Toll Costs from PA to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

pacruise804

We are sailing from Brooklyn this October and do not have any type of e-z pass for our car. Does anyone know what the tolls would be from the PA border to the terminal? I know we will have the $1 fee on the way home to cross the Delaware, but i am having a hard time finding the tolls in NJ and NY (other than indications there will be tolls). We want to make sure we are prepared for the toll booth attendants.

Also, are cash lanes still typically on the right and e-z pass only on the left?

Thanks!

We are sailing from Brooklyn this October and do not have any type of e-z pass for our car. Does anyone know what the tolls would be from the PA border to the terminal? I know we will have the $1 fee on the way home to cross the Delaware, but i am having a hard time finding the tolls in NJ and NY (other than indications there will be tolls). We want to make sure we are prepared for the toll booth attendants.

Also, are cash lanes still typically on the right and e-z pass only on the left?

Thanks!

What route are you taking.....I80, I78,PA/NJTP, US 22??? There are multiple entry points from PA into Jersey. and multiple exit points from NJ to NY.

:oSorry, I thought I had mentioned my entry point was from I-80. I know I shouldn't have any tolls in PA, but not sure about NJ & NY other than the $1 to get back into PA.

What route are you taking.....I80, I78,PA/NJTP, US 22??? There are multiple entry points from PA into Jersey. and multiple exit points from NJ to NY.

Thanks for the link. My directions are from Google maps and show me getting on 78 from NJ 24. It's mile marker 48 on I-78. It looks like 78 changes from mileage based exits to toll exits at toll exit 14, but I'm not sure what my turnpike exit is since my NY exit is 1 for NY 9A/West Street.

I'm still pretty confused:confused:

Thanks for the link. My directions are from Google maps and show me getting on 78 from NJ 24. It's mile marker 48 on I-78. It looks like 78 changes from mileage based exits to toll exits at toll exit 14, but I'm not sure what my turnpike exit is since my NY exit is 1 for NY 9A/West Street.

I'm still pretty confused:confused:

OK - it sounds like you are being routed through New York City and hopefully through the Hugh Carey Tunnel (Brooklyn Battery Tunnel).

For. This route you pay $2.45 to go from exit 14 to exit 14A Holland Tunnel. Then you pay $15 for the Holland Tunnel. I think there are still actual toll booths that take cash for these tolls. It looks like the Hugh Carey Tunnel is now $8.50 which you have to pay by mail if you don't have an ezpass.

On return you would pay the Hugh Carey toll and and NJ Turnpike toll again, but no Holland Tunnel toll.

However......you might find it easier and faster to go the long way around via the Verazzano Bridge depending on the date and time you do this. Please post your two dates and approximate times. This route would be to take the NJ turnpike south to exit 13 for the Goethals bridge - $1.45 for the turnpike and $15 for the Goethals bridge. Verazanno bridge has no toll in this direction. Coming back you would have a $17 Verazanno Bridge toll (pay by mail), no Goethals Bridge toll, and $1.45 for the turnpike.

There are ways to reduce these tolls if you go through NYC and take the free Brooklyn Bridge. Regardless of what you choose, you should have printed directions to the Brooklyn Cruise port with you. And if you get any toll bills in the mail, PAY THEM so you don't have future problems with car registration renewals.

Holland Tunnel (and GWB / Lincoln Tunnel) should continue to have manned, cash toll plaza for crossing - as noted above, best to avoid using that route on weekday mornings ... competing with commuters, bus & other traffic on the approach to HT.

Use Waze or Google Map/other real-time traffic and GPS-based navigation to select best route - Staten Island crossing with the VZ Bridge into Brooklyn, coming from the "other" direction might be easier. Lower level of VZB (when it's open) is usually faster and free of commercial & bus traffic.

Allow plenty of travel time ... it doesn't take much to bring metro NYC traffic to near gridlock or standstill mode, even on a summer weekend (with beach traffic) and/or mother nature conspiring to wreck the best planning. Hazmat & accident investigations have been known, lately, to shut down an entire stretch of highway & service roads for many hours.

OK - it sounds like you are being routed through New York City and hopefully through the Hugh Carey Tunnel (Brooklyn Battery Tunnel).

For. This route you pay $2.45 to go from exit 14 to exit 14A Holland Tunnel. Then you pay $15 for the Holland Tunnel. I think there are still actual toll booths that take cash for these tolls. It looks like the Hugh Carey Tunnel is now $8.50 which you have to pay by mail if you don't have an ezpass.

