Opinions on wonder home ports

axelskater

I have been on the Magic & Dream multiple times in the last few years, and my mom and I want to try the Wonder. It is more the ship than the ports, as we want to check out the new Tiana's restaurant and the new Frozen show. The adult area looks great, too. We are thinking 4 nights for a starter cruise.

Is Galveston a decent port? We can do a Very Merrytime voyage for a good price though we will not bother getting off the ship in Cozumel, the only stop. Port Canaveral is about the same cost for the Wonder but not Christmas time (we are NOT combining with WDW as my points are already allocated for next year).Are the Christmas decorations/activities throughout the ship? We LOVE decorations.

The Magic was just okay, the Dream we loved, but the Wonder looks quite beautiful since its refit. The new restaurant & show plus the added lounge really make it seem worthwhile! The Cadillac lounge also looks great. Opinions on the wonder are welcome please !

Well, we have different opinions on the ships. The Magic is our favorite. We haven't been on the Wonder since the big dry dock though, and frankly would like to. Yes, the ship will be decorated from before Thanksgiving till the cruise after New Year's Day. Unfortunately, the terminal at Galveston will not be decorated in Disney style as DCL doesn't have the authority there that they do at PC. Different cruise lines use the same terminal on different days. Galveston is a nice city and a decent port. There are sometimes issues with fog which can delay ships, but it is not nearly as severe as Houston (where ships can't enter the channel due to fog). The downside is that it is a significant distance from the Houston airports. It is rather the same situation you have with MCO/PC--you have about an hour of driving from the airport to the cruise terminal, but you'll want to allow more time due to traffic issues. I'd strongly recommend coming in the day before and staying at a hotel in Galveston. It's a nice city.

I'd do the cruise out of Galveston if the dates and price work for you....

We've been on the Wonder both pre and post dry dock, the changes are significant, yet it still retains the "Classic" feel that the Magic & Wonder are known for. The changes from the dry dock are wonderful, Tiana's Place is a great change from Parrot Cay, while some might feel the atmosphere is too busy or even loud, the food is great and very tasty. The live music and show are fun and you can participate or not. The refurbishment of the Atrium is great, the removal of the starboard staircase really opened up the platform to host live performances and other activities and gives the space much more room. The Adult After Hours area has seen the most changes, with Azure and Crown & Finn pub being completely redone,with Azure being lighter and having a under the sea motif, while the C&F is quintessential Britsh Pub style, lots of comfy seating and deep leather booths and chairs. The common spaces surrounding it are nice too, with a new look and style. Cabanas has been redesigned to accommodate more seating and a much better flow than before with 2 complete service lines for the buffets. Studio Sea is now the D Lounge with a sleek new styling and great aesthetic with new seating and a open lighter design. The Kids Splash Zone is also new with fun activities for toddlers and little ones. The also installed a brand new Funnel Vision screen, with super sharp and bright HD quality video that really makes the movies they show on them pop and look great. They also added a Bibbity Bobbity Boutique for the kids makeovers to princesses and prince as well as pirate nights! The ship exterior was stripped completely and they repainted it with a beautiful new paint job. It still remains the Classic style that the Wonder always had, but the improvements have improved the flow and experience on the ship and will give it a longer life for many years to come! We've already booked the 2019 WBPC trip! Can't wait!

Thank you for the report - the ship sounds great. I like the classic liner look and Art Deco enhancements which the Disney ships have. Our interests will lie in the adult areas and we think the new additions of Tiana's and the new show sound great. We are thinking rather than a quick trip next year, we may hold off for an extra year and do a New England / Canada voyage. I am starting to think my money could be better spent on one 7 day cruise to Canada in the fall and not two shorter ones to ports I don't even want to see.

Has anyone done a Fall NE/Canada Voyage on Disney? How was it? The longest I have been on board is 4 days for a Disney ship ..Thanks for your opinions!

Also - when WILL the Fall 2019 voyages typically be announced? THX!

Spring 2019 was just announced. Typically dates are released 15-18 months before the cruises.

I don't know how to answer your "how was it?" question. It is a typical DCL cruise with different ports. You really only get the super special stuff on cruises longer than 7 nights. 7 compared to 4--more sea days, more on board activities, variety acts, more movies. New England/Canada means cooler weather. Pools are heated, but air can be cold. There will be a different menu and different entertainment each night--3 Broadway style production shows and other things.

DCL ships never get old--the longest I've been on one was 26 nights (14 + 12 B2B). That was probably the only time I was ready to get off.

Thank you for the report - the ship sounds great. I like the classic liner look and Art Deco enhancements which the Disney ships have. Our interests will lie in the adult areas and we think the new additions of Tiana's and the new show sound great. We are thinking rather than a quick trip next year, we may hold off for an extra year and do a New England / Canada voyage. I am starting to think my money could be better spent on one 7 day cruise to Canada in the fall and not two shorter ones to ports I don't even want to see.

Has anyone done a Fall NE/Canada Voyage on Disney? How was it? The longest I have been on board is 4 days for a Disney ship ..Thanks for your opinions!

Also - when WILL the Fall 2019 voyages typically be announced? THX!

We've done it twice, one in fall of 2012 on a 5-day stopped in Halifax and St John and last fall on the DVC Member Cruise that stopped in Halifax. It's definitely not a Caribbean cruise. The air temperature is cooler generally, but it's more site seeing intensive, which we liked. For us, sailing out of NYC, which is our home port, was a treat. Plus we didn't have to worry about flying, which came in especially fortuitous during the member cruise when they loaded us down with gifts.