Key West

pearose

I think your source was the local newspaper, which was probably reliable, but got updated late today to match the current state of relief efforts. It sounds from the latest info in the link that there are absolutely places with some damage, and Old Town was hit worse than New Town. It also does seem to be the case that all of those services you mention are still out, but at least some supplies are coming in.

I didn't intend to minimize the current situation, which has to be extremely uncomfortable in so many ways, and I definitely feel terrible for those with significant damage. I'm fessing up that I've been obsessed with Irma's destruction starting with the Virgin Islands, and seen pix of so many destroyed buildings, including recent footage on TV of totally destroyed trailers in the upper Keys, so a standing structure seems like a good thing in comparison to that.

(Not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread, but my parents lived in Marathon a long time and I have a (distant) uncle and cousin in Big Pine my mother hasn't heard from. So I'm ... probably reacting on that level, sorry.)

(Not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread, but my parents lived in Marathon a long time and I have a (distant) uncle and cousin in Big Pine my mother hasn't heard from. So I'm ... probably reacting on that level, sorry.)

Oh gee, wishing the best for your relatives!

This came to rest on the small beach at the Pier House --->

359_1505398971029-M.jpg

The small caption reads "dock is on the roof" which I think refers to the float that is usually chained to the bottom just off the beach. It the waves lifted sea side end of the float the wind might have grabbed it and sent it flying. Its on the right.

Pjk