Care-Giver CompanionFare

oldguysandgalls

When I accompany my friend on his/her cruise as primary care-giver, I often wonder if the cruise industry would consider introducing a "Care-Giver" fare?

Many airlines already have a special fare for Care-Givers when accompanying a special needs passenger. (documentation/verification by a physician required)

While on board ship as primary care-giver I look after his/her needs 24/7 with little or no special demands of the crew.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

Cabins are sold double occupancy no matter the age or function of the second person. You are not performing a function that the cruise line would ordinarily do. In fact, they require any passenger that requires assistance to bring their own. Why should you get a discount? This has been addressed here before, I think by someone who thought their ASL interpreter should come free. EM

Thank you Essiesmom, for your candid response. I appreciate your time.

However, if I may, it is not a question of "why" Care-Givers should get a discount the question is - 'why not' -?

A Care-Giver discount enables the Care-Giver to accompany his/her charge on their vacation whether it's an airline flight from A to B, and/or a cruise, and/or a holiday resort which would be impossible without their Care-Giver at their side 24/7.

A Primary Care-Giver is a 24/7 Care-Giver whether at home or at sea and by extension, he or she is of vital importance to the well being of his/her charge to partake in 'enjoying life' ; a life that's is already severely limited due to their disabilities.

FYI: Airlines also require any passengers that requires assistance to bring their own and as such many airlines offer a generous discounted Care-Giver companion airfare.

With kind regards,

Sincerely,

Oldguysandgalls

This would be a huge can of worms. Just think about how many people have bogus online certifications saying that their pet is an "Emotional Support" or service animal when it clearly is not. People would be trying to pass their friends and family off as primary care givers all the time.

When you think about it, they DO get a discount. Since cabins are based on double occupancy, if the person they are caring for did not have a companion, they would pay the same rate with or without the care giver. If they do have a companion, the 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin are deeply discounted.

Thank you Essiesmom, for your candid response. I appreciate your time.

However, if I may, it is not a question of "why" Care-Givers should get a discount the question is - 'why not' -?

A Care-Giver discount enables the Care-Giver to accompany his/her charge on their vacation whether it's an airline flight from A to B, and/or a cruise, and/or a holiday resort which would be impossible without their Care-Giver at their side 24/7.

A Primary Care-Giver is a 24/7 Care-Giver whether at home or at sea and by extension, he or she is of vital importance to the well being of his/her charge to partake in 'enjoying life' ; a life that's is already severely limited due to their disabilities.

FYI: Airlines also require any passengers that requires assistance to bring their own and as such many airlines offer a generous discounted Care-Giver companion airfare.

With kind regards,

Sincerely,

Oldguysandgalls

Why not? Ripe for abuse just like handicapped parking permits, questionable "service" animals, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not? Ripe for abuse just like handicapped parking permits, questionable "service" animals, etc.

Plus 1. The service animal abuse is disgraceful

And who is going to verify that the doctor’s note is really from a doctor?

Cabins are sold double occupancy no matter the age or function of the second person. You are not performing a function that the cruise line would ordinarily do. In fact, they require any passenger that requires assistance to bring their own. Why should you get a discount? This has been addressed here before, I think by someone who thought their ASL interpreter should come free. EM

I agree with OP this would be a great added benifit if the cruise lines would consider it and open doors for more people to travel. Also, the care-giver might not necessarily be the person the client would have chosen as a travel partner. Usually people travel with a spouse, family member, or friend. So it's not "saving money" as he/she likely were not planning to pay for solo occupancy.

Side note: this was not OP's point but brought up in the comments. Many cruse lines (not all) do now provide ASL interpreters for their deaf clients. The team of interpreters not only "sail for free" but are also paid to be there. Typically this only applies to itineraries that start or end at a US port.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for your input and ''thank you'' SJSchell for your support.

Yes, abuse does happen and that's why stringent procedures must be in place. A simple Doctor's note will not suffice.

For example:

Airlines that offer Care-Giver Companion Fare demand a detailed and verifiable medical report identifying the level of the disability; i.e. mobility, feeding, communication, seating, personal hygiene ability, etc. and which is submitted in advance to the airline for their review and approval.

While I'm not hopeful that changes will happen any time soon, I am respectfully urging the cruise line industry to take a page from the airline industry in implementing the same stringent procedures in allowing disabled passengers to travel with their Care-Giver and/or support person by offering a reduced (not free) fare for their Care-Giver.

It would make a world of difference for the disabled especially when their world is already limited.

Thank you all again for your input and support.

This ^^^

(unless someone is getting one of the few single cabins, and expects the "caregiver" to get his/her own single free!)

Since one person is charged the same as two anyway (except for a few modest costs other than the cruise costs itself), the "second person" in a way always goes just about "free", whether it is a spouse, child, friend, or someone met online :eek:

And if the caregiver is a third in the cabin, there are times when some cruise lines offer "almost free" fare for third+ pax, except for required port costs, etc.