On return you would pay the Hugh Carey toll and and NJ Turnpike toll again, but no Holland Tunnel toll.

However......you might find it easier and faster to go the long way around via the Verazzano Bridge depending on the date and time you do this. Please post your two dates and approximate times. This route would be to take the NJ turnpike south to exit 13 for the Goethals bridge - $1.45 for the turnpike and $15 for the Goethals bridge. Verazanno bridge has no toll in this direction. Coming back you would have a $17 Verazanno Bridge toll (pay by mail), no Goethals Bridge toll, and $1.45 for the turnpike.

There are ways to reduce these tolls if you go through NYC and take the free Brooklyn Bridge. Regardless of what you choose, you should have printed directions to the Brooklyn Cruise port with you. And if you get any toll bills in the mail, PAY THEM so you don't have future problems with car registration renewals.

Thanks so much. You are correct we are being routed through Manhattan and the Hugh Carey Tunnel. We will have Google Maps on the phone, but I will also have printed directions. I'll have to research your alternate routes, but I am most concerned with the least complicated route for husband who will be driving and for me to navigate. I may look at getting an ez pass, but appreciate the amounts to have ready.

We should arrive at the port around 11:00 Saturday, 10/21/17 and leave 8:00 or 9:00 Thursday, 10/26/17.

Looking at the map do I have this right:

I78 East to

I95 South (NJ Turnpike) to

I278 East (or North, bypasses get tricky) accross Goethals bridge/Staten Island, which becomes

I278 Verazzano-Narrows Bridge, until it meets with

I478 which takes me to the terminal?

Thanks again!

There are NO toll booths left at the Hugh Carey Tunnel (formally the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel). The EZ-Pass Readers/Cameras are on the Manhattan end of the tube.

You can register with the company that does the cashless tolling but you still pay the cash price not the ez-pass discount. see: https://www.tollsbymailny.com/vector/videotolls/paytollnow/signup.do?locale=en_US&from=Home

To get the EZPass discount you can just open a NY State EzPass account and get the transponder or face the cost of the cash prices.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/step1.shtml

Looking at the map do I have this right:

I78 East to

I95 South (NJ Turnpike) to

I278 East (or North, bypasses get tricky) accross Goethals bridge/Staten Island, which becomes

I278 Verazzano-Narrows Bridge, until it meets with

I478 which takes me to the terminal?

Thanks again!

No I478.

Here are the official Brooklyn Cruisepirt directions coming from NJ.

Take the NJ Turnpike south to Exit 13. Cross the Goethals Bridge to I-278, Staten Island Expressway and cross Verrazano Bridge into Brooklyn. Continue north on Gowanus / BQE and exit at Exit 26 (Hamilton Avenue). After the exit, go down the ramp to Van Brunt Street to its end, make a left turn on Van Brunt and travel 2 blocks and turn right onto Bowne Street to enter terminal.

Trip on a Sat should be fine. Leaving on a Thur I'd wait until 9 am or later.

Maybe someone can give directions for getting back onto I278 West from the cruise terminal. I looked at the google directions and they send you north to get on I278 West at exit 27. I understand what they're doing, but I've been lost in this area before. Is this really the best way to get on I278 westbound?

Maybe someone can give directions for getting back onto I278 West from the cruise terminal. I looked at the google directions and they send you north to get on I278 West at exit 27. I understand what they're doing, but I've been lost in this area before. Is this really the best way to get on I278 westbound?

As a long time resident of Brooklyn (who now resides in Staten Island), I will do anything to avoid entering I 278 at Exit 27 (in either direction). The acceleration lane is about 30 feet, with limited sight distance of on-coming traffic. My preferred choice is to stay on Hamilton Avenue, which becomes 3 Avenue (and stays under the highway, so you can't get lost) and enter 278 right before exit 20. One of the attachments shows how to get to Hamilton Avenue from the port; the other is directions from there to the entrance.

1322871378_ScreenShot2017-07-28at9_15_24PM.jpg.56d3048f62cdea370c67b4173372c002.jpg

1617759811_ScreenShot2017-07-28at9_28_13PM.jpg.3a5d3725c290531f747fd63416c4baea.jpg

TSS Alex's comments about BQE's Exit 27 On-Ramp toward the Gowanus (elevated highway) toward the Belt Parkway with the split for Staten Island is spot-on ... especially on a busy weekday morning for OP heading for NJ - avoid it.

