Positive experiences on the MSC Opera

Floridacruiseaholic

We were on the Dec 18th sailing and we had a wonderful time. We were a family of six. My husband and I, and my two children (ages 12 & 9) I brought along my mother and my brother(age 43). We had 3 rooms and were very comfortable. Of course not everything was perfect with the cruise line, however I stay at the Ritz in Paris last year and their were some things I didn't like there either. Overall ,we all enjoyed the cruise and we all found something that was enjoyable to each one of us. I think if you look for perfection in all areas, it will be very hard to please everyone in every catagory. I found the food in the restaurant good to very good on some nights. Their was always something that night that I ate that I throughtly enjoyed. But then again not eveything that I ate every night did I rate as outstanding. The ship was new and beautiful, I would describe it as simple elegance. Our service in the restaruant was outstanding, but when we ate for breakfast and lunch and had a new waiter the service wasn't that fast. The entertainment was very good, but I thought it was a little too repetitive, if you went every night you did see some shows repeated. ( this was a 10 night cruise, I heard on the 7 night cruise they don't have this problem)

Overall, my family had a wonderful time, we enjoyed our cruise with MSC Opera. I would like to state that I believe this cruise isn't for everyone. There is a strong international flavour to the ship and you need to like and enjoy the culture differences between the European Style and American Style of cruising. IF you want the traditional American Style of cruising perhaps this cruise line is not for you. If you want more info please email me

Hope this helps you

SSIERULLO:

Thanks for letting me know. I don't expect everything to be perfect, but I was getting tired of of hearing people continuously put down this cruiseline when there must be somethings that can be pointed out that were good. People have to look at all aspects of things, I just prefer to go for the positive side so I don't go with such a negative attitude. Just realistic.

Thanks so much :)

I agree, I would like to hear more of the positive too. I am also sailing on the Feb 5th sailing. We have started a discussion under roll calls - other cruise lines.My husband and I will be going with our 4 & 9 year olds.

I was on the December 4th cruise and had a wonderful time on it th food was generally very good and the entertainment was outstanding. The ship is

really lovely and not overdone like so many are. I understand your worries

as there are some really negative people on this board. But if you get on

the ship with a possitive outlook to enjoy yourself i think you will. I am just sad that due to work I will not be able to go out on the Opera again this year.

If you are a savvy traveller that wishes to be Pampered in Elegance, pristine white gloved attention and World Class operational professionalism..read on..

It would be fair to let you know that as a Traveller and NOT a tourist, I was ready for anything...WOW did i get a Lovely SURPRISE...

Europe has leant us one of their GEMS in the OPERA ship, a Luxury liner with state of the Art accroutrements,Cuisine, entertainment and Staff.

Most of us can roll with any punches IF we feel that the Vacation we are on has the Elements of RELAXATION, and entertainment....this company delivered a very professional service, with a smile ..not once did I feel like "I" did not matter as was the case on my other cruises.

Although a 'Died in the Wool ' North American tourist may have difficulty grasping the "CURE" this ship provides...ANYBODY who has appreciated OLDE European quality and nouveau surroundings, high end finishes , flourishes and service will no doubt make the quick discoverry that MSC is a TRUE shining STAR in the CRUISE INDUSTRY.

I went in with an open heart and MIND...but came out with many new global friends, totally revitalized by Meditereanian healthy , delicoius cuisine and ultimately took my CURE ...

Although I was not expecting the Glamour , thrill and excitment that the Entertainers provided, I quickly learned to do as the Romans do and enjoyed the never ending choices of activities by the Animation Team.

Book this cruiseline if you want to concentrate on restoring your Peace of Mind, meeting friendly foreigners or sailing with a Company that is organized.

There was never a moment that I felt anything but Enveloped in the HOLIDAY atmosphere.I dreamed of quality conversations, lots of fresh seafoods and aromatic salads. and crisp quality linen on the cabin beds...I got so much more.

It may interest you to know that I will sail with the Opera as soon a I can.This Ship and it's crew re-opened my senses, curiosity and appreciation for a culture that is accustomed to La Dolce Vita...

To All my freinds on the MSC OPERA

Tante Grazie

see You on the Mediterean this SUMMER

Thank You Thank You Thank YOU>>>>

Dusty Martell-Barber

cabin 10052

waiter Putra,& Agus

Room Steward Dewa

dustymartell@shaw.ca

Special Thanks to Hotel officer" Ketty"and Captain Mattia Bravo!

Dusty I am so pleased that your experience with MSC was as good as every cruise that we have had with them. I am delighted for you.

It is amazing how many Canadian Connoisseurs we have encountered who truly appreciate all the good things that MSC provide.

