explained verbally. Perhaps the OP can explain further what was said as I for one would be VERY upset not to have sparkling wine

. I am fully expecting glasses of prosecco on bar and dining lists.

I find it odd that MSC would have new menus printed for Meraviglia only to have them out of date 3 months later. :confused:

Here's a link (photo #5) clearly showing that there are 2 sparkling wines (dry & sweet) included in the basic drinks package (no asterisk) on a ship that only started sailing in June.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53338068&postcount=71

Bea ... I thought it was odd but previously the text used to say Wines by the glass including Red, White and Sparkling.

JerseyLily ... I was told that the sparkling wine had been removed from what was the Allegrissimo drink package which is now the "All Inclusive Restaurant and Bar Drink Package A" in Europe, in the USA It may be called by another name.

The drink packages I cannot find on the UK site unless I log in to my missing booking and go to the Customise link which then shows the Preziosa Cruise and allows me to see the available drink packages.

This is the premium drink package we have booked on the Divina for next February. On the website it says somewhere that the drink package will be priced according to the cruise. I was told champagne would not be included but would be available with a discount.

6adbda7c7b11d3cfe423429492ab2a68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bea ... I thought it was odd but previously the text used to say Wines by the glass including Red, White and Sparkling.

Yeah ............. I made that point over on the other thread. I've also read what you wrote, there, about Kerry and the sweet sparkling wine. Did you have to upgrade the package?

I've never liked the wines offered on the basic package which is why we've always bought the premium. However, now that it's €50 pppd we decided to buy just the basic as DH doesn't drink wine and only drinks the draught beer anyway, so it's always been a waste for him to have to pay for premium.

I reckoned with the savings, I would just go ahead and buy a bottle of wine every couple of evenings or so. I had planned to supplement this with a glass of Cuvée dry as an aperitif and the Dolce with dessert. Looks like that plan has been shot out of the water!! These cost-cutting measures are beginning to bite! That, coupled with increasing fares is beginning to impact on our future cruise plans.

I am not worried. As far as I am concerned what I have bought includes sparkling by the glass. If they try and move the goalposts post purchase guest services will get a visit and they will have to please me by upgrading my package to deluxe for free!!

That said I am not convinced that anything has changed. Not in the written form. When MSC publish changes I will get excited.

RCCL changed packages post purchase last year and we got more than we originally paid for...

Edited by jerseylily

MSC never announce when they make changes to their drinks packages. I've noticed over the last year or so, the removal of drinks from the premium list and the inroduction of the 2 asterisk items.

If it hadn't been for your posts, Dave, I never would have known about this forthcoming change 'til I boarded in September. Especially as it wasn't introduced on Meraviglia. I've just gone into my bookings to check the new wording - MSC has been pretty quick to update that! I'd been hoping to get a screenshot of the old wording so I could bring it onboard and use your argument, Jerseylily, which is a valid one!

Got my screen shot this morning!

Well done, you!!! I never saw this coming!

Oh, well - as long as my port & brandy and Baileys & hot chocolate are covered, I'll be happy enough.

There's a very tangible seachange occurring with MSC which, as a regular cruiser with them, I'm not liking.

Bea ... They have already removed the Breakfast smoothies which we loved every morning and the Fresh squeezed Orange juice from what was the Allegrissimo package and now the Sparkling wine.

We have had to upgrade the Aurea inclusive drink package at £35 pp.

We are on Preziosa on September 6th out of Southampton and have not yet booked a drink package.

Nikki ... The Divina packages are different from those for the Europe cruises.

The freshly squeezed orange juice has been gone from the list a good while now, Dave.

We sail practically every 3 months and each time it seems something is different - mainly removed! There was a real sense of difference on Meraviglia - and not in a good way! I'm not liking the direction MSC is taking.

When we began cruising with MSC, the hotel charge was €7 pppd and €6 for repos. It's now €10 regardless of length of cruise. On one of our cruises that we've booked, that's going to be €560 for tips alone! On another, it'll be €620 - possibly more as one of the legs is US based and the Euro is practically par with USD so that's going to cost even extra!

The prices are $45 and $61 in the US, Dave. Why is your upgrade so expensive?

Bea ... The upgrade is for the 7 night cruise at £35 pp, £5 per day.

Do you know how to access the drink packages on the UK site without having to log in ?

That's not too bad, so.

I noticed when MSC updated the Ireland site a short while ago that the drinks package prices don't seem to be accessible unless you have a booking. clear.png?emoji-mad-1709 I've since checked the UK and US sites and the same seems to be the case. I happened to have a link saved for the US site for when questions come up about Divina which still seems to work. MSC are really making it difficult to get information in advance of sailings. God help anyone who is isn't familiar with them! And thank God for this forum!!

Standard sparkling wine ie Prosecco is most definitely still included in the all inclusive package. I think the person you spoke to is confused by the wording of the 'by the bottle' part. The new menus that support the changed packages came in back in April on the second leg of our cruise, and this included changes such as two asterisks, new cocktails etc

Bea ... They have already removed the Breakfast smoothies which we loved every morning and the Fresh squeezed Orange juice from what was the Allegrissimo package and now the Sparkling wine.

