Dining in Specialty Restaurants (I hope an easy question)

Shawnino

We have sailed NCL lots and aer thinking about switching to something else as the food quality on NCL has dropped. Oceania bills itself as the finest cuisine at sea, so it looks like a place to start.

Dining FAQ here:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

and it details how many pre-cruise reservations a guest can make based on class of cabin.

Question: what if you want more? E.G. if I want to dine is specialty restaurants every night, and avoid the MDR entirely, can I pay an upcharge and do that?

Thanks.

We have sailed NCL lots and aer thinking about switching to something else as the food quality on NCL has dropped. Oceania bills itself as the finest cuisine at sea, so it looks like a place to start.

Dining FAQ here:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

and it details how many pre-cruise reservations a guest can make based on class of cabin.

Question: what if you want more? E.G. if I want to dine is specialty restaurants every night, and avoid the MDR entirely, can I pay an upcharge and do that?

Thanks.

There is no way to pay for free restaurants.

You can check each morning if there is room but you may or may not get reservations. If you are in one of the top suites you can order from the specialties to be delivered to your suite and you also have a much better chance of getting additional reservations.

Food is subjective but the food quality is the same all over the ship

The menus in the Specialties do not vary from day to day

The Terrace is also good & a lot of people prefer it over the GDR

JMO

The Preismans do a good job with food photos you can compare with NCL offerings

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm

Unless one is in one of the top suites, the chance of eating every night of in a Specialty is very slim. Cabin status is an important advantage, but for PH and below the personal attempts to allow most everyone have an extra reservations if possible. As was explained to me if one has gotten three extra nights and someone else has had none, the latter goes higher on the priority list.

The procedure is to go to the reservations desk, on deck 4 or5 depending upon ship, and requests for that evening only are taken. The desk takes requests from 8-1. One is typically notified 3:30 -4:00 if they were chosen for that evening. Priority is established by:

1. Is that the cruisers first request for the venue, i.e. The guarantee for each venue.

2. By cabin status, with the above mentioned exceptions.

Being in line first, at 8:00 am doesn't affect the priority list as it does at some resorts.

As noted before, if one is in a PH or above the Butler will serve you in suite with Dinner from one of the Specialties.

We just returned from a great 12 night Baltic cruise. We were in a PH suite and think we ate in a specialty restaurant 9 times. It all depends on flexibility and space but we found the staff to be very accommodating. The food was great!

Question: what if you want more?

Be prepared to be flexible. If you're prepared to eat very late, you'll increase your chance of getting a table. If you're prepared to always dine as part of a group table, you'll increase your chance of getting a table.

And, if you don't snag a specialty every single night, it will be very easy to console yourself with the high quality in both the Terrace and the MDR options. (In fact, if you become a regular on Oceania, you may become bored with the menus at the specialty restaurants. There's less change in those venues; many of the dishes have been on the specialty menus since Oceania came into existence.)

Food is subjective but the food quality is the same all over the ship

The menus in the Specialties do not vary from day to day

The Terrace is also good & a lot of people prefer it over the GDR

JMO

The Preismans do a good job with food photos you can compare with NCL offerings

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm

Wow, What a great post. Between the great pictures of the menus and the wonderful port pictures I don't have to go. Makes me feel that I am there already. Just kidding. Can't wait to go again. Getting hungry already. Soon.

Going from NCL to Oceania is a big change - but a great one.

Just off Oceania Marina Baltic Sept 24. We were in a veranda.

We had 8 "themed" restaurants in 12 nites - no complaints.

The basic allotment - Each guest gets a reservation in each of the 4 "themed" restaurants (they are not specialty restaurants in mass market lingo, because there is no extra charge). Your reservations open about 3-4 months before your departure. Yes, the higher cost rooms get so called better access, but we got up at 12:01 am on the day the reservations opened and got everything we wanted - tables for 2 x 4 reservations. Everything worked perfectly.

Once aboard, additional reservations beyond the basic 4 were not available until about 4 days after - this was to allow all guests to get their minimum allotment of 4 reservations. The person in the Terrace eating area referred to earlier is there ONLY to take reservations from those guests who did not have their 4 reservations.

Fast forward to 4 days later, there were 2 ways to get additional reservations beyond your basic 4 - 1) in the main lobby area by guest relations there was a table set up early each day with a person who would take reservations. There we got 3 more reservations - most were tables for 2 at 7:30 pm and one table for 4. Was very excellent. Option 2) go to the themed restaurant that you desire at 6:30 when they open and ask for a booking. We found using the 1) above in the main lobby was best because they had control over inventory of all restaurants, so if your desired did not work out you got information on your backup.