We sure hope we'll continue to travel if we ever need "help", and we are keeping that in mind in terms of costs.

We sort of figure, we'll travel less, so we'll use the money from trips "not taken" to pay for someone to assist us.

It never occurred to us that we even might ask if the assistant could go for "less", other than as a third passenger, etc.

GC

When I accompany my friend on his/her cruise as primary care-giver, I often wonder if the cruise industry would consider introducing a "Care-Giver" fare?

Many airlines already have a special fare for Care-Givers when accompanying a special needs passenger. (documentation/verification by a physician required)

While on board ship as primary care-giver I look after his/her needs 24/7 with little or no special demands of the crew.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

All cruise lines have a "Fit to Travel" clause in its cruise contract which simply put states that if an individual is not able to take care of his/his daily needs than said individual must have a care attendant traveling with them for that purpose. Therefore I find it very interesting that you state that "I look after his/her needs 24/7 with little or no special demands of the crew. "Under the Fit to Travel clause, barring a medical and or safety emergency as well as the services that the staff provides daily to all its passengers as part of the cruise contract, the crew does not have to provide any further assistance as a result of the special needs of the individual. That responsibility defaults to you as the traveling care attendant. In addition to the fact that the cabins are priced at a double occupancy rate, though you look after his/her needs 24/7 for which you're the care attendant , the cruise staff is still looking after you 24/7 such as but not limited to :

• providing house keeping services for your room (i.e cleaning, fresh towels, bed service etc.)
  • Main theater shows nightly lounges featuring live music and entertainment
  • providing meals for you via a variety of dining options for breakfast, brunch, lunch, a, dinner and late night in the Main Dining Room and/or Lido Restaurant.
  • beverages that are included free such a non-bottled water, lemonade, ice tea , non specialty coffee , juices from concentrate at breakfast and hot chocolate.
  • As well as other services provided daily throughout the ship for the comfort and enjoyment of "all" passengers

Though you may not be partaking in some of the features and services offered during the cruise the same applies to all passengers and does not constitute a reason that the cruise lines should provide care attendant companion fares. All cruise lines offer promotional fares through out the year. Therefore the individual having to pay for an care attendant has options to fit into his/her budgets.

IMPO requesting that the cruise lines provide Care Companion Fares further demonstrates how some people think that having a disability is a sense of entitlement.

Edited by xxoocruiser

[

Thank you all for your input and ''thank you'' SJSchell for your support.

Yes, abuse does happen and that's why stringent procedures must be in place. A simple Doctor's note will not suffice.

For example:

Airlines that offer Care-Giver Companion Fare demand a detailed and verifiable medical report identifying the level of the disability; i.e. mobility, feeding, communication, seating, personal hygiene ability, etc. and which is submitted in advance to the airline for their review and approval.

While I'm not hopeful that changes will happen any time soon, I am respectfully urging the cruise line industry to take a page from the airline industry in implementing the same stringent procedures in allowing disabled passengers to travel with their Care-Giver and/or support person by offering a reduced (not free) fare for their Care-Giver.

It would make a world of difference for the disabled especially when their world is already limited.

Thank you all again for your input and support.

What airlines offer such fares ?

I find it hard to believe that any USA airline would "demand a detailed and verifiable medical report identifying the level of the disability; i.e. mobility, feeding, communication, seating, personal hygiene ability, etc. " as such a demand appears to violate USA Federal Privacy Laws.

Northwest Airlines , that's no longer in existence, did at one time offer such a companion fare. WestJet for inter-Canada flights only offers such fares and requests a form such as you have stated to be submitted for approval but its not subject to USA Federal Privacy Laws.

Edited by xxoocruiser

[

What airlines offer such fares ?

I find it hard to believe that any USA airline would "demand a detailed and verifiable medical report identifying the level of the disability; i.e. mobility, feeding, communication, seating, personal hygiene ability, etc. " as such a demand appears to violate USA Federal Privacy Laws.

Northwest Airlines , that's no longer in existence, did at one time offer such a companion fare. WestJet for inter-Canada flights only offers such fares and requests a form such as you have stated to be submitted for approval but its not subject to USA Federal Privacy Laws.

To xxoocruiser:

This is not about "sense of entitlement".

Care-Givers make a world of difference for those who are mobility challenged and every Care-Giver is committed to look after those who need help in making their lives as full as possible.

You asked about other airlines?

Apparently Air Canada has a special fare structure in place for care-givers travelling when traveling with a Special Needs Passengers.( on flights in Canada only so I understand.)

After submission, review and approval of a mandatory medical form to Air Canada, a friend of ours in British Columbia who suffers from advanced multiple sclerosis qualified for the Special Needs Program and his wife (care-giver) now accompanies him under the 'Air Canada Customers with Special Needs Program'

Hence my question regarding Special Needs Fare for Care-Giver travel companions on board ships.

Again, this is not about "sense of entitlement" but about trying to make life a little bit better for those who depend on us and others.

Thank you.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

To xxoocruiser:

This is not about "sense of entitlement".

