Travel scooter

DelawareTom

Interesting info, thanks for the links. Do you happen to know anyone who has used the Cruise Kit? That shopping cart and tray look really handy, and I'm wondering if it would work with my folding scooter (Triaxe Sport).

I'm not sure their door widths are correct. My understanding is that the most common door width is only 22" and 2" of that is unusable as the doors swing in.

Also interesting that on the airlines page, they keep harping on the TravelScoot being "approved." Approved by whom? I've read the lithium battery regs (written in heavy-handed governmentese) and there is no provision for approval of scooter or battery by any government agency. There is a "verification of compliance" by a Taiwanese "testing center" but I have no idea whether that would impress a U.S. inspector or airline.

However, I think their advice to notify the airline ahead of time that you are travelling with a scooter is a good one. I've seen that advice elsewhere on this board and I followed it for my flights last month. I was prepared to remove my lithium battery if the airline requested it (on my foldable Triaxe Sport it only takes unplugging the cord and then pulling the battery out) but I guess they figured removing the key was adequate, they didn't make me remove the battery on either flight.

Interesting info, thanks for the links. Do you happen to know anyone who has used the Cruise Kit? That shopping cart and tray look really handy, and I'm wondering if it would work with my folding scooter (Triaxe Sport).

I'm not sure their door widths are correct. My understanding is that the most common door width is only 22" and 2" of that is unusable as the doors swing in.

Also interesting that on the airlines page, they keep harping on the TravelScoot being "approved." Approved by whom? I've read the lithium battery regs (written in heavy-handed governmentese) and there is no provision for approval of scooter or battery by any government agency. There is a "verification of compliance" by a Taiwanese "testing center" but I have no idea whether that would impress a U.S. inspector or airline.

However, I think their advice to notify the airline ahead of time that you are travelling with a scooter is a good one. I've seen that advice elsewhere on this board and I followed it for my flights last month. I was prepared to remove my lithium battery if the airline requested it (on my foldable Triaxe Sport it only takes unplugging the cord and then pulling the battery out) but I guess they figured removing the key was adequate, they didn't make me remove the battery on either flight.

You can find pages of regulations about lithium batteries if you check the website for IATA. Lots of info there.

The Travelscoot does not have a key and I always have to remove the battery and bring it on the plane with me. I have travelled extensively and usually nobody even checks the Travelscoot and just puts the tag on it and lets me drive it up to the door of the plane.

Wendy

We have a smartscoot and travel extensively. Us airlines are not a problem. They allow the battery and you must notify the airlines in advance. There are many international airlines with a 160 watt limit making the scooter a hazardous item. Do your research before you book. Sometimes even the airline websites are inaccurate

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

One thing that is very important. I just purchased a Scout 4 wheel Scooter. I have Neuropathy in my hands and feet, I cannot take my scooter apart. It's never been out of my living room (2 days) and I'm going to try to return it. Please try to take yours apart before purchasing it!!!

I have the Travelscoot and don't have any problems with my hands or feet but I do find it challenging to take apart my scooter and put it back together. Getting the seat in position and some other parts are not that easy. My husband and I both struggle with it and he has no physical limitations so it would be advisable for anyone purchasing a scooter to try to assemble and disassemble before buying one to know what is involved.

Wendy

I haven't seen any posts on the Tzora scooter. My husband just bought his 2nd one because the first was getting old and he didn't want any problems while we were in a foreign country.

We like it because:

1. It is light 50 lbs. we can lift it into/out of the back of a hatchback when it is folded.

2. Comfortable with padded seat and armrests

3. Manuverable. The last on was a 4 wheel, but this time we bought a 3 wheel with balance wheels.

• 2 months later...

I have a Tzora folding light weight. Best deal I've ever made. 5 years old. Total cost of repairs, (defective fuse) $35.00. Supplied horn and light crappy. Purchased $350 battery, never use the two supplied. 3 wheels. Goes anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have ms and use a Luggie mobility scooter and love it. I used it 2 years ago for a river cruise. I was able to do every shore excursion and it was able to handle cobblestone. Great bonus it is only 55 lbs with battery.

