Big Mike's Guide - Should You Rent a Scooter in Bermuda

hamlettm

• 1 year later...

Just been reading the entire thread and finding it most helpful. We are going to be in Hamilton form 8am -3.30pm in January. If we rent 1 scooter (my DH is experienced), can anyone suggest a good route for us to visit some places? We don't want to rush but want to see as much as we can. Any ideas would be appreciated for the limited time we have.

First off, study your map. Option 1 -- Take Marsh Folly Rd up to the North Shore road along the coast. Stop in quaint Flatts Village, see the Aquarium and Zoo (awesome), stop at famous Swizzle Inn for food/ drink. Continue North Shore Rd over causeway to Kinley Field Rd toward St George. The vistas along the coast into St George are amazing (you might be able to just drop the scooter there -- the rentals have point B drop-offs -- and taxi or bus back to Hamilton). Option 2 - take scooter with you onto the Hamilton ferry (it will cost the fare of an additional person in tokens) over to Kings Wharf and explore the tourist shops and south parishes (Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is a cool climb and view). Then, Either scooter back to Hamilton or take the ferry back. It's not a lot of time to see much except the landscape and neighborhoods. If you are travelling midweek, be mindful of noon and 3pm rush hour traffic times on the main corridors. See my previous post. Last time we had a "little" mishap, but I would do it again. With more time, you can see a lot and find some of the more quieter beaches and parks. I would recommend a high-quality bike, too (a Vespa, eg rather than the standard ones aimed at tourist sales). Here's a blog example of one couple's One Day excursion: https://www.alexinwanderland.com/2015/06/10/bermuda-by-scooter/

• 5 months later...

Don’t do it, that’s my advice. My husband and I rented one a few years ago. He is an experienced rider, 30+ years. It was a blast and very freeing to go all around the island, but one little patch of sand and our scooter tipped. A very sharp edge on the pavement ripped my husband’s elbow to the bone. We both had “Bermuda tattoos” (bleeding wounds) on our knees, wrists and elbows, bruises everywhere and we were about 5 miles from the ship. We, with the assistance of a very nice dive instructor who just happened to be driving by, patched ourselves up and got back to the ship on the cycle. The medical bay on the ship is very nice, and the wonderful ship’s physician expertly did 60 internal and external stitches to patch my DH up. We luckily were reimbursed for the $500 medical bill by our insurance once we got home, and we spent the rest of our vacation changing dressings and licking our wounds in the cafe. We met several other couples on the ship who also wrecked their scooters and, like us, luckily escaped with only a few stitches. The dive instructor told us he had witnessed many wrecks like ours, two included a fatality. That was enough for us - we are now scoter-free. If you do ignore this cautionary tale, God bless and good luck. I hope you don’t die or watch your loved one die or need lots of stitches. Buy a bag of white knee socks before you go. If you cut the toe off, they are about the only way to hold bandages on your knees and elbows while you sleep or go about your day. Sorry to be blunt, but you should know the other side of the coin.

Just been reading the entire thread and finding it most helpful. We are going to be in Hamilton form 8am -3.30pm in January. If we rent 1 scooter (my DH is experienced), can anyone suggest a good route for us to visit some places? We don't want to rush but want to see as much as we can. Any ideas would be appreciated for the limited time we have.

It doesn’t really matter about experience. The rental scooters are very underpowered and they are governed to 23 miles per hour which is the speed limit. That’s all well and good except for the cars, buses, and locals scooters aren’t- and the limit isn’t always obeyed by them. They can zip around and in and out- but you’re stuck putt putting along. It is as dangerous as others have said but also consider logistics.

Having 2 adults on one you could literally walk faster. Try a Twizy (not governed) or taxi if you actually want to cover some ground.

Hello again:

I have commented previously in this thread. I have never had an issue riding scooter over many days in BDA, but I do understand the high risk.

Having a higher powered scooter may not be good idea for lower experienced riders. Just stay left and let the locals pass.

We "scootered" Bonaire last week and it was wonderful. The interesting part: When we arrived at the rental shop 4 women were returning their scooters stating that they were too difficult to ride.

The rental agent asked each rider. "Have you ever driven a scooter previously"?

Each replied "not really". I enjoyed the agents response:

"Do you think it is a good idea to learn how ride a scooter on an island country 1000 miles from home"? The medevac hospital is in Columbia.

Think about this before you rent scooters, jump off cliffs, or do anything else "risky".

"Do you think it is a good idea to learn how ride a scooter on an island country 1000 miles from home"? The medevac hospital is in Columbia.

Think about this before you rent scooters, jump off cliffs, or do anything else "risky".

Good advice. Jumping off cliffs or rocks, I saw a man break has neck jumping off the rocks at Horseshoe, EMS did come fast and they do know what they are doing in Bermuda, they can take care of people there, but still why ruin a vacation and be injured or die a 1000 miles from home doing something risky like that.