Thanks to all you have been on MSC and were able to balance out all the negativity. Attitude of gratitude goes a long way. I'm with you Floridacruiseaholic, let's go and have a great time! A few questions to those of you who have been on the Opera. How much of the spa facilities are free, such as sauna, whirlpool, steam room? What does a massage cost? Do they give spa tours the day you board to show you the various spa treatments available? Also, any problem bringing a 12 pack of coke onboard or bottled water? Thanks for any info you have to offer me.

Flygirl, I took diet soda and a bottle of wine in my carry on with no problems.

Regarding positive experiences onboard the Opera, they outweighed the negative. I would sail on her again in a minute. :)

Flygirl, I took diet soda and a bottle of wine in my carry on with no problems.

Regarding positive experiences onboard the Opera, they outweighed the negative. I would sail on her again in a minute. :)

Lill, Would like to hear more about your experiences on board. Sounds like you had a great time. When did you go? :)

When you get on grab some lunch then quickly go to the top of the ship and Tour your way down...The Spa is in the front of the Ship close to the Piscene (pool) and Buffalo Bills kids area...it is an entire World onto itself with private Toilet every where ( for busy cabins) and a separate free Steam & dry heat salon for each sex... also two "quiet please" solariums to retire to after the sesions for Relaxation.Had times when I wanted down time AWAY from my cabin mates This was perfect.... the gym sits..in the middle with a view of the world..

The Spa services are top-end but wash-n-sets are customary on Gala night.The salon has lots of product specials and goodies to envelope your hair body and face in European cosmetics.. I was sorry to have missed an opportunity for a double Balinese massage with four hands working in unison...however I did take three SUN Showers in the private room with floor to ceiling glass walls on to the Ocean.( as all the SPA areas are fitted) my suntan was the electric bulbs..but on a grey day it lightened my spirit.$15..then into the Solarium all wrapped in towels for a lay down on the wicker loungers..excellent place to hang for departures and watch ...or a book...also quite handy is that the pool and hot tubs are truly just a few steps away mid-ship..

Europeans are casual yet elegant dressers.Every day was made more special by the wonderful esembles.People took the time to dress well.I am not a fashionista but well turned out folks having good conversations and sharing warmth is my goal.A few words in Italian went a long long way.I smiled at the maitre d instead of changing tables and looking for problems.Our table guests were American ...it took about four days for us to feel at ease chowing down with strangers but TRUST me..we LOVE these folks now...There was a charm about the whole experience that MUST be the ITALIAN mentality that EVERYTHING is going to be fine...a Can DO! attitude about the important stuff and Europeans have learned to decifer what matters.. MSC fan forever

ssierullo - Can you tell me more about how your kids enjoyed this cruise? I have a 9 and 12 year old as well, and they've only been on Disney and RCCL. They like new and different things (and our eldest is studying both Spanish and French - so she'd really enjoying hearing other languages being spoken)! I know my husband and I would love it - but I want to be sure that the kids would be happy too! Thanks for any guidance you (or anyone else) can provide!

One of the biggest feathers Europeans have in their Cruising caps is the way they combine the entire family into daily LIFE.

There are several Animation Team members that always have something going on...dancing, mini golf, classes...pool games deck games...I also saw teens playing cards in the disco in the day.At present the pinball machines are not in use as Sasso is refitting the ship with US coin operated ones ( others were in Euoro's)...BUT>>with all the shore leaves and food..i don't think ANY child or TEEN will be bored.Also at the pool ...life is always lively with ice-cream ,hamburgers...etc...I did not have my kids on the first cruise but my friend did, he is 9.Albeit nine going on 30 BUT...He loved the autonomy of having the run of the ship....Talking to the First Engineer he explained how lovely it is to FIND your party on the Opera or Lirica when they are lost-in -action....a few turns on a couple of decks and you have passed by friendly staff and passengers that will ALWAYS put the flag up for you and tell your child to meet you at your spot!...conversely on the big ships ...If your kids goes out of the cabin...You may not see them again all day...I was somewhat hesitant to book a smaller ship thinking I would be bored, I amnow not sure I want to ever book on a SHIP where i am no more than a number....

I would take my children through the whole ship upon arrival and get aquainted with this magnificent floating Luxury Liner.Each day find yourself in the same area at the pool,for Lunches or even dis-embarkation...i always told my group that I would see them out by the TAXI's..instead of waiting on-board in a lobby on a great morning.ps no-charge towel service for the day trips , right outside the ship

We were on the Carribean 12 day cruise..Spectacular...St Maarten was my fav...Orient beach far right hand side of the beach.Outside the Baywatch restaurant ask for P.V. he has a jet-ski and is big and strong so if you flip the ski...he will come rescue YOU..(Don't ask)..anyway I can't say enough about MSC ...Loved the cruise every morsel of it...sign me

Usually quite fussy....