So glad I returned the smaller battery. Saved about $900 and had the bigger battery that comes with the Travelscoot. They refunded me the full cost and are great to deal with (Vancouver office).

Wendy

Can you please explain about the smaller battery vs the bigger battery. How did getting a bigger battery save $900?

Thanks.

Can you please explain about the smaller battery vs the bigger battery. How did getting a bigger battery save $900?

Thanks.

I ordered the smaller battery to take on a trip that included China and was worried my larger battery would not be allowed. I think I paid about $900 for the 160 watt battery but it did not go far enough on a charge and I returned it - hence I saved $900.

I didn't have any problems when I boarded a flight in Hong Kong with the original larger lithium battery on my Travelscoot.

I ordered the smaller battery to take on a trip that included China and was worried my larger battery would not be allowed. I think I paid about $900 for the 160 watt battery but it did not go far enough on a charge and I returned it - hence I saved $900.

I didn't have any problems when I boarded a flight in Hong Kong with the original larger lithium battery on my Travelscoot.

China is not the problem. It’s the particular airline. You can fly in and out if china with the larger battery if you choose an airline that permits it

The Asian airlines do not for the most part. The domestic flights in China prohibit the larger battery. We are in china now sans smartscoot. My wife hired pusher and wheelchair for long distances and we are doing fine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone fly on Southwest lately, I use a travelscoot with the larger battery, still under 300 watts, I traveled last year no problem with a spare also under 300 watts. I had read that they no longer allow the spare battery?

I can get along with one, but I like the security of having a back up.

The website really does not say, and after 3 calls really not sure.

Anyone fly on Southwest lately, I use a travelscoot with the larger battery, still under 300 watts, I traveled last year no problem with a spare also under 300 watts. I had read that they no longer allow the spare battery?

I can get along with one, but I like the security of having a back up.

The website really does not say, and after 3 calls really not sure.

Suggest you call SW back and speak to a Resolutions Manager

Following copied from SW website:

Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) batteries

If a wheelchair/scooter is powered by a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery, Southwest must be able to access the battery to determine that it is approved for transportation. The Li-ion battery must show no signs of any defects or damage. The assistive device must be transported as checked baggage. If the Li-ion battery is securely attached and protected from short-circuit by being fully enclosed in the device’s battery housing, the battery may remain installed and there is no limit to battery size on these types of devices. If not securely attached, the battery must be removed, terminals protected from short circuit and transported separately as carryon baggage.

If a device is specifically designed to allow its battery to be easily removed (i.e. a collapsible scooter, etc.), there is a single battery size limit of 300 watt-hours. If the device utilizes two batteries, each battery cannot exceed 160 watt-hours. The battery or batteries must be removed, protected from short circuit, and carried onboard to be stowed in the cabin. The battery’s size in watt-hours must be displayed on the battery, or the battery should be labeled with its voltage and amp-hour (or milliamp-hour) ratings to allow for size calculation (see formula below) if needed. Any spare batteries must be transported as carryon baggage with the battery terminals protected to prevent short circuit.

Some Li-ion batteries do not display the watt-hour rating on the battery label. The following formulas may be used to determine the watt-hours rating for a Lithium-ion battery:

If the battery lists the Amp-hour rating, use this formula:

Volts (V) x Amp-hours (Ah) = Watt-hours (Wh)

Example for a single battery:

10 volts multiplied by 24 Amp-hours = 240 watt-hours

The 240 watt-hours are below the 300 watt-hour limit for a single battery, so the battery would be allowed.

If the battery lists the Milliamp-hour rating, use this formula instead:

Volts (V) x Milliamp-hours (mAh) ÷ 1,000 = Watt-hours (Wh)