New Cuba Travel Restrictions

WarEagle76

Chucktownsteve,

We had lunch yesterday at a Parador (private restaurant), and had a lunch of soup, main course and dessert. There are small “cafeteries” that serve sandwiches or pizza, but don’t know the quality or variety.

We went to the Tropicana Caberet last night and really enjoyed it. The staging, costumes and dancers were superb, and we only had a half hour rain delay!

Chucktownsteve,

We had lunch yesterday at a Parador (private restaurant), and had a lunch of soup, main course and dessert. There are small “cafeteries” that serve sandwiches or pizza, but don’t know the quality or variety.

We went to the Tropicana Caberet last night and really enjoyed it. The staging, costumes and dancers were superb, and we only had a half hour rain delay!

Thankx. Were the lunch and Cabaret part of tours or did you do them independently?

You should only be concerned if you plan to spend time in the U.S. Embassy. If you keep moving, you'll be hard to hit with the acoustic ray guns.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the attacks, whatever they may be, occurred in homes of U.S. diplomats/embassy employees, not the Embassy, plus one or two hotels. So don't visit any embassy employees, even if they invite you to lunch.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the attacks, whatever they may be, occurred in homes of U.S. diplomats/embassy employees, not the Embassy, plus one or two hotels. So don't visit any embassy employees, even if they invite you to lunch.

+1

The attacks were against embassy employees in their homes or in residence in hotels. The ambassador's residence was never targeted and the diplomats never experienced the symptoms or heard the tell-tale noises while at work in the embassy itself.

If you are able to go to a restaurant, would you mind letting me know if they have sandwiches on the menu please? :D Or perhaps ask the server if their sandwiches are an authentic Cuban or American sandwich.

Cuban lunches tend to be very similar to the US idea of a dinner: starter of soup or salad, hot entree, and dessert. The most familiar main dish will be ropa vieja. Translated those words mean "old clothes" a name meant to compare the mound of shredded braised steak and braised strips of peppers and onions to a pile of rags. (There's also some tomato in the sauce and, occasionally, some olives.) It's the national dish of Cuba -- not the "Cuban" sandwich -- but it will taste very familiar to American palates.

Just guessing but by putting a deposit it is the intention to purchase the cruise so I would guess you are covered under the old rules if the deposit was made before the June 16th date

Of course the US government could have a different interpretation

I'm pretty sure there's language in the regulation that states something like "first arrangement" or "first action." That to me means deposit on the cruise but of course I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure there's language in the regulation that states something like "first arrangement" or "first action." That to me means deposit on the cruise but of course I could be wrong.

Not reading the new regulations but as for the "purchase" IMHO when the cruise deposit has paid the contract is made; both parties have obligations such as based on the T & C. Further considerations need to be completed, i.e. a payment schedule but the booking has been done, in effect purchased I believe.

Not reading the new regulations but as for the "purchase" IMHO when the cruise deposit has paid the contract is made; both parties have obligations such as based on the T & C. Further considerations need to be completed, i.e. a payment schedule but the booking has been done, in effect purchased I believe.

Azamara issued a full FAQ with the new guidelines. They use the word "booked" as the term.

There is also a link to the State Department site -- with the forbidden places to go that apparently are owned/operated by the military.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Azamara/Press_Release/Azamara_New_Cuba_Regulations_FAQ_Nov2017?utm_source=phase1_consumer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=_cuba_larry_letter_111717_pr&intcmp=_cuba_larry_letter_111717_pr&cid=_cuba_larry_letter_111717_pr&ecid=em_21945687&rid=144765996&emsc=AZAUSA_TA_EXCLUDEBKEM0117_USA_PR&emct=E&lnkid=http%3a%2f%2fcreative.rccl.com%2fSales%2fAzamara%2fPress_Release%2fAzamara_New_Cuba_Regulations_FAQ_Nov2017%3futm_source%3dphase1_consumer%26utm_medium%3demail%26utm_campaign%3d_cuba_larry_letter_111717_pr%26intcmp%3d_cuba_larry_letter_111717_pr%26cid%3d_cuba_larry_letter_111717_pr

I am looking forward to leaving for Cuba in less than a week...If I can I will also post here..we have private tours in all three ports..

