Thanksgiving Cruise on Zuiderdam

tractortom

Morning folks,

The wife and I were looking at a Panama Canal cruise for January of 2019, on Zuiderdam, the 11 day Seafarer. Then I got on line and saw that the rates were down a bit if we cruised the week of Thanksgiving 2017 on the same ship, on the same route.

Was wondering if any of you have been on the ship for at Thanksgiving and what to expect?

I have a 'hold' on the cruise for right now, am not happy with the suite available on 8, as we would be right under the Lido. If we decide to go forward with the cruise, I'll probably be calling to see if we can find a different cabin/suite for the same money. If all goes well, by the end of the day, we'll probably be headed to Holland America to cruise for Thanksgiving, and on Disney Fantasy in February for a seven day eastern Caribbean. Sounds like a good way to chase away the winter blues.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Well, it's done. I called them just before lunch and paid for the cruise and selected a little better cabin than the SY on 8 that I had originally.

Looking forward to seeing some new ports, as we have never gone that far south before, never been to South America, even for a day.

Thanks everyone, I really enjoy this Cruise Critic board and am looking forward to being on Holland America again after the 17+ year break.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

I think you are on our cruise. You may want to join the roll call😀

I will after I get home from work today. My work computer has a block on Facebook or anything related to social media.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Hey Tom, We've done the TG cruises several times & all have been great! Perhaps a few more kiddos on the ship that week, but all have been great! On TG Day, probably wouldn't do the turkey dinner... Go for a steak or anything else.. If you're used to real sausage dressing & ground cranberries vs. gelled poop... Just go go the other menu options..

You'll have a super trip!!!

This will be our 3rd Thanksgiving cruise. We didn't find that many children on the ship which surprised us. We also found that the Thanksgiving crowd seemed a bit livelier than the groups on the longer cruises. So cruising over Thanksgiving has now become our "tradition."

We did this exact same cruise on the same ship almost 2 years ago. We found the ports to be interesting especially Cartegena. It's a bit different that the standard Caribbean ports. I think you will really enjoy it.

Helen

Hey Tom, We've done the TG cruises several times & all have been great! Perhaps a few more kiddos on the ship that week, but all have been great! On TG Day, probably wouldn't do the turkey dinner... Go for a steak or anything else.. If you're used to real sausage dressing & ground cranberries vs. gelled poop... Just go go the other menu options..

You'll have a super trip!!!

The ships we have been on over Thanksgiving didn't serve real turkey -- just the processed stuff -- and we don't care for it. After trying it a couple of times because a few people here insisted that it was the real stuff, we gave it up and instead we go to the Pinnacle Grill for dinner.

Well, it's done. I called them just before lunch and paid for the cruise and selected a little better cabin than the SY on 8 that I had originally.

Congrats! Don't worry about noise from the Lido. We have booked SY cabins on deck 8 a few times and never had an issue. It is a great location with easy access to the Lido deck.

We are on this cruise in a Suite on Deck 8 as well, and we have had cabins on that deck as well before. Never had a problem with noise and it is a great location. Don’t know if you are aware of this, but the ship is in a dry dock the end of Oct and early Nov., the suites are being refurbished with new carpets, wall coverings and updated bathrooms. Something else to look forward to on an interesting itinerary.

We are on this cruise in a Suite on Deck 8 as well, and we have had cabins on that deck as well before. Never had a problem with noise and it is a great location. Don’t know if you are aware of this, but the ship is in a dry dock the end of Oct and early Nov., the suites are being refurbished with new carpets, wall coverings and updated bathrooms. Something else to look forward to on an interesting itinerary.

Hi...come on over and join us on the roll call. We're having a meet & greet and I'd be happy to add you if you'd like to join us. Just let me know.

Helen

We've sailed every year over Thanksgiving for at least 10 years. Full TG dinner is served in the dining room and Lido - it is real turkey, not processed! On Princess, they have a display in the atrium area and decorate the dining room. We sailed last on the Statendam over TG in 2010 and it was similar.

We are also on the cruise. We have been in SY's on 8 in previous cruises and have never had an issue with Lido noise. As someone has already stated...real easy access to the Lido, with no need to wait for the crowded morning elevators. We are looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with all the American cruisers.

We are also on the cruise. We have been in SY's on 8 in previous cruises and have never had an issue with Lido noise. As someone has already stated...real easy access to the Lido, with no need to wait for the crowded morning elevators. We are looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with all the American cruisers.

Yeah, it's kind of a "United States" holiday, isn't it? Good to hear from our neighbors up-north. See you at the buffet!

Tom in Okeechobee, FL