Independent Excursion Company Recommendations

nugget742

Taking an RC Eastern Caribbean cruise in November. Looking for advice on companies for independent excursions in St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Thanks in advance.

You may also want to ask this on the port of call forums:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428

Read the Ts&Cs very carefully. Cancelling an excursion with RCI is quite simple. Maybe not so much with a 3rd party.

I just want to reiterate this. If by chance the cruise has to alter your itinerary, such as skipping a port, or changing the time you'll be in port, you may not be able to get a refund from a third party. Also, weigh the risk of potentially missing your cruise because the third party excursion is running late. I'm very supportive of taking third party excursions (or doing a DIY excursion) when I can, but I definitely weigh those things too.

What I like to do is read through the cruise line excursions to get an idea of what there is to do in each port. Then I go to TripAdvisor to find local tour companies that provide tours to the things I want to do. I sometimes use those third party sites mentioned when I can’t find a local company to book with directly. I only book with companies they allow you to pay upon arrival or include in their T&Cs that they will refund any money paid if the ship misses or is too late to port. We have had some exceptional tours booked this way and highly recommend using local companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

St. Thomas is incredibly easy to do on your own, without a ship or independent organized tour. Have been many times and have taken a taxi to Magen's Bay, and also to Sapphire Beach. When you get off the ship you will see the taxi dispatcher - tell him where you want to go and he will direct you. :)

As mentioned, the Ports of Call board is a wealth of information.

What I like to do is read through the cruise line excursions to get an idea of what there is to do in each port. Then I go to TripAdvisor to find local tour companies that provide tours to the things I want to do. I sometimes use those third party sites mentioned when I can’t find a local company to book with directly. I only book with companies they allow you to pay upon arrival or include in their T&Cs that they will refund any money paid if the ship misses or is too late to port. We have had some exceptional tours booked this way and highly recommend using local companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well stated. Should be repeated every time someone asks about booking independently!

• 2 weeks later...