T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

Since you cruise both Princess and HAL:

Is HAL demographics skewed towards the more “mature” 70’s+ PAXs.

and thus, have a stricter dress code and enforcement than Princess?

Does HAL offer Zumba on sea days, like Princess? I would like to try HAL but only if they have Zumba or similar cardio fitness program. :)

Thank you,

It depends on the length of the cruise and itinerary for either line, but that does not always hold true.

I was on a 14 day Rotterdam last January and I was surprised at the number of families with young children on board.

I have been on a Princess cruise where I walked through the covered pool area everyday as it was the best route for the elevator closest to my cabin. Because the number of comatose elderly bodies on the lounges, I wondered if a pulse check was done by the deck staff throughout the day.

My husband and I are now in our upper 60's (me) and low 70's (him). However, we both started cruising regularly in our 20's so all our age proved is that we still enjoy cruising.

My daughter who is in her 30's loves both HAL and Princess.

I do the Zumba when on board Princess; no Zumba on HAL. There was an aerobic's class on the Rotterdam last January, but I didn't do it because it didn't fit into my schedule that I like to follow on board ship.

I don't think age has everything to do with the expected dress codes on board ship. I think it has more to with the targeted marketing demographic.

My perception is that the demographic is more educated, better traveled, and have higher incomes than the target for the entry level lines. HAL and Princess cruisers expect a different type of on board experience and the cruiselines try to provide that for their targeted demographic.

It depends on the length of the cruise and itinerary for either line, but that does not always hold true.

I was on a 14 day Rotterdam last January and I was surprised at the number of families with young children on board.

I have been on a Princess cruise where I walked through the covered pool area everyday as it was the best route for the elevator closest to my cabin. Because the number of comatose elderly bodies on the lounges, I wondered if a pulse check was done by the deck staff throughout the day.

My husband and I are now in our upper 60's (me) and low 70's (him). However, we both started cruising regularly in our 20's so all our age proved is that we still enjoy cruising.

I do the Zumba when on board Princess; no Zumba on HAL. There was an aerobic's class on the Rotterdam last January, but I didn't do it because it didn't fit into my schedule that I like to follow on board ship.

I don't think age has everything to do with the expected dress codes on board ship. I think it has more to with the targeted marketing demographic.

My perception is that the demographic is more educated, better traveled, and have higher incomes than the target for the entry level lines. HAL and Princess cruisers expect a different type of on board experience and the cruiselines try to provide that for their targeted demographic.

Thanks! Good to know.

Kind of funny that we are in the "older" demographic but really love dancing and all music not just the quiet kind!

We are big fans of "Skywalkers" on Princess ships. When we go, the generational demographic is well represented by most age groups. That holds true on the RCCL cruises we have taken. I think cruising brings out the youth in us. :cool:

To some on here everyone who does not meet their standards of dress and where they choose to eat are "REDNECKS". It is their way to insult everyone that they look down on.

They should visit Northern California for a while. One can see an old "redneck" getting out of a dusty pickup and not realize he is a multi-millionaire farmer who owns a lot of rice land or orchards. They may be "rednecks" but they can afford to cruise higher priced lines than Princess.

I have to agree that it was nice for a while to see a thread that wasn't snarky. The OP clearly stated that she was merely asking and, if the answer was negative, her husband would simply wear what was considered appropriate attire. At no time did she try to press the argument that he should be able to wear the tee shirts in MDR if it wasn't allowed.

I'm trying to think of the correct way to answer this "question".

1) You read the Princess Policy.

2) You know that the written Policy on Princess might not be the followed convention.

3) You are a long time Cruise Critic member.

4) Even Carnival cruises asks for collared shirts for men on Casual Nights.

5) Princess seems that it might be a little bit more formal (a very little) than Carnival.

Solution: Do whatever you want.

The question was "Will he be allowed...?" If he were on the Pacific Princess last month, the answer would have been yes. Two people at my table, both a teen and an unrelated adult, wore T shirts in the MDR on non-formal nights with no comment from any staff. Did it detract from my enjoyment of dinner? Not one bit. I don't let others determine if *I* am having a good time :)

And it does say SHOULD not MUST :D

C2D0020E-A04C-4D8A-8BAA-0CB87AF57186_zpskz08nzj6.jpeg

Just wondering, am I reading the stated dress code wrong?

Indeed, it does say “should”, not “must”....specifically, for Smart Casual only?

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/110659/what-is-the-difference-between-must-do-and-should-do/112293

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Just wondering, am I reading the stated dress code wrong? Indeed, it does say “should”, not “must”....specifically, for Smart Casual only?

