Key West Places to Eat

meicheraxo

Be careful where you go. Key West is full of overpriced tourist traps.

For a foodie, I would recommend Blackfin Bistro, Thirsty Mermaid or Azur. All three have excellent food. You can look at menus on line. If a view is important to you, Louie's Backyard has ocean front seating and excellent food during lunch. It's a bit more expensive than my other suggestions, but great for a special lunch. Make a reservation if you choose Louie's for better seating.

Even though I really like just about all of the places that have been mentioned, I think that Keywester's recommendations would be more interesting for a foodie. Except I haven't been to the Thirsty Mermaid---it looks really good--- plan to go next week.

You'd have to get transportation to Louie's, unless you're a major walker, but it does have a lovely setting overlooking the ocean.

We're lucky enough to be spending several days there (Jan. 29-Feb. 3) after a cruise. I've been compiling a list of restaurants that sounded interesting to me:

Blue Heaven

Bliss

Bien

Garbo's Grill

Caroline's

El Siboney

Chico's Cantina

Banana Cafe

Green Parrot (mostly for music)

Louie's Backyard (lunch special is all we could afford)

Can anyone comment on these beyond the mentions we've already seen here for Blue Heaven and Caroline's?

Jim

We're lucky enough to be spending several days there (Jan. 29-Feb. 3) after a cruise. I've been compiling a list of restaurants that sounded interesting to me:

Blue Heaven

Bliss

Bien

Garbo's Grill

Caroline's

El Siboney

Chico's Cantina

Banana Cafe

Can anyone comment on these beyond the mentions we've already seen here for Blue Heaven and Caroline's?

Jim

Garbo's - I loved it, my wife not so much. Its a food truck and she isn't a big fan of them. She did like the fish taco - I loved their burger

Every vacation in Key West, we include a trip to La Trattoria on the corner of Duval and Apelrouth. As the name would indicate this is Italian cuisine.

We also include a trip to A& B Lobster House at the Schooner Wharf area, second floor. They have the best chocolate martinis I have ever had.

Both of the above restaurants are open only evenings. A & B Lobster House has outdoor seating if you want to see the wonderful view of the harbor. They have a cheaper restaurant downstairs that is open for lunch and very popular.

We also like Louie's Backyard and it has a great view too. We go at lunch. At night it can get pretty crowded, but if you go at night, make reservations.

We also always make the boat trip out to Sunset Key Latitude's restaurant. They are open for brekfast, lunch and dinner. That place is very popular at sunset, so make reservations well in advance if you choose that time. The boat is free but you cannot get on it without reservations which you make through the Hilton Hotel's concierge. The view at Latitudes is fabulous.

Blue Heaven

Bliss

Bien

Garbo's Grill

Caroline's

El Siboney

Chico's Cantina

Banana Cafe

Jim

I have been to all these and you have made good choices. I don't think Carolines is as good as the others if you have to drop one. Chico's Cantina is our best Mexican here, but you likely have as good where you live. If you are going to Stock Island, where Chico's is located, you might want to try Hogfish Bar and Grill. It's a great casual spot with good seafood and decent prices. Green Parrot is a great bar, not a place to eat. Make reservations for Louie's. it's a beautiful spot for a lunch splurge.

I have been to all these and you have made good choices. I don't think Carolines is as good as the others if you have to drop one. Chico's Cantina is our best Mexican here, but you likely have as good where you live. If you are going to Stock Island, where Chico's is located, you might want to try Hogfish Bar and Grill. It's a great casual spot with good seafood and decent prices. Green Parrot is a great bar, not a place to eat. Make reservations for Louie's. it's a beautiful spot for a lunch splurge.

Many thanks to keywester33 and the others. And OP, I hope you don't mind the diversion in your thread. Maybe we can both benefit from each other's questions.

I hadn't noticed Chico's was on Stock Island, but since we've rented a car for the drive to KW from FLL, that opens things up a bit. Hogfish sounds like a good addition to the list. Blackfin Bistro sounds good too, and maybe Turtle Kraals. I'm already wishing we had more time.

Jim

• 1 month later...
Garbo's - I loved it, my wife not so much. Its a food truck and she isn't a big fan of them. She did like the fish taco - I loved their burger

We decided to book our Victory cruise this year just to be able to go back to Garbo's. We love the food at Garbo's.

We just got back a week or so ago. Memorable meals for us were:

Caroline's -- good food, great service and a really nice outdoor setting

Garbo's Grill -- just a bunch of tables scattered in a yard, but fantastic fish tacos

Blue Heaven -- more expensive than I was prepared for, but a great menu and a welcoming place with live music

Cuban Coffee Queen -- just coffee and sandwiches and not much of anywhere to sit, but sandwiches were cheap (not much in KW is) and great.

Places that didn't do much for us:

Turtle Kraals -- great setting, so-so food and service

Chico's Cantina -- I don't know why we keep trying Mexican food on the East Coast. We live in a town of 2,000 and we have two Mexican places that beat the pants off anywhere I've tried east of the Rockies. Chico's did have surprisingly good salsa, though.

Jim

• 6 months later...

I know this is a late post, But! We used live down in KW and El Siboney is where we ate all the time. Dinner is pricey, but sandwiches normal prices. So good. I have a friend that is a conch and she said 5 guys has awesome burgers. I have not ate there, but I would take her word!

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know if Blackfin Bistro offers any lunch items other than burgers, sandwiches and salads?

Yes, they do. They have fish, shrimp and a couple pasta dishes as well as several appetizers. Their menu is online.

However, they will likely be closed for a while. Large trees damaged their outdoor seating area during Irma and they haven't announced a reopening date yet.

Thank you so much. I mistakenly thought they were open for next week. Maybe next year. Will have to try one of your other recommendations.

Yes, they do. They have fish, shrimp and a couple pasta dishes as well as several appetizers. Their menu is online.

However, they will likely be closed for a while. Large trees damaged their outdoor seating area during Irma and they haven't announced a reopening date yet.