SFO to Port of San Francisco

lrockwitt

I certainly wouldn't take BART, INMO. That is a commute system and no place to put your bags except next to you, and the pax around you wouldn't appreciate that. Your best bet would be a shuttle/private car service or a taxi.

I've used BART on two different occasions to get to the cruise ships. If you get on the train after 9:30-10:00 am, you shouldn't have a problem with the commuters. Pier 27 was close enough for us to wheel the bags. It took about 20-30 minutes. There's also pedi-cabs. It was $20.00 from Pier 1 to Pier 27.

BART is the cheapest short of walking. When You get off at the Embarcadero stop, come up and walk a little over a block and take the street car "F" line. That will involve a little lifting of luggage but manageable. Please ask the driver to announce your stop; they are not always good about that if not asked,;)

BART is the cheapest short of walking. When You get off at the Embarcadero stop, come up and walk a little over a block and take the street car "F" line. That will involve a little lifting of luggage but manageable. Please ask the driver to announce your stop; they are not always good about that if not asked,;)

I've done the BART thing more than once. If you have only carry-on type luggage, it's not too much of a chore.

You asked about the least expensive. If you take BART from SFo to the Embarcadero the fare is $8.65 each. There are Senior and child fares but require a special ticket, which I do not believe are available at SFO. The Street Car is $2.25 each and it does allow for purchase of SR./ Child etc. fares of $.75

I have never taken any other form of transport but depending on the number of folks (3/4) the taxi might start to get closer in price with less hassle?

I certainly wouldn't take BART, INMO. That is a commute system and no place to put your bags except next to you, and the pax around you wouldn't appreciate that. Your best bet would be a shuttle/private car service or a taxi.

BART serves two airports. Were they not planning on carrying pax with bags? Of course they are!

BART works fine for people with luggage as long as you can avoid the passenger-heavy rush hour time. BART begins at the airport so you would have no difficulty getting on. There are elevators (hopefully working) and escalators to get you to street level. Getting off (A MUST) at The Embarcadero exit, there is also the option of walking one mile to Pier 27. Of course, it all depends on the size of your luggage and your general physical health.

Edited by iceleven

Taking the BART from SFO to the Embarcadero Station is one of the easiest and most convenient ways to get to the port. The walk from the BART station to the ship is 15 minutes max and super easy.

Every car on the train has an open area which you can pull your luggage and there are seats right by where you can sit or you can stand.

Getting into the city with a cab is very expensive and the BART is an easy straight shot from SFO.

Once you get to the Embarcadero Station, walk up to the street level and you will see the Ferry Building. Go left and you will see the ship down the way and you can walk. Super easy!!

If you are a huge packer and need help with you luggage, discount the above. If you can handle your luggage and walk for 15 minutes, it will save you about $50 each way!

Happy Cruising:D:D

Another option using BART. As others have said get off at the Embarcadero station. Use the escalators at the front of the station, nearest the first BART car. When you exit, if you use the escalators, use the ones to your left and you'll be on Market Street. Across the street is the Hyatt Regency where you could get a taxi to the pier.

Since I live in San Francisco I have used BART many times to and from SFO. Any other questions please ask.

Tom:D

If BART won't work for you Super Shuttle might be a good fit for you

I'd go with SuperShuttle unless there are more than two of you.

The fare is reasonable and you do not have to walk a half mile or more with your luggage.

It is a little over 1 mile (depending on your route) to walk from the Embarcadero BART station to pier 27 -- I little further to pier 35. As someone mentioned, you can take BART followed by a cab if luggage is an issue. The cab ride is about $10 - $13 dollars once at BART.

If you get on the train at SFO - you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the front seats so you can hold your luggage right in front of you. The sideways seats near the doors are handicapped seating but you are welcome to use them if nobody else needs them. I wouldn't sit there with luggage just in case you need to move, though.

It is a minor hassle with luggage but doable if you are able bodied. They do have elevators in the BART stations, although have run across the one at the Oakland Coliseum that was broken once. That was a chore as we had a lot of luggage at the time.

Correction: Senior and disabled tickets ARE available at the information desks throughout SFO. Just happened to look that up yesterday!:D;)

You asked about the least expensive. If you take BART from SFo to the Embarcadero the fare is $8.65 each. There are Senior and child fares but require a special ticket, which I do not believe are available at SFO. The Street Car is $2.25 each and it does allow for purchase of SR./ Child etc. fares of $.75

I have never taken any other form of transport but depending on the number of folks (3/4) the taxi might start to get closer in price with less hassle?

Super Shuttle, they are fast and reliable. Walking from BART to the ship is a bit of a hassle. You're dodging people on bicycles who ride their bikes on the sidewalk, joggers, homeless sleeping on the sidewalk, and people walking their dogs and you're dodging all of them.

I think the F train would be the last thing I would take with luggage. My DW and I usually walk from the Embarcadero station, I'm 65 and not in great condition. It's actually a fun walk. The only time we go to SF is to go to the port, so we have a lot experience. We're on the Grand in November, and it will cost us half to park at the Dublin station what it would cost in SF.

As someone who lives three blocks from a BART station in San Francisco, I use BART all the time to get to and from SFO…usually with plenty of luggage. As someone has said, outside of commuter hours, there's always room to stow luggage. (I wouldn't board with luggage downtown 9:00 am on a weekday, but the trains start at the airport and at that point they're never jammed.) And all the BART stations have elevators (most of them actually functional). It's more of a hassle to self-disembark off the ship. (Tip, though: make sure your spinner luggage is lying down; it'll want to escape.)

While the pier is something of a walk (20 minutes, according to Google maps, though that's without luggage), given the speed with which BART runs and the frequent traffic mess on the Embarcadero, I'm not sure a Super Shuttle would get me from SFO to the pier any faster, and it costs 5 times (with tip) what BART's senior fare costs.

Assuming you have no problem hauling luggage, can walk for 20 minutes, and it's not raining, BART is utterly doable. And, to my way of thinking, the ride is more comfortable than being jammed into a shuttle.

Edited by shepp

Correction: Senior and disabled tickets ARE available at the information desks throughout SFO. Just happened to look that up yesterday!:D;)

Thanks for the correction-What has happened to me at SFO was I got to BART and found they do not sell tickets at the stop. Information desks IN THE AIRPORT do seem to be familiar but I forget to get the ticket until I get to the BART stop.

How much is the super shuttle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used Super shuttle in Jan 2015 from SFO to our hotel at Fishermans Wharf and we paid $17 each, so I would think it would about the same to Pier 27.

Go to their site and you can get a quote.

We used Super shuttle in Jan 2015 from SFO to our hotel at Fishermans Wharf and we paid $17 each, so I would think it would about the same to Pier 27.

Go to their site and you can get a quote.

I have reserved Super Shuttle for my cruise the end of March. If you reserve online, even though it isn't necessary, I believe you do get a slight price reduction. It is $17 pp. The vans now only carry 7 people instead of the original 9 so won't be overcrowded.

Pooh