Key West Port closed INDEFINITELY

MrsPhoenix91

25% of buildings totally destroyed, 65% of buildings with severe damage. might not be alot to see or do.

These statistics are not about Key West! Key West actually weathered the storm very well with very minimal structural damage. It is other areas of The Keys such as Marathon and the Lower Keys that were severely damaged.

There is a great deal of misinformation out there. Please don't help spread it.

These statistics are not about Key West! Key West actually weathered the storm very well with very minimal structural damage. It is other areas of The Keys such as Marathon and the Lower Keys that were severely damaged. There is a great deal of misinformation out there. Please don't help spread it.

Appreciate this helpful follow-up and these details for our beloved Keys and Key West. Very sad what has happened there. From the New York Times