Dusty - thanks for your comments. My youngest is also 9 years old going on 30 (LOL)! All of my friends are amazed at how she can just hang with adults, and she has an amazing vocabulary for her age (too smart for her own good sometimes, if you know what I mean). We did allow our girls some limited freedom on the RCI/Mariner cruise last year (and that's a huge ship) so I know what you mean about kids enjoying that. Neither of my children would want to participate in a full time kids club, but I just want to be sure there will be other kids for them to hang out with, and a few activities going on that they would enjoy. Sounds like the MSC Opera is just right for our family.

Floridacruiseaholic, yes I did have a great time! It was the most relaxing fun cruise that I have been on. Some of the hi-lites were: Food in the dining room was excellent imho, the cruise staff was loads of fun, relaxing atmoshphere, great drink prices, etc. I loved the size of ship. You met up with the same pax during the cruise. I sailed the inaugural cruise of Dec. 4th. Yes, there were small problems BUT all the positives more than made up for things such as drinking out of small dixie cups. :) BTW, take notice on the Daily Program that you don't see all the advertising like most of the other lines. There was no pushing bingo, drinks, pics, etc. There were no announcements disturbing you through out the day.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I did! :D

hi, just wanted to get back to you regarding my two kids aboard the MSC opera. This was fmy children's first cruise experience. I think if they went on a disney cruise ship or RCCL first they might get disappointed. My children didn't have some thing to compare to. This ship lacks the pool slides, rock climbing, shopping, or even the in line skating etc. If your children are used to making their own fun (my children are use to this, they don't need constant outside stimulation) ie making new friends and exploring on the ship and meeting new friends. then they will enjoy their cruise. This ship has the animation team that will encourage various age groups to come together. Your children need to entertain themselves is the bottom line. Having said that I would manage your children's expectation that this isn't Disney. But please remember my children did have a wonderful experience and loved the port excursions. Make the most of the ports and the things you do on land. If your need furthetr info please email me

Silvana

Silvana, Thanks for the clarification about the kids activities. I understand what you're saying that the Opera doesn't compare to Disney or RCI/Mariner with the number of activities they offer, and I certainly don't expect that! Both of my girls enjoyed the Disney ship, but did not enjoy the camps as they felt they were babied and controlled too much. Their biggest enjoyment on the Mariner was going with their friends to get ice cream, and hanging out by the pool together, watching the shows, and visiting the ports. They didn't go on the rock climbing wall or go ice skating. The only reason they played putt putt golf or in-line skated is because I dragged them there! I guess what I'm saying is that they are very good at making their own fun, and prefer to find their own way. As long as there are children their age on the ship (who speak English!), we should be OK. Besides, I've now told my husband about this cruise and he is extremely gung-ho, so it looks like we'll be booking it!

Floridacruiseaholic, There were no pay dining options during our sailing. We ate most meals in the dining room. My fav foods? The pastas! I skipped the soup and salad and had the pastas each night. The cheesecakes were yummy! It wasn't the same old same like you normally find on a ship. Their Baked Alaska was even good, which was a first for me on a cruise. Oh great, now I'm starving. LOL Have a wonderful cruise and please post your experience and opinions when you return. :D

it sounds like our kids act the same on vacation and that they will have a good time. You mentioned that you are considered about that other children are present and speak English. I would encourage you before booking to contact your TA or contact MSC directly and ask how many children are aboard. Remember they know this number because they must ask the ages of all children I know I told them my children ages. If this is a big concern keep on asking until you find the right person willing to help you

Silvana

Floridacruiseaholic, There were no pay dining options during our sailing. We ate most meals in the dining room. My fav foods? The pastas! I skipped the soup and salad and had the pastas each night. The cheesecakes were yummy! It wasn't the same old same like you normally find on a ship. Their Baked Alaska was even good, which was a first for me on a cruise. Oh great, now I'm starving. LOL Have a wonderful cruise and please post your experience and opinions when you return. :D

Lill,

Thanks for the input. I'll write as soon as we get back. Sounds like you need to go on another cruise. I have been dieting for 6 weeks now and can't wait to eat. I figure 6 small portions a day, I should be fine. When exactly did you go? Rate it on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best for cruise line experiences) Alot of kids on your cruise. We are leaving all the kids at home with my parents. Can't wait for quietness. WOW.

Thanks, Kristen:)

Kristen, I am having definte cruise withdrawal. LOL On a scale of 1-10? That's kind of hard to put the entire cruise in one category. For entertainment and fun it would be a 10 but for overall service only a 7. I have yet to find a "perfect" cruise. (no such thing as bad cruise) Each line seems to have their personal strong points. I don't remember seeing a lot of children on our Dec. 4th sailing. Hope you enjoy the Opera as much as I did! :)

Archived