Medical insurance for my 71 year old dad

Dubdude007

We are going on a cruise in December and sine he has Medicare/Medicaid I wanted to get health insurance coverage for him that does not exclude pre-existing conduction. Can someone please give me company sguesstion and an estimate of what the cost would be for 10 days

We are going on a cruise in December and sine he has Medicare/Medicaid I wanted to get health insurance coverage for him that does not exclude pre-existing conduction. Can someone please give me company sguesstion and an estimate of what the cost would be for 10 days

We are "of that age", and we get our travel insurance through www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They sell policies from several vetted insurers (no extra cost).

What we get is from Travel Insured, and they have paid a couple of relatively large claims with no nonsense.

But you should ask Steve (owner, or one of his associates).

They'll ask you about the cost of the trip, and about several choices (and the costs), and help you/your father to make the right choice.

NOTE: For some types of coverage, one needs to start the coverage within something like 10-20 days (varies with insurer/policy type) of the FIRST deposit payment.

IF you've "missed that" already, there is another choice that requires starting coverage (actually, insuring all or most of the trip) within 24 hours of the "final payment" (defined narrowly, of course).

We also add an annual policy with MedJetAssist, which would handle any medevac if one of us were *admitted* to a hospital at least 150 miles of home. The good thing about this is that you get to make the decision, not any beancounters, etc. They also have a "per trip" policy, but the annual coverage is better for us, as it covers more than one large trip, plus any business/personal travel of more than 150 miles from home, just in case (e.g., if we are across country, and hospitalized and want to be medevac'd to "our" hospital/doctors).

GC

We are "of that age", and we get our travel insurance through www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They sell policies from several vetted insurers (no extra cost).

What we get is from Travel Insured, and they have paid a couple of relatively large claims with no nonsense.

But you should ask Steve (owner, or one of his associates).

They'll ask you about the cost of the trip, and about several choices (and the costs), and help you/your father to make the right choice.

NOTE: For some types of coverage, one needs to start the coverage within something like 10-20 days (varies with insurer/policy type) of the FIRST deposit payment.

IF you've "missed that" already, there is another choice that requires starting coverage (actually, insuring all or most of the trip) within 24 hours of the "final payment" (defined narrowly, of course).

We also add an annual policy with MedJetAssist, which would handle any medevac if one of us were *admitted* to a hospital at least 150 miles of home. The good thing about this is that you get to make the decision, not any beancounters, etc. They also have a "per trip" policy, but the annual coverage is better for us, as it covers more than one large trip, plus any business/personal travel of more than 150 miles from home, just in case (e.g., if we are across country, and hospitalized and want to be medevac'd to "our" hospital/doctors).

GC

Thanks

This seems to be travel insurance and I am looking to get medical coverage—is that the same coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks

This seems to be travel insurance and I am looking to get medical coverage—is that the same coverage?

Yes, this is "travel insurance", but it includes considerable coverage for actual medical expenses, too.

Another type of "medical" risk is if someone gets sick and can't go (as determined by physician), or if this affects traveling companions.

The type of policy we get covers all of that, plus delays or cancellations due to weather or airline traffic disruptions, etc.

You should read the terms of the coverage (for ANY policy) very carefully to make sure it's what you want.

That's where we find Steve and his associates so helpful. When we first started with this (we knew almost nothing, but we had a large claim the very first time, and it was paid, so we know they recommended a suitable policy), we explained our trip, and they asked some questions that helped them/us to zero in on a few policies that would work.

After that, it's a matter of how much coverage, and whether there were some other features we wanted.

One "extra" we do get is Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR), which does cost extra. But for now, with very elderly MIL, DH would definitely want to return if she wasn't feeling well, but it wasn't serious enough for physician to say, "You must return..." or such.

Also, with our own situation (medical and otherwise), we also like that extra, and feel the value is right for us. Others may feel differently, and they wouldn't get that extra.

Steve also helped us avoid a nasty surprise when for our second insured trip, we almost made the travel and insurance arrangements when none of the insurance would have applied. IF we had just done that "on line", we'd have risked being uncovered for that trip, without realizing it. (It's easy to say *now*, that we should have known. But in fact, back then, just a few years ago, we did not!)

We always ask them about anything special/unusual or just any "concerns" before we select/start the policy for each trip.

And we were very surprised that Travel Insured made the claims process relatively simple. (They are obviously entitled to documentation that the claim was legit, but we never felt they required any unusual documentation.)

And is is absolutely critical that we do not have any exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

The cost of the insurance is mostly a function of the cost of the trip, for the policy type we get, and also whether we add the CFAR.

There is a different company we use if we don't start the insurance within the required 20 days of *first* payment. It's not quite as good, and importantly, the CFAR is much more expensive if one still needs it.

Good luck!

GC

Is the cruise you're hoping to get insurance for the one shown in your signature...that leaves next month?

You may struggle to find a policy that will exclude pre-existing conditions at this late date.

It's very important to separate in your analysis the cost of insuring what you paid for the cruise (trip cancellation) and insuring medical costs that may be incurred within the actual dates of travel. It is possible to separate those two components. My read of your post is that you are only interested in post-departure medical insurance. But I've been wrong before.

If you are "self-insuring" the cost of the cruise and are only interested in covering medical costs incurred during your travel, please make that clear in your discussions with the various insurance agents.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’m only interested in medical coverage for the trip, that is I️ do not want trip cancellation/interruption coverage.

TALK to anyone at TripInsuranceStore.com and tell them exactly what you want. They are very helpful.

As others have said, most policies require payment within 21 days of booking, some even shorter. I do know that CSA insurance has pec coverage for payment closer to final payment.

There might be others. Talk to one of the brokers at TripInsuranceStore