This was our first Oceania trip and we are beyond pleased. A huge step up from the mass lines and we had previously 20 years on Celebrity.

To the OP - this is an entirely different world vs the mass lines - the food was excellent but it was the service and the decorum of the guests that really made the impression. Also, the size of Oceania ships are much smaller than NCL, you will notice this.

Wishing you a great trip on Oceania!

Going from NCL to Oceania is a big change - but a great one.

Just off Oceania Marina Baltic Sept 24. We were in a veranda.

We had 8 "themed" restaurants in 12 nites - no complaints.

The basic allotment - Each guest gets a reservation in each of the 4 "themed" restaurants (they are not specialty restaurants in mass market lingo, because there is no extra charge). Your reservations open about 3-4 months before your departure. Yes, the higher cost rooms get so called better access, but we got up at 12:01 am on the day the reservations opened and got everything we wanted - tables for 2 x 4 reservations. Everything worked perfectly.

Once aboard, additional reservations beyond the basic 4 were not available until about 4 days after - this was to allow all guests to get their minimum allotment of 4 reservations. The person in the Terrace eating area referred to earlier is there ONLY to take reservations from those guests who did not have their 4 reservations.

Fast forward to 4 days later, there were 2 ways to get additional reservations beyond your basic 4 - 1) in the main lobby area by guest relations there was a table set up early each day with a person who would take reservations. There we got 3 more reservations - most were tables for 2 at 7:30 pm and one table for 4. Was very excellent. Option 2) go to the themed restaurant that you desire at 6:30 when they open and ask for a booking. We found using the 1) above in the main lobby was best because they had control over inventory of all restaurants, so if your desired did not work out you got information on your backup.

This was our first Oceania trip and we are beyond pleased. A huge step up from the mass lines and we had previously 20 years on Celebrity.

To the OP - this is an entirely different world vs the mass lines - the food was excellent but it was the service and the decorum of the guests that really made the impression. Also, the size of Oceania ships are much smaller than NCL, you will notice this.

Wishing you a great trip on Oceania!

No, they're called "specialty restaurants" on Oceania . "Themed restuarant" is perhaps your own construct, or something you copied from another poster. In some cases there are specialty restaurants on mass market lines that also do not carry an extra charge, for example the asian restaurant on NCL.

This is from the "manage booking" page (where one's restaurant reservations are listed) of my upcoming cruise:

Also from a general Oceania website page describing "value":

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/

• FREE dining at all specialty restaurants

Thank you kindly njhorseman.

The word "themed" came from restaurant staff and the concierge on the Marina notwithstanding the website.

It was explained to me as follows - Oceania is reaching for the disgruntled loyal cruisers on the mass lines - they are used to the word "specialty" meaning extra fee.

To differentiate the Oceania product from the mass lines - they want to remove the "specialty" and replace with "themed" so that new customers have no expectation there is a charge for the 4 restaurants. Using the word "themed" also creates interest because it is different.

Makes total sense to me. Since mass cruise line customers are so "programmed" - it is important for the Oceania's and above to adjust their marketing so they can create a separation from the mass lines.

I can see where a change could make sense, but for those of us who have sailed with Oceania from the beginning (and Renaissance before that), we've always called them specialty restaurants ...

The word "themed" came from restaurant staff and the concierge on the Marina notwithstanding the website.

It was explained to me as follows - Oceania is reaching for the disgruntled loyal cruisers on the mass lines - they are used to the word "specialty" meaning extra fee.

To differentiate the Oceania product from the mass lines - they want to remove the "specialty" and replace with "themed" so that new customers have no expectation there is a charge for the 4 restaurants. Using the word "themed" also creates interest because it is different.

Makes total sense to me. Since mass cruise line customers are so "programmed" - it is important for the Oceania's and above to adjust their marketing so they can create a separation from the mass lines.

"Themed restaurants" are the polar opposite of the image of fine dining that Oceania promotes.

Examples of themed restaurants are Rainforest Cafe, Medieval Times and Hard Rock Cafe. Food and service in themed restaurants are afterthoughts relative to the theme .

Hard to believe that Oceania would be so ignorant as to use that terminology.

Marina and Riviera have two venues not yet mentioned. Privee is a private dining experience for up to ten people and guests choose foods from Polo and Toscano restaurants. One person makes the booking and is charged $250 for up to ten people. Individuals booking can decide whether to invite others to share the cost. This is a lovely experience.

There is also La Reserve, food with wine pairings for a fee. Have not experienced this.

Agree with previous comments that the food quality is consistently excellent and quite varied in the Main dining room. You don't have to plan how to avoid the standard meals, unlike the mass market lines that offer good food once or twice a week.

The Terrace Grill is also good but I don't care to eat dinner in a buffet setting.

