Luggage Size Restrictions - Delta

sedaniel

We recently had a flood destroy a lot of our belongings stored in the basement, including our luggage. We are looking at purchasing new large luggages for checked baggage on our upcoming flight to Europe for a cruise. I read on Delta's website that their size restriction is 62" maximum when you add height + length + width. Does anyone know if this includes wheels or not? The luggage I want to purchase is 64" including wheels, which will work if Delta's restriction does not include wheels (like American Airlines restrictions specifies that it does not include wheels). If anyone could clarify it would be much appreciated, as Delta is taking a while to get back to me about my question. Thank you!

It means the LUGGAGE size. That includes the wheels. You are oversize if you buy that suitcase. No ifs, and, buts.

On AA, it's pretty clear:

"We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, your checked baggage allowance is:

• Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
  • Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs"

TOTAL outside dimensions - those wheels are part of the bag, so yes, they are included.

For Delta:

"BAGGAGE SIZE MUST NOT EXCEED 62 INCHES (157 CM) WHEN YOU TOTAL LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT"

So, I'm not sure why you are confused.

FYI: Measure from the floor for the total height.

I recently purchased some Samsonite suitcases from Ross. The tags on them say 28"; when I measured the "box" it was 28" tall. Had to add another 3" for the wheels for a total height of 31".

Spinner luggage is probably the worst, as all of the wheel assemblies are outside the main "box". Two wheeled luggage has them placed into corners, so less excess.

It is the total size that counts. And, don't forget that just because it might fit DL's limits, will it work for other carriers?

Of course, as always, do you feel lucky?

Agree with others- 62" includes wheels and handles.

On a side note, luggage that big is usually difficult to keep under 50 lbs. when fully packed, so even if they don't measure it, as soon as you set it on the scale to hand it over, it will register the weight. If it's over, even by 2 or 3 lbs., expect to be asked to take items out or pay an exorbitant fee.

Before you pack that much stuff, step back and think about it. Unless you have some sort of very unusual situation, you should be able to easily pack in a 24" (including wheels and handle). Best rule of travel packing is to lay out what you think you need and then put half of it back. See the links in my signature that describe my packing in a 20" rolling bag for a variety of different climates and trips.

Thanks for everyone's reply - Delta finally got back to me so just wanted to confirm for anyone else who may have the same question that the 62" for them DOES include wheels. I don't need to worry about 50 lb limit because we are flying business class and it's 70 lb limit. Thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for everyone's reply - Delta finally got back to me so just wanted to confirm for anyone else who may have the same question that the 62" for them DOES include wheels. I don't need to worry about 50 lb limit because we are flying business class and it's 70 lb limit. Thank you everyone!

Seventy pounds is a LOT of weight. Unless you've got very special circumstances, why do you need to pack so much?

It really is not that hard to hit the 50lb limit. Don't know why anyone cares what the OP packs anyway.

Maybe if you're packing rocks... I've never hit over 38 pounds--in a 24" bag, except once when I checked a 24" bag full of promotional materials while I was on my way to a trade show because FedEx decided to go on strike.

Maybe if you're packing rocks... I've never hit over 38 pounds--in a 24" bag, except once when I checked a 24" bag full of promotional materials while I was on my way to a trade show because FedEx decided to go on strike.

Interesting.

When we go for 10 days to two weeks we take two 28" suitcases and two 22" carry on pieces. Judging by the luggage that I see placed outside rooms the night before the cruise ends I think that is what the vast majority of the folks do. Well, at least on the ships we sail.

When we take a World Cruise we take on average 8 28" suitcases and that includes one full one of toiletries.

Most we keep between 50 to 60 lbs and usually one (the one with the toiletries) weighs in at around 68 pounds.

I do agree that what someone takes with them is really not relevant and like most things in life we all have different approaches as well as likes and dislikes. We all also do different things on ships which might necessitate more or less luggage depending on the individual(s).

Keith

Agree, I also don't feel the need to lecture people about the weight or amount of their baggage.

Over packing isn't for me, so I don't do it. I've never had a bag that weighed over 37 pounds or that was larger than 24" tall, but that's what works for me. If someone wants to bring a bag or two full of shoes, that's their business

I have a very nice wine carrier that fits nicely into my suit case. I have returned from Europe with multiple bottles of expensive,or near impossible to get wines in the US, with that wine case bulging. My clothes in the suitcase just has to compact a bit! Hitting 50 lbs is easy and my wine isn't rocks! Duck lite must like in a small cocoon!

I travel internationally a lot and fly on most US carriers and their partner airlines, plus airlines most people have never heard of - Okay Airways, for example.

I've been through lots of luggage over the years - Samsonite, American Tourister, etc.

At the moment I'm flying with TravelPro, specifically Maxlite 4. I have a 25 inch spinner carry on and a 28 inch spinner checked bag. They are super lite and durable with the best wheels I've ever had. Both bags easily pack cloths for two week trips to China. I've never had any problem checking the big one on any airline and the carry on fits in the overhead bins of all regular planes, just not commuter jets.

FYI: Measure from the floor for the total height.

I recently purchased some Samsonite suitcases from Ross. The tags on them say 28"; when I measured the "box" it was 28" tall. Had to add another 3" for the wheels for a total height of 31".

I found this to be common. Don't believe the lengths advertised... do your own measuring to be sure

Scuba diving I am usually right at the 50lb limit. That is just with basic stuff. Regulator and computer are in my carry on. When going to go do photography somewhere it is not hard to either. After keeping the carry on just essential camera gear and everything else in checked bag....again...close to 50 lbs. Traveling to a cold climate form a warm one..winter stuff,, easy to add up the weight. Plus not to mention the actual weight of the suitcase to start with. So, just because you don't go over 38 pounds it doesn't mean that it is not hard to do.

Of course - if you are taking speciality sports equipment, you're going to be traveling heavy. I don't scuba (damn asthma), but I do ski. And, I have to bring my own ski boots - my one nasty injury that resulted in a surgically restored lower leg and ankle left me with some extra hardware and a big toe that permanently feels kind of like it is "asleep". So, I've got custom boots with heated soles (my big toe can't tell when it's cold). Packing them, well they are heavy and they are bulky and I can't do anything about it. I would think it's the same with scuba - your mask, fins, regulator, etc. If I'm working an event in the middle of winter outside - yep, I've got to bring my -40 boots, and my "uniform" (official jacket, warmup pants, etc), so I'm packing bigger. Outside of specialty vacations, I don't really treat my packing any differently and go from a 20" to a 24", depending. I take airline luggage size rules seriously and do not size up and try to roll the dice on whether my bag will fit in the overhead or will be overweight or over sized.

I have a very nice wine carrier that fits nicely into my suit case. I have returned from Europe with multiple bottles of expensive,or near impossible to get wines in the US, with that wine case bulging. My clothes in the suitcase just has to compact a bit! Hitting 50 lbs is easy and my wine isn't rocks! Duck lite must like in a small cocoon!

I have three Wine Checks. Fully packed with typical 750's the 12 bottle versions weigh around 43 pounds. Of course if you're putting in those heavy bottle from Mendoza, it's a different story.