2 cruise ship passengers were arrested....

SailBadtheSinner

I was wondering the same thing.

There must be more to the story.

Keith

Seems like there has to be. This article in Bernews has slightly more information. Like that it took place at 3:00 am.

Don't know what there is for cruise passengers to be doing at 3:00 am at the Dockyard but in any case given the recent increases in gang activity and crime in Bermuda reported in Bermuda's press I would advise against being out and about at that hour.

http://bernews.com/2017/09/two-people-arrested-after-incident-in-dockyard/

Thanks. I am going to check it out now.

Keith

I just heard from another source that a third passenger was arrested. The locals were robbing them but it appears the passengers are being arrested for beating up the robbers bad enough to send the robbers to the hospital.

Warning. There is explicit language and violence in the video.

Ok watched the video. Though I believe in self defense this was extreme. They should have defended themselves to the point of being able to remove themselves from the situation and reported the incident to the proper authorities. This was too much. Further reports out there state that the tourists were arrested for assault. Which this video clearly shows evidence of. Sad for all those involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok watched the video. Though I believe in self defense this was extreme. They should have defended themselves to the point of being able to remove themselves from the situation and reported the incident to the proper authorities. This was too much. Further reports out there state that the tourists were arrested for assault. Which this video clearly shows evidence of. Sad for all those involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you. What they did was beyond self defense.

Well thanks for posting the video. At 53 years old it not would I would of done. But in my youth thats exactly what I would of done. I am tired of feeling bad for the criminals of the world. They got what they had coming to them.

I do believe in self defense but I never would have gone to that extreme even when I was young enough to be able to. I would never beat anyone to death and from what I have read one of them is close to death. I think the video shows why the passengers were arrested.

Given the recent increase in crime and gang activity in Bermuda I advise people not to walk around the Dockyard at 3:00 am. There have been other recent incidents there. I read the Bermuda press. And I advise staying away the night club the snorkel park late at night.

cruise ship passengers fined; Bernew article: http://bernews.com/2017/09/court-cruise-ship-passengers-fined-300/

.... passengers were within their rights to defend their property, .... ‘went beyond’ what was required....

SBtS

More info in the following article link. The robbers will be charged. http://www.bermudareal.com/alleged-chained-snatchers-to-face-charges-after-tourists-fined-for-dockyard-assault/

I am in Bermuda now. On the way to and from horseshoe bay we talk to the taxi drivers about this situation. Not only did they say the punks got what they deserved for acting like thugs (as one driver put it). But they both said a Bermudian paid the tourists fines.

I am in Bermuda now. On the way to and from horseshoe bay we talk to the taxi drivers about this situation. Not only did they say the punks got what they deserved for acting like thugs (as one driver put it). But they both said a Bermudian paid the tourists fines.

Reading the Bermuda press some Bermudians have that opinion. That does not make it right. As far as the tourists fines the Bermudian who made that offer changed his mind and now believes that the tourists used excessive force. I have linked to his letter withdrawing his offer to pay the fine.

http://www.royalgazette.com/letters-to-the-editor/article/20170909/now-better-informed-my-offer-is--withdrawn

• 1 month later...
You may have inferred that but I did not see it implied at all.

I infer you did not comprehend my post as intended. The post you replied to when resurrecting that old thread was referring to a news article published at the time of the arrests. There were more articles published after that. The locals who were beat up were charged with robbery. The cruise passengers were fined for an excessive response to the robbery.