Trip cancellation, ? Southwest airlines

5280mom

We are scheduled to sail on RCCL 11/19, flying into Orlando this upcoming Saturday, 11/18. My son has injured his knee, requiring surgery. We meet with the surgeon tomorrow to schedule this. Insurance purchased through USAA, Travel Insured. I believe this falls under the cancellation reason but am wondering what the process is for reimbursement for Southwest airline tickets. We do not want 4K in credit to use with Southwest. Are insurance companies able to reimburse this airfare as with any other airline in lieu of Southwest giving us their standard credit to use within the year?

Are insurance companies able to reimburse this airfare as with any other airline in lieu of Southwest giving us their standard credit to use within the year?

that will be a battle. If the airline will reimburse you for cancellation (like WN does) then the insurance company will not want to reimburse you with cash.

It can be done but there will be a battle. If you cancel the air and accept the credits, the battle is over and the insurance company won. You need to have all ducks in a row and know what your doing before cancelling the flights.

We are scheduled to sail on RCCL 11/19, flying into Orlando this upcoming Saturday, 11/18. My son has injured his knee, requiring surgery. We meet with the surgeon tomorrow to schedule this. Insurance purchased through USAA, Travel Insured. I believe this falls under the cancellation reason but am wondering what the process is for reimbursement for Southwest airline tickets. We do not want 4K in credit to use with Southwest. Are insurance companies able to reimburse this airfare as with any other airline in lieu of Southwest giving us their standard credit to use within the year?

You need to check the terms of your specific policy.

IF you insured the full costs of the trip (cruise and air) with Travel Insured, then there is a very good chance that you would get a check for the losses.

We've had two large claims with Travel Insured, and that's how it worked for us. (We also had policies that did not exclude pre-existing conditions, and that may have speeded up the payment, as there would be no need to see "if" the medical situation was related to something excluded.)

This type of coverage (cash back) is also why we wouldn't want cruise-line type insurance where they give you credits - and worse, in some cases, with time deadlines.

Contact Travel Insured asap, let them know and MAKE SURE YOU CANCEL THE ENTIRE TRIP AND GET CONFIRMATION OF THE CANCELLATION.

You will probably need to provide that, just in case the timing of the cancellation might have been delayed and cost the insurer extra, for example.

We found TI very easy to deal with.

Hope all goes well with the surgery!

EDIT- sorry, didn't realize SW specifics. I've heard that in some cases, one must wait to show one did not use the "value". But ASK TI. We found them to cover things we weren't sure would be covered.

GC

I would also like to know how this turns out. My assumption is that the insurance company will be resistant to reimbursing the Southwest fares...because SW will issue a credit. But the credit is only good for 1 year and only good for SW tickets. If in the situation of the OP, I would carefully read the detailed policy info (found online) including the "definitions" which often have a major impact. Once you are educated yourself you can call the insurance company and see how it goes. I would expect reimbursement for the SW air fares...but it might be a fight. If there is not any specific language in the policy about such a situation then you would be on firm ground to appeal...in the event they refuse to reimburse the fare.

If they did refuse to reimburse the SW Fare, I would have a further question. Assume you take the SW credit...and never use that credit. Then after 12 months...is the insurance company going to then give you that reimbursement. Having worked in the insurance industry (medical) and can see why they might resist reimbursing you for the SW fare until after the credit period (1 year) has expired. From their point of view you could get reimbursed by the insurance carrier....and then use the SW credit for future tickets....thus beating the system.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

You should review your policy to see what it says about airfare. I know when I've purchased the insurance via USAA that it mentions it reimburses for the change fee and not the actual airline ticket cost and since SW doesn't charge a change fee I would imagine they wouldn't refund anything. JMHO

If you insured the entire amount, including the full airfare, then after the year from date of purchase expires, you may get the funds back from Travel Insured that you didn't use with Southwest. The Southwest credit is good for 1 year from date of purchase. Read the policy and call them to clarify.