Care-Givers make a world of difference for those who are mobility challenged and every Care-Giver is committed to look after those who need help in making their lives as full as possible.

You asked about other airlines?

Apparently Air Canada has a special fare structure in place for care-givers travelling when traveling with a Special Needs Passengers.( on flights in Canada only so I understand.)

After submission, review and approval of a mandatory medical form to Air Canada, a friend of ours in British Columbia who suffers from advanced multiple sclerosis qualified for the Special Needs Program and his wife (care-giver) now accompanies him under the 'Air Canada Customers with Special Needs Program'

Hence my question regarding Special Needs Fare for Care-Giver travel companions on board ships.

Again, this is not about "sense of entitlement" but about trying to make life a little bit better for those who depend on us and others.

Thank you.

With all the airlines worldwide you only site Air Canada in addition to my stating WestJet which is also a Canadian airline. Apparently "Special Needs Programs " for companion fare reductions is not a world wide industry standard . Yet you want it to be a cruise line industry standard ?

Agree with you that care givers can make a difference in one's quality of life but that's not a reason to expect cruise lines to provide companion fares. Though you apparently disagree ,expecting the cruise industry to provide such a fare is a sense of entitlement. For the record I am disabled due to the affects of Multiple Sclerosis so I'm not being insensitive to the subject.

It appears that Canada may not have the same or similar privacy laws in place as does the USA. I for one would never disclose such information "demanded" by an airline. cruise line or other business for the sake of getting a fare reduction for a care companion.

You state "Again, this is not about "sense of entitlement" but about trying to make life a little bit better for those who depend on us and others." . So tell me how is making life a little bit better for those who depend on care givers not accomplished by the individual shopping around to get the best fare that fits his/hers budget despite the fact that cruise lines do not offer care support companions fares ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

Just an FYI:

In Toronto Canada, Public Transit System mobility challenged wheelchair customers, pay full fare when travelling with an attendant (Care-Giver) and their attendant (Care-Giver) travels for free.

If a mobility challenged customer cannot use the Public Transportation System, there's a separate Public Transportation Unit whereby both the mobility challenged customer and his/her Care-Giver are picked up from their home and dropped off at their destination and returned home. Again, one fare for the disabled customer and no fare for the Care-Giver attendant. (upon submission and approval of a medical report)

In closing, many industries are adapting to the needs of a growing, aging and mobility challenged population and it's my fervent hope the cruise line industries are recognising that they too need to adapt accordingly.

Thank you.

With all the airlines worldwide you only site Air Canada in addition to my stating WestJet which is also a Canadian airline. Apparently "Special Needs Programs " for companion fare reductions is not a world wide industry standard . Yet you want it to be a cruise line industry standard ?

Agree with you that care givers can make a difference in one's quality of life but that's not a reason to expect cruise lines to provide companion fares. Though you apparently disagree ,expecting the cruise industry to provide such a fare is a sense of entitlement. For the record I am disabled due to the affects of Multiple Sclerosis so I'm not being insensitive to the subject.

It appears that Canada may not have the same or similar privacy laws in place as does the USA. I for one would never disclose such information "demanded" by an airline. cruise line or other business for the sake of getting a fare reduction for a care companion.

You state "Again, this is not about "sense of entitlement" but about trying to make life a little bit better for those who depend on us and others." . So tell me how is making life a little bit better for those who depend on care givers not accomplished by the individual shopping around to get the best fare that fits his/hers budget despite the fact that cruise lines do not offer care support companions fares ?

xxoocruiser:

Clearly, we both are spinning our wheels here (no pun intended) but at this point let's just agree to disagree. I always enjoy your input on the various forums and I'd like to keep it that way.

Stay well my friend.

With my kindest regards.

(non entitled yours) ;)

Just an FYI:

In Toronto Canada, Public Transit System mobility challenged wheelchair customers, pay full fare when travelling with an attendant (Care-Giver) and their attendant (Care-Giver) travels for free.

If a mobility challenged customer cannot use the Public Transportation System, there's a separate Public Transportation Unit whereby both the mobility challenged customer and his/her Care-Giver are picked up from their home and dropped off at their destination and returned home. Again, one fare for the disabled customer and no fare for the Care-Giver attendant. (upon submission and approval of a medical report)

In closing, many industries are adapting to the needs of a growing, aging and mobility challenged population and it's my fervent hope the cruise line industries are recognising that they too need to adapt accordingly.

Thank you.

Public transportation. regardless of the country , is operated by governmental agencies and receive funding from taxes as well as other governmental subsidies . Cruise lines are not therefore your comparison has no merit .

xxoocruiser,

Clearly, we both are spinning our wheels here (no pun intended) but at this point let's just agree to disagree. I always enjoy your input on the various forums and I'd like to keep it that way.

Stay well my friend.

With my kindest regards.

(non entitled yours) clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

xxoocruiser,

Stay well my friend.

With my kindest regards.

(non entitled yours) clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

You also stay well.

(Also non-entitled ) :)