Stay/navigate toward Hamilton Avenue, which parallel the Gowanus Expwy (I-278) down below, and it turn into 3rd. Avenue, with traffic lights, for about 3 or 4 miles - with an entrance/on-ramp to rejoin the I-278 bound for Staten Island. Please watch your speed limit and there are red lights camera along that stretch.

On weekdays, right at Red Hook - near the Hugh Carey Tunnel along Hamilton Avenue from the left lane only, there is an entrance ramp (it's not always opened, I've gotten on in years past during my weekday commute thru that area) just past Columbia Street, heading east. If it is open & entry permitted, merge onto but be careful of traffic coming out of the tunnel - continue straight ahead & keep right as you are then on I-278 East, heading toward Staten Island. Zoom in close on Google Map & you can see the directional arrow pointing to the entrance ... it is used mainly by locals, and, for first responders & emergency services to access the highway.

There is another entrance (official on-ramp, open 24/7) to I-278 East at 3rd. Avenue at Prospect Avenue (underneath the Prospect Expwy, westbound) From BCT, work your way across toward Smith Street, cross over the big intersection under/on Hamilton Avenue, toward 9th Street & then right turn on 9th Street, right turn on 3rd. Avenue & proceed straight - for 13 blocks (past 16th Street) and the ramp entrance with big sign for I-278 / Staten Island will be directly in front. Caution for this area - especially on/around Hamilton Avenue - beware of red lights camera ... photo tickets with fines-by-mail, if you run thru the intersections.

I-278/Gowanus West (toward Manhattan) will have HOV lanes in place until 10 AM and traffic heading outbound toward Staten Island & N.J. will be heavy but not as bad. If not in a hurry, relax & enjoy a fine breakfast on disembarkation morning, take your time to clear the vessel & go thru CBP with luggage.

Have a quick check of traffic & best routing first, before driving off and leaving the parking lot.

TSS Alex and mking2888 - thanks for the detailed comments about this area and for confirming my recollections and concerns about the return trip to NJ. We only lived in Brooklyn for a year - not long enough to become a "pro" on this particular route, but long enough to experience parts of it many times.

My recollection is that there is nothing really awful about following Hamilton Ave and 3rd Ave until you get to an entrance ramp. There is traffic and there are lights, but you can put on your patience and just get in one lane and do it. Plus it's really hard to get totally lost if you're on local streets.

On weekdays, right at Red Hook - near the Hugh Carey Tunnel along Hamilton Avenue from the left lane only, there is an entrance ramp (it's not always opened, I've gotten on in years past during my weekday commute thru that area) just past Columbia Street, heading east. If it is open & entry permitted, merge onto but be careful of traffic coming out of the tunnel - continue straight ahead & keep right as you are then on I-278 East, heading toward Staten Island. Zoom in close on Google Map & you can see the directional arrow pointing to the entrance ... it is used mainly by locals, and, for first responders & emergency services to access the highway.

Was hesitant to mention this one, mostly because I'm not sure if it still exists after the reconstruction of the (former) toll plaza. The entrance at the Prospect Expressway, much like the one at Atlantic Avenue (exit 27), is another to be avoided. If you're not extremely careful, you'll find yourself heading back towards the cruiseport. If you do get on the correct direction, it's a left hand entrance (which, IMHO, should be outlawed).

Was hesitant to mention this one, mostly because I'm not sure if it still exists after the reconstruction of the (former) toll plaza. The entrance at the Prospect Expressway, much like the one at Atlantic Avenue (exit 27), is another to be avoided ...
Hamilton Ave's entrance ramp is one of the tricky ones, never open 24/7 - sometimes open, other times closed ... plus express/commuter buses exiting for Hamilton Ave, creating a dangerous cross-traffic pattern. Not to mention, weekday morning before 10 AM, the inbound HOV movable lanes are still fully operational. If by chance, it is accessible, it's a short & easy one to get on with a straight line for Staten Island on the elevated I-278/Gowanus Expwy (without staying on Hamilton Avenue thru Sunset Park below the highway for the on-ramp several miles further)

The Prospect on-ramp isn't as horrible, IMO, as Exit 27, merging onto I-278 from the left lane ... in the AM hours on weekday, with HOV restrictions going the opposite direction toward Manhattan, not mission impossible (and, we got plenty more bad engineering designs all over the City, like the Harlem River Drive and Jackie Robinson Pkwy ... most CC'ers from out of town typically don't get to drive on and ride thru as passengers) Getting over to 3rd Avenue is the tricky part, as no turns permitted going east on Hamilton Avenue - thus, the only way is via Smith Street, leaving the Red Hook pier directly & going toward Ikea in the other direction instead.