Edited by sammiedawg

Sammie, we haven't done Privee (although if invited we'd be delighted) ... but we have done La Reserve several times and enjoyed it very much. We are booked for a dinner on Marina in November and will plan on another one on Riviera next May.

But as I have often said here we tend to PREFER the GDR to the "specialties" (bearing in mind a possible shift in terminology). That is precisely because of the changing menus that the specialty restaurants don't have. And it's true that some of those dishes have been on the Toscana, etc., menus for 15 years now. But the GDR has a menu that changes every 4 days or so and gives you a choice of about 5 main courses plus a few every day choices.

And if you want a more casual experience, go to Terrace and you'll find a number of the GDR offerings plus freshly cooked items from the grill, etc.

I LOVE Terrace on Marina/Riviera ... I LIKE it on the "R" ships. That's primarily because the "R" ships just don't have as much room, but because they are inherently inferior.

But to go back to the O:P's first question, it's really not difficult. I've said this SO many times ... There are cruises where you can get lots of extra reservations in Toscana, etc., and there are cruises where it's difficult. It depends on how many of your fellow passengers ALSO want extra reservations.

Your chances are better on longer cruises than they are on shorter cruises.

Just hope that most of your fellow passengers are like us: we aren't all that interested in the specialty restaurants. We do love Jacques on the big ships, but like Polo and Toscana, and are very mild about Red Ginger. We rarely use all the reservations we are entitled to.

So go for it! But may I suggest: Don't eliminate the GDR without trying it at least once. Our last NCL cruise was 7 years ago, but our experience with the main dining rooms were -- adequate. No better than that. The general level in all dining rooms is far superior on Oceania.

And as Lyn said at the outset: no, you can't pay a fee to eliminate the GDR or Terrace and only dine in the specialties. Some people DO manage that ... but go back to what I said about how many other passengers on your cruise also want only specialties.

Plus I agree 100% with the comment that you can get bored with the set menus in the specialties. We have our favorites on each of those menus, but there is just NO WAY that we would want to dine in one of them every night. Maybe on a 7 night cruise... but we don't book those!

JUST MY OPINION!

Mura

I agree with Mura on the GDR. We like the changing menus. Most of all we live it when the chef finds fresh seafood or produce that he can serve as specials on any given night. The Specialties almost never change their menus and almost never have fresh fish or items. We have often found the best dinners aboard came from the GDR not the Specialties. I love Polo's prime rib, but for me , I'm good for it once every 6 months at best.

Like Sammie we rarely eat dinner in the Terrace, especially on the R ships. An exception might be if we can get an outside table on a later departure night.

The food is of overall high standards, but as an example on my recent 21 day cruise, none of our top 5 meals where had aboard ship. Those were all ashore in neat restaurants serving exceptionally well prepared local fresh produce and cuisine. Unlike some, I don't travel the world to eat Americanized dishes, I want local cuisine made with great ingredients. Dinner aboard usually takes a backseat to an exception lunch ashore, with whatever room I have left .

When we have a late departure or port overnight, we eat local ashore. Makes more evenings for those only want the Specialties!

Lots of useful info here: thank you.

I guess what puts my mind at ease is that the 'GDR' is thought by posters here to be of a good standard. That's a valuable assessment and I appreciate it.

On NCL, the main dining room is pretty bad, and the Specialty restaurants are slipping, so it's likely time for us to switch... somewhere.

Good food and a comfortable place to lay our heads are the only two things we really demand of a ship--we like port-intensive itineraries, and are happy to just hang out in quiet areas on sea days.

You make some interesting posts. I guess I'm too busy on my cruises to conduct surveys. I do have to say after double digit trips on Oceania, and multiple times of dining with GM's, Captains, Social directors, Oceania Club hosts, etc. I've never heard this concept or idea.

Must be a brand new thing,(I only got back from my last cruise less than a month ago) or maybe I didn't ask the right questions. You'd think if they wanted to change the public's perception the first thing they would do is change it on the website as this is many people's first perception of the cruise line when they are new to it. I just checked on the website and nowhere do they use the term "themed", but multiple uses of Specialty.

To me "themed" sounds like something you would hear on NCL or Royal Caribbean.

I'll ask about this on my Marina trip in Dec.

Good food and a comfortable place to lay our heads are the only two things we really demand of a ship--we like port-intensive itineraries, and are happy to just hang out in quiet areas on sea days.

I predict you'll like Oceania quite well then, unless you're looking for high energy shows and entertainment.

Oceania does have excellent food and extremely comfortable beds.

One time, we went to a specialty restaurant when they opened at 6:30, told them we were interested in a table and were willing to share. After about20 minutes, when everyone assigned that time had shown up, they could accommodate us.