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/110659/what-is-the-difference-between-must-do-and-should-do/112293

That has been part of the problem I believe because I have only seen words like "suggested" or "should" associated with the Princess dress code and I have not seen it stated anywhere that it is mandatory. Only on CC have I heard "mandatory" mentioned for Formal Night Dress Code.

Just wondering, am I reading the stated dress code wrong?

Indeed, it does say “should”, not “must”....specifically, for Smart Casual only?

Yes but the formal states to please observe the dress code - some of the trolls (and they know who they are) do not read this portion

Yes but the formal states to please observe the dress code - some of the trolls (and they know who they are) do not read this portion

I don't consider myself a troll, but the OP specifically asked about "NON formal nights" - even capitalizing it just as I quoted. The discussion has since strayed from that (as all dress code threads do!).

I was, pleasantly, surprised that I got through two full pages without reading a snarky post. Some people can't contain themselves. Dress is a personal thing as well as local custom. Times have changed. I remember dressing up in suits to go to a nice restaurant. We also wore those suits when flying; taking our hats off when entering a building; and saying ma'am and sir to people. I still do the latter two, just out of habit and training. I think, once the stick is removed, people will find out it is just not that serious a topic.:)

I do these as well out of politeness. I hate seeing people in restaurants wearing ball caps. Of course I also stand, remove my hat, and hold it over my heart during the national anthem at my grandson's football games. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur but I'm not even 65 yet so I'm really not all that old.

I was, pleasantly, surprised that I got through two full pages without reading a snarky post. Some people can't contain themselves. Dress is a personal thing as well as local custom. Times have changed. I remember dressing up in suits to go to a nice restaurant. We also wore those suits when flying; taking our hats off when entering a building; and saying ma'am and sir to people. I still do the latter two, just out of habit and training. I think, once the stick is removed, people will find out it is just not that serious a topic.:)
I do these as well out of politeness. I hate seeing people in restaurants wearing ball caps. Of course I also stand, remove my hat, and hold it over my heart during the national anthem at my grandson's football games. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur but I'm not even 65 yet so I'm really not all that old.

Note: Yes, I realize I had already posted that this thread had gone on too long but I didn't like what I had typed in that post so deleted it. I should have just posted "Deleted" and let it go at that. Sorry.

Just off the Emerald. Saw lots of what I'd classify as "t-shirts" at dinner. But they were not allowing shorts in (forgot to warn brother-in-law and he was told to go change). Personally, I also think a collared shirt is more appropriate, but certainly, some ships (at least the Emerald) are allowing tshirts.

I asked the question,after reading the written policy,because I know that on ship experience is often different from the policy so was just getting an idea about it from folks with more on board knowledge.

We certainly won't complain about anything as we are planning to enjoy our cruise!!

Bottom line - most don't wear t-shirts.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Forums mobile app

Notice it says "open-neck shirts" for men. Where are people getting the "collared shirt" requirement from?

Doesn't a short-sleeve henley-style shirt meet the requirement?

An "open-neck shirt" by long convention means or implies a shirt with a collar that is un-buttoned at the top. It would need to say "open-neck T/tee/t-shirt" to mean something without a collar. That is not to say you can be admitted with a nice henley style. A "polo" shirt is also a collared shirt by convention.

Thrak, you are a reasonable guy and I know you dress up on formal nights. So I trust your answers. Were you aware of the reason for turn-aways? Were they mostly on smart casual or formal nights? We all know Princess has explicit items not allowed anytime in DR, so was it those things as opposed to lack of suit and tie on formal night? Thanks.

Sorry, missed this post. I wasn't there when the guests were turned away but I believe at least one was wearing shorts which are not allowed in MDR at dinner time. (Breakfast and lunch shorts are fine.) I was told "several" people by someone in our roll call group (a huge group - our Meet and Greet filled Skywalker's!). I don't know about the other folks.

Yes, on some other ships he has worn his t shirt into the MDR for dinner on NON formal nights.

"Dressing properly" is different in different cities . There is not one standard for that throughout the USA.

I am glad that my fellow San Diegan understood what the "norm" is in our city.

I have seen Saturday night weddings here where guests wore everything from long gowns to shorts!! The person who wore the shorts explained,"We just came from our boat"!!

I can see that the consensus on here is that DH should wear a collared shirt to dinner in the MDR and I am sure he will do just that.

No worries! We won't upset the other diners with our clothing.

Thanks again for your very polite replies!!

I live in California and I have often said that in going to a formal affair in California I could put on anything in my closet and someone else will show up dressed just like me. Only in California does that rule apply.