Hamilton Avenue to Third Avenue, eastbound under the Gowanus or underneath on street level below I-278 is the simple & easy one, just take a little longer, patience and deal with the traffic lights (and don't get nailed with the red lights camera) ... GPS signals do fade in & out sometimes, when blocked while navigating. Speaking of dangerous merging with on-ramp and exit-ramp traffic, that I-278 ramp toward State Island is only slightly better ... with vehicles sometimes cutting across for the next exit for 6th Avenue on the elevated Gowenus/I-278 (but, it isn't bad compared to Exit 27's ramps).

I might be down in that area next week, stopping by nearby Ikea to do a little shopping and have a look at the Hamilton Ave ramp status ... any other CC locals familiar with that area for an update before this October would be useful to OP.

• 2 months later...

i've skimmed this thread and see the comments about tolls etc. but wanted a final opinion on coming from PA on 78 this saturday (planning 10:00 arrival) and returning thursday. toll costs dont matter to me. speed and no congestion are what matters. yes, i said it, i want no congestion in NYC :)

take 78 east to 287 /278 /verrazano

OR

78 east through holland tunnel and south through the tunnel

on sunday mornings it took me 2 hours to get from home to the Manhattan terminal and i found it a cake walk as well returning on a sunday. something tells me saturday/thursday will be different.

i've skimmed this thread and see the comments about tolls etc. but wanted a final opinion on coming from PA on 78 this saturday (planning 10:00 arrival) and returning thursday. toll costs dont matter to me. speed and no congestion are what matters. yes, i said it, i want no congestion in NYC :)

take 78 east to 287 /278 /verrazano

OR

78 east through holland tunnel and south through the tunnel

on sunday mornings it took me 2 hours to get from home to the Manhattan terminal and i found it a cake walk as well returning on a sunday. something tells me saturday/thursday will be different.

We only did Manhattan once, on our first cruise. It was fairly easy getting in, but getting home was very confusing about what lane to be in (we ultimately followed the example of a bus that did a u-turn to get where they wanted). We got an ez pass so the tolls shouldn't be much of an issue.

I printed directions 10/7 that indicated an issue on the normal route, but I think it has been resolved because I have different directions today.

i dont think i was clear, i'm asking about brooklyn.
Huh, no (traffic) congestion in NYC crossings on a Saturday morning ... sure, if you come thru the tunnels and/or bridges before 7 or 8 AM ... maybe.

Turn on your iPhone or smartphone's Map/Navigation with real-time traffic integration, I always switch to Waze in the metro NYC area for accuracy & best timing, etc. Depending on your starting point & whether stops are planned (restroom, fuel, etc.) - I would get rolling by 7 AM & allow extra time to get there without being lost thru city streets.

Coming across Staten Island could be faster but it's a longer drive, taking the proper lane for the right hand exit could be tricky if you have never driven into Red Hook. Driving thru Manhattan thru city streets & traffic lights is probably slower but possibly easier with the typical turn-by-turn navigationa assist; and, no toll across the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge.

All of NYC's crossings are free or cash-less toll by mail, if you do not own/use/borrow someone else's EZ-Pass ... no additional slow down going back them.

On your weekday morning return to PA, there are simply no ideal route to avoid congestion, never mind speed - I would simply relax, enjoy a full breakfast onboard & be among the last to be "chased" off the ship ... unless you want to compete with commuters, carpool lanes & HOV restrictions & reversal, etc. depending on routing. If Waze steer you toward going thru Staten Island, toll is $15 heading out to (none coming into Brooklyn but charged at the NJ crossing).

i think with certainty that ill take verrazano home. would be insane to head into and out of city.

google actually takes me up to 80 which is crazy. i will be using waze but i find its not always good even around home. hopefully around the big city it will be better.

so if i drive to the port through manhatten, the hugh tunnel seems a heck of a lot easier and more direct than the free bridges. is this correct? google maps appears to show the tunnel exit 'overshooting' the terminal though. like i have to go down then turn around and come back?

if this is not correct that tunnel is best. what is the best way to get from west st to the free bridges.

