Gray Prime Rib On Inspiration 🤢

wizfourfam

Just off the Inspiration and was served gray colored Prime Rib on formal night, no where near the “medium” we both requested. The au jus gravy the waiter poured over it just made the nastiness even more evident. We were shocked this made it out of the kitchen, let alone onto our table! We were asked if everything was ok with our meal (steak not eaten), 🤢🤢. Totally disappointing and made us real leery of all our meals. Anyone else experience this?

I understand the overcooked beef wasn't what you expected, but:

I don't like overcooked prime rib or steak, usually do mine rare to medium rare, but there are people that do; my mother-in-law, for example, will take a steak (make sure it is thin), grill it well done or beyond, and then microwave it for a minute just to be sure. If there is even the merest hint of pink anywhere, she will refuse to eat it.

So well-cooked meat isn't "bad" or "nasty", just not to your taste. It is too bad the servers didn't immediately refuse it and ask for a pinker slice for you when they picked it up - so really, this is on them. You should have sent it back and asked for another serving or a different entree.

And if anyone has ever tried to cook prime rib (in a manner that would satisfy the health inspectors), you will always get well-done slices. And some folks like those slices.

Just off the Inspiration and was served gray colored Prime Rib on formal night, no where near the “medium” we both requested. The au jus gravy the waiter poured over it just made the nastiness even more evident. We were shocked this made it out of the kitchen, let alone onto our table! We were asked if everything was ok with our meal (steak not eaten), 🤢🤢. Totally disappointing and made us real leery of all our meals. Anyone else experience this?

Is there a reason that you didn't tell your server that you wanted new Prime Ribs because these were not to your liking?

Just off this weekend’s Inspiration cruise and thought the food had improved from last year. Though no one at our table ordered the Prime rib. The scallops were very good.

Why didn’t you send back the ‘nastiness’? Our table mates had a problem with their chicken on the last night and it was replaced without a problem.

Gray is the new pink. Yum!!

So well-cooked meat isn't "bad" or "nasty", just not to your taste. .

Thank you for saying that! I'm one of those people who like my meat well done also and I always receive crap about it. It really is just a personal preference, for me it's the texture of the meat when it's not well done that i don't like. Granted if there is still a very slight bit of pink in the center, I will still eat it.

If the meat is grey, it's likely been "steamed" which means it spent too long under that plastic cover they use. I would have sent it back, doesn't take them long to pull another one off the line

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

If the meat is grey, it's likely been "steamed" which means it spent too long under that plastic cover they use. I would have sent it back, doesn't take them long to pull another one off the line

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

If one is steamed, they all are!

Is there a reason that you didn't tell your server that you wanted new Prime Ribs because these were not to your liking?

Server knew we both requested medium. Meat was a light gray with no hint of pink or char. Can’t even call it well done. Just turned our stomachs kwim? New prime rib was def out of question.

Thank you for saying that! I'm one of those people who like my meat well done also and I always receive crap about it. It really is just a personal preference, for me it's the texture of the meat when it's not well done that i don't like. Granted if there is still a very slight bit of pink in the center, I will still eat it.

So you routinely get light gray prime rib when it is well done? I am used to some level of pinkness.

I understand the overcooked beef wasn't what you expected, but:

I don't like overcooked prime rib or steak, usually do mine rare to medium rare, but there are people that do; my mother-in-law, for example, will take a steak (make sure it is thin), grill it well done or beyond, and then microwave it for a minute just to be sure. If there is even the merest hint of pink anywhere, she will refuse to eat it.

So well-cooked meat isn't "bad" or "nasty", just not to your taste. It is too bad the servers didn't immediately refuse it and ask for a pinker slice for you when they picked it up - so really, this is on them. You should have sent it back and asked for another serving or a different entree.

And if anyone has ever tried to cook prime rib (in a manner that would satisfy the health inspectors), you will always get well-done slices. And some folks like those slices.

Hmmm. I just don’t equate well cooked prime rib as being light gray in color. Stark contrast to the au jus served over it. I have ordered it med well and got more well done in the past. This was different!

Hmmm. I just don’t equate well cooked prime rib as being light gray in color. Stark contrast to the au jus served over it. I have ordered it med well and got more well done in the past. This was different!

Yep, well-done prime rib is gray. A well done steak is gray, except for the charring on the outside. That's just the color that meat turns when you cook it past "pink".

Well done prime rib is gray....it is a roast and not a steak that that gets a dark crust due to direct grilling. A simple request for a different cut would have solved this entire incident at the meal service.

I remember one of our party ordered the Flat iron steak one year. This steak was so tough, he couldn't even get a knife through it, let alone his teeth. He was willing to just let it go ....I said....that's crazy....order another entree...he thought it would take too long, etc. but he did order another entree and it was there very quickly. Never settle...they are very good about replacing your entree if it's wrong or you don't like it.

I ordered my filet mignon rare at brunch last month on the Paradise and I also got what I would call very well done delivered to the table. I wonder if they are directed not to serve rare, but what was done to this meat was a crime.

I ordered my filet mignon rare at brunch last month on the Paradise and I also got what I would call very well done delivered to the table. I wonder if they are directed not to serve rare, but what was done to this meat was a crime.

We got our steaks etc served rare or medium rare, as requested, on our cruise in Dec on Liberty.

You just got unlucky with someone who wasn't paying attention to the meat as it cooked, or you got the well done steak ordered by someone else (and maybe they got your rare!)

Just like at a land-based restaurant, send it back - especially if you want rare, should only take 5 min to prep!

No you can order rare. I do it every time. Yours must have gotten mixed up.

Why? :confused:

Based on OP's responses so far, because the OP was unaware of the appearance of "well done" Prime Rib, and was simply turned off the whole idea once it was served as such.

Hopefully OP will have a different reaction next time, and simply ask for a serving prepared as requested (i.e. medium-rare or whatever).

Based on OP's responses so far, because the OP was unaware of the appearance of "well done" Prime Rib, and was simply turned off the whole idea once it was served as such.

Hopefully OP will have a different reaction next time, and simply ask for a serving prepared as requested (i.e. medium-rare or whatever).

Meat had appearance of being microwaved or ? Our itinerary was changed, sea day went from last day to first day out. Might have been scrambling to get prime rib ready. Won’t be ordering any time soon after this experience

Meat had appearance of being microwaved or ? Our itinerary was changed, sea day went from last day to first day out. Might have been scrambling to get prime rib ready. Won’t be ordering any time soon after this experience

What was your sail date?

• 3 weeks later...