Gray Prime Rib On Inspiration 🤢

wizfourfam

Cooking a prime rib to the point there is no pink just defeats the purpose of having it in the first place. It would ruin the flavor and texture. Better to order a hamburger or flat iron steak.

If the OP wanted it less well done, he could have simply sent it back and requested another one. No need to make a big fuss over it.

When I was in high school, I worked at a steak house. There's obviously only so many pieces of rare, medium rare, medium, well done, etc in a roast. If we ever ran out of well done, we would just take a piece of medium and soak it in a pan of au jus. Voila - no more pink, and customers never knew the difference. If anything, they were probably shocked at how tender their well done piece of meat was.

:)

When I was in high school, I worked at a steak house. There's obviously only so many pieces of rare, medium rare, medium, well done, etc in a roast. If we ever ran out of well done, we would just take a piece of medium and soak it in a pan of au jus. Voila - no more pink, and customers never knew the difference. If anything, they were probably shocked at how tender their well done piece of meat was.

:)

"Well done" in regard to steak or prime rib, is an oxymoron.

We were asked if everything was ok with our meal (steak not eaten),

What was your reply? Did you tell your waiter what your issue was? If not, how can they make it better? If you had simply stated "We ordered the Prime Rib medium and it was not served medium" they would have certainly gotten you a properly prepared one or offered other options.

Mistakes happen, but it is far better to deal with the issue in the moment rather than not say anything, or offer an opportunity to correct the situation, in order to have something to complain about online when you get home.

Just off the Inspiration and was served gray colored Prime Rib on formal night, no where near the “medium” we both requested. The au jus gravy the waiter poured over it just made the nastiness even more evident. We were shocked this made it out of the kitchen, let alone onto our table! We were asked if everything was ok with our meal (steak not eaten), 🤢🤢. Totally disappointing and made us real leery of all our meals. Anyone else experience this?

IMO Carnival does not do beef very well at all in the MDR. And I would say their prime rib in particular. Your experience does not surprise me.

I don’t consider hamburger “beef”.

OTOH, the Salmon on the Breeze is exceptional. I ordered it on four nights during our last cruise.

How does one char a piece of beef that is roasted in a slow oven?
Charred first in a skillet or grill pan to "mark" then put in the oven to cook. Most restaurants do this

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Charred first in a skillet or grill pan to "mark" then put in the oven to cook. Most restaurants do this

No, you can you do that with a steak. Prime rib as served on the ships is roast of beef, not a steak. The roasts average 18-20 pounds in commercial kitchens before cooking. That must be some skillet.

From " Food Literacy " online: " It’s also very easy to cook. You just start it in the oven at a high temperature to get good browning on the outside of the roast, and then cook it at a lower temperature to make sure the meat in the center doesn’t get over cooked."

Edited by sanmarcosman

No, can you do that with a steak. Prime rib as served on the ships is roast of beef, not a steak. The roasts average 18-20 pounds in commercial kitchens before cooking. That must be some skillet.

From " Food Literacy " online: " It’s also very easy to cook. You just start it in the oven at a high temperature to get good browning on the outside of the roast, and then cook it at a lower temperature to make sure the meat in the center doesn’t get over cooked."

My bad, assumed they were referring to a steak. For prime rib yes you would start in in a very hot oven with some seasoning to get crust then lower the temp to cook.

Hell, I'll say it, I don't trust complaining about needing something to go back (even if said nicely). I worked at restaurants. I don't trust what they would do to my food because I opened my mouth.

Absolute crap, I own a restaurant, if you worked in a restaurant and saw a cook mishandling food, it would not be tolerated. This is an old wives tale, no reputable restaurant mishandles food, your financial life depends on your restaurants quality.

"I don’t consider hamburger “beef”."

a hamburger is ground beef

A Prime Rib is a standing rib roast, not a roast beef.

The kitchen does not need to recook anything, everything is pre cooked and sliced, they just grab another piece of Prime Rib

As others have noted, prime rib is an enormous standing rib roast that is cooked and THEN sliced to serve. It's not infused with marinade or rubbed with spice and then seared, as a steak that is cooked to order might be.

In my experience on Carnival, the prime rib in the dining room it is available "medium rare" or "medium well". Medium well always looks gray, and I agree, IMO it looks gross and unappetizing. Nothing unsafe about it, though.

On the other hand... I order medium rare, and cruise after cruise it is almost always too much on the rare side for me to enjoy. I'll probably skip it next time, too.

So your point is: It is beef. It is a roast. It is not roast beef. Do I have that right?

Just curious where you stand on Yorkshire pudding?

As long as its light & fluffy and preferably the size of a plate!

Just off the Inspiration and was served gray colored Prime Rib on formal night, no where near the “medium” we both requested. The au jus gravy the waiter poured over it just made the nastiness even more evident. We were shocked this made it out of the kitchen, let alone onto our table! We were asked if everything was ok with our meal (steak not eaten), . Totally disappointing and made us real leery of all our meals. Anyone else experience this?

WOW! My MIL has a new job cooking in the kitchen on Inspiration! :halo:

• 2 months later...
Cooking a prime rib to the point there is no pink just defeats the purpose of having it in the first place. It would ruin the flavor and texture. Better to order a hamburger or flat iron steak.

If the OP wanted it less well done, he could have simply sent it back and requested another one. No need to make a big fuss over it.

Never made a fuss. Didn’t want to request another one and have the same issue. Just advised I didn’t care for it. This was a first, and I have ordered prime rib in many restaurants and cruise lines.