I-80 routing on a weekday morning commute/drive thru NY to Brooklyn's Red Hook ... is a viable & possible routing, depending on traffic & road conditions due to weather and/or accidents, closures, etc. I certainly put a lot of faith into Google, which uses real-time integrated traffic feed from Waze (and, it partnered with NYC Dept. of Transportation & NYPD) on choice of best approach - it also depends on where you are coming from PA, i.e. Scranton, or Allentown vs. points further south and/or west. It could route you onto I-85, which becomes I-95 to cross the G.W.B. & down the West Side Hwy to the Hugh Carey Tunnel, direct to Red Hook's pier vs. taking the Holland Tunnel. Tunnel is closed this Sunday

Tunnel's first exit in Brooklyn is beyond the pier - you just follow directions onto service road for local street (Hamilton Ave or whatever) and turnaround onto the other side/below the elevated BQE (I-278) to work your way to 72 Browne St, it looks more difficult but is quite easy.

If you come across the Holland Tunnel & opted to use the free bridges, it is more complicated & you will either take the Brooklyn Bridge or (I would opt for) Manhattan Bridge, which is relatively easier as you will go around the traffic loop out of the tunnel, past the "exit" for West St and also for downtown, and go east on Canal Street, straight up to the Manhattan Bridge (past Little Italy/Chinatown) & then follow signage for I-278/B.Q.E. for Staten Island. It is more complicated & you will have a series of traffic lights and 1 stop sign once in Brooklyn to deal with, and, take the 2nd. on-ramp to I-278 to avoid going to Queens or LGA Airport direction.

Waze or Google Map will give turn-by-turn direction to follow ... and, maybe take an extra 10 to 15 minutes, as long as you don't miss a turn along the way ... it will route you for either the Altantic Ave. exit along the waterfront to the pier, for a further down @ Hamilton Ave. exit closer to Red Hook for pier parking.

Around Hamilton Ave & BQE's entrance/exit ramps - there are red light cameras, be careful & don't try to beat the amber to red lights on weekdays ... unless Waze indicated otherwise, I would take local streets to rejoin the BQE/Gowenus for Staten Island as the morning rush hour begin to fade, after 9:30 to 10 AM.

News radio AM 880 and 1010 will give updated & major traffic alerts ever 8 and 11 minutes on major incidents to avoid, go around & heads up with major closures. I believed this Sunday, the Hugh Carey Tunnel is closed for a charity run from about 7:30 AM until 3 PM.

See this NYTaxi driver's alert link for more info on the coming days - most of it will not be of interest or importance to you.

http://www.mynytaxi.com/nyc-weekend-traffic-advisory/

was off ship at 710 went home the same way. but i think there was a detour for 278 and felt like i went in a circle. i remember hamilton, 20th and who knows what else. but once on 278 there was no traffic. until got into NJ for a bit. still less than 3 hours to get home was great. took about 2.5 or so to get there.

glad i stayed out of manhattan.

and you people who do this every day, i gotta ask. how much do you get paid? :) you should be at least 6 figures to go through what i saw that hell was heading back into the city that early in the morning. i cannot imagine the countless hours in traffic and parking and accidents you see every year. i could never do that.

was off ship at 710 went home the same way. but i think there was a detour for 278 and felt like i went in a circle. i remember hamilton, 20th and who knows what else. but once on 278 there was no traffic. until got into NJ for a bit. still less than 3 hours to get home was great. took about 2.5 or so to get there.

glad i stayed out of manhattan.

and you people who do this every day, i gotta ask. how much do you get paid? :) you should be at least 6 figures to go through what i saw that hell was heading back into the city that early in the morning. i cannot imagine the countless hours in traffic and parking and accidents you see every year. i could never do that.

My DH commuted for 15 years, lots of people do here. He drove to a park and ride, took a bus, and then walked or took a subway to his office. He now can work from home, and when he has to go to that office, he’s so glad he doesn’t have to do it daily. The majority of commuters take the bus or train, and don’t drive themselves (faster and cheaper). And to be honest, if you have a family, you do need at least a 6 figure salary to live here.