Jancruz1

Thank you.

Looking forward to your report.

We are booked on Sirena for May 2018 Cuba cruse. :)

Jancruz,

You and I are on the Flokos' retirement cruise. If it is ok with you, I'd like to pump you for details on your Cuban cruise.

Betsy Horner can introduce us and will be interested in the details as well--she cruises there before I do!

I am looking forward to leaving for Cuba in less than a week...If I can I will also post here..we have private tours in all three ports..

Jancruz1

I also look forward to reading your reports. We have 2 ship tours, 2 private tours and plan to take a private classic car tour of Havana, walk around on our own and eat in local restaurants. We booked in Feb. 2017, so hopefully we'll be OK to do all these DIY activities.

Curious--Is the Tropicana show 100% in spanish?

Here's what one poster wrote in his review on Trip Advisor (TA): "The show was very good, I think there was a story behind it, although I’m not sure what it was because I don’t speak Spanish, which is a shame because I think I would have enjoyed it even more."

Link to the complete review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147271-d147979-r539254949-Tropicana-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html#REVIEWS

Link to all TA reviews for the Tropicana: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147271-d147979-Reviews-Tropicana-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

Here's what one poster wrote in his review on Trip Advisor (TA): "The show was very good, I think there was a story behind it, although I’m not sure what it was because I don’t speak Spanish, which is a shame because I think I would have enjoyed it even more."

Link to the complete review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147271-d147979-r539254949-Tropicana-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html#REVIEWS

Link to all TA reviews for the Tropicana: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147271-d147979-Reviews-Tropicana-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

My memory is a bit hazy because of the river of rum they serve you- but my impression was that it was more introductions to individual performers than a story. Even if there was one it was about as cohesive as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade- they go from one song/dance to the next and it's different for every one.

We were on a land trip a couple of years ago. Loved the Buena Vista Social Club-which still exists and is authentic. Local restaurants can be great but just remember that the water, sanitation issues are more problematic. Most "local" restaurants are actually government owned. The more independent ones are restricted in what they can serve. One owner was shut down for 2 years because he got caught serving a prohibited dish-lobster I think but I could be wrong on that. Things are better than they used to be but it's still a very closed country.

I have 4 openings on a private tour in Santiago due to people having to cancel this cruise.

Half day Tour in Santiago de Cuba

Where: Santiago Port

When: Wednesday, November 29

Time: Noon to 4 pm

Who: 23 Insignia passengers

Cost: $40 per person (or 35 CUC)

Goal: to see the highlights in Santiago de Cuba

We will be in three mini-vans each with a driver and a guide.

“Santiago de Cuba Province is one of the most historically important regions in the country and claims to be the Cradle of the Revolution. The first charge of machete-wielding Mambi was at Baire in 1868. And in 1953 Fidel Castro’s attack on Batista’s barracks took place at Moncada, in the city of Santiago, initiating the Revolution that six years later brought him to power.

The namesake capital city, second only to Havana in size, is distinctive in mood and teems with sites of historical and cultural interest, from a castle and the 16th-century house where Diego Velazquez governed Cuba to a notable cathedral and the Moncada barracks.”

Here are some of the places we would most likely see during our visit in Santiago depending on time and traffic:

* changing of guards at Jose Marti’s mausoleum in the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery

* Fidel Castro’s gravesite which is in front of Jose Marti’s mausoleum

• Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion
  • Parque Céspedes where Fidel Castro gave his victory speech

* Plaza de La Revolucion

• Casa de Don Diego Velasquez
  • Cuartel Moncada
  • Palacio Provincial

Not included: drinks or meals, gratuities for the guides

Email Frances at travelerstimestwo at yahoo dot com

Are there any water / ice cube concerns specifically at the Tropicana?

No- the ice is filtered pretty much at any large tourist spot like upscale hotels or places like the Tropicana and is safe. Didn't have any problems after 4 days there. You're safe as long as it's a 3 star plus restaurant or hotel. Elsewhere can be a crapshoot. Rum is always the safest option.