We have had to upgrade the Aurea inclusive drink package at £35 pp.

We are on Preziosa on September 6th out of Southampton and have not yet booked a drink package.

Nikki ... The Divina packages are different from those for the Europe cruises.

I realise that it's different but just wanted to point out that they have also changed this package from last year of what is included champagne/ prosecco wise. And they odd pricing they have added.

We could definitely order sparkling wine by the glass on Meraviglia but you can't order everything ship wide. So for dinner you can't order in a cocktail. The Aurea sundeck was also limited in what cocktails you could have. You also had to go to the bar to get served, no one came round asking if you wanted drinks which having paid extra for Aurea - in one way or other isn't what happens on other cruise lines.

Smoothies were available at the Bamboo pool bar but were chargeable ( unless you had the premium drinks package)

However a plus point was you could order a coffee & a Baileys & have them together & you could order several drinks at once!

Standard sparkling wine ie Prosecco is most definitely still included in the all inclusive package. I think the person you spoke to is confused by the wording of the 'by the bottle' part. The new menus that support the changed packages came in back in April on the second leg of our cruise, and this included changes such as two asterisks, new cocktails etc

It's not as transparent as it once was, Tim. Nor can you access info about the drinks packages unless you have a booking. That's ridiculous! The website should be the go-to place for information on all aspects of the cruise. I wondered the same thing about the 'by the bottle' bit.

The wording has changed, which is bound to lead to some confusion. It used to state 2 reds, 2 whites etc. Now it just states:

dedicated selection of wines by the glass,

In the deluxe section it states:

...........selection of fine wines by the glass.............. Bottles of wine and champagne are not included in the package

That doesn't even show that prosecco/champagne by the glass is included in the deluxe!! Very opague, indeed! Sparkling wine by the glass is included in the basic package on Meraviglia (I posted photos of the bar menu showing it).

We'll need to see if anyone sailing on other ships in the near future will post about this. Dave (Sidari) is sailing in early September and I'll be on Magnifica soon after. If we don't hear before then, I'm sure one of us will report back. Hopefully Dave will before I sail so I'm prepared! :)

Which drink plan comes with Yacht Club cabins?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Yacht club guests, since April 1st last, now have the 'All-inclusive Premium Drink Package' as it's known when the currency is USD onboard, or 'All-inclusive Deluxe Package' in Euros. This package covers you for everything on the bar menus except items with 2 asterisks:

ALL-INCLUSIVE DELUXE DRINK PACKAGE A. Drink all you want, where you want, in total freedom and with a light heart! Unlimited consumption of premium spirits, classic and premium cocktails, selection of fine wines by the glass, draught and bottled beer, soft drinks, juices, premium mineral water, coffee-based drinks, chocolate-based specialties, non-alcoholic cocktails, smoothies, milk shakes, energy drinks, drinks and snacks from the minibar, drinks ordered through room service, as well as delights from thematic bar menus, fresh fruit cocktails, freshly squeezed juices, and food from the room service menu. Bottles of wine and champagne are not included in the package; however, when purchased in restaurants and bars, will be available at 30% discount from the menu price. The following items are not included in the package: tobacco, souvenir glasses and food served in the specialty restaurants. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet and restaurants including the specialty restaurants (minibar included). TERMS & CONDITIONS: The package is for personal use only and valid for one order at a time. The ID card is non-transferrable. Abusing the terms of the all-inclusive package may cause the service to be withdrawn and the remaining days not to be refunded. The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except for the day of disembarkation; the package cannot be purchased on daily basis. Once activated on board, the package cannot be interrupted and refunded. The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for infants under 3 years old (i.e. who have not yet reached their 3rd birthday). The package is not available for charter cruises and for large groups (over 250 persons on the Lirica class vessels, over 350 persons on the Musica class vessels and over 500 persons on the Fantasia class vessels). The package is not available for cruises 1-3 night; the minimum number of night is FOUR (4).

• 1 month later...

The recent introduction of the 2-tier pricing structure per diem for drinks packages on cruises of <9 nights and 9+ nights (which comes into effect sometime after September) is now causing problems when the all-inclusive is already built into the cruise price, either as a promotion or on an Aurea booking.

We have an 11-night Med cruise booked for December and have the all-inclusive as part of a promotion. When we booked, the all-inclusive was €26 pppd (€286 total) and the premium was €50 (€550). The prices now quoted on the website under "My Bookings" are €231 and €440 respectively.

With these new rates, we wanted to upgrade to the Deluxe (premium) and had our TA ask MSC what the cost would be. MSC is quoting €264 pp to upgrade. That's the difference in price between the old rates. So, technically, they want us to pay €50 pppd for the Deluxe even though it is now only €40 pppd on our sailing. Bear in mind, when we booked, the cost of the included drinks package would have been factored into our cruise price by the bean counters at a value of €26 pppd. Even if they considered the new rate of €21 for this package, the difference in the upcost is only €19 pppd. MSC is quoting €24! Something inherently very unfair about this situation.

Our response to MSC is: Thanks, but no thanks!

I'm hoping that someone on here who is doing a 9+ night cruise when these new rates come into effect can post what the cost of the drinks package upgrade onboard is. It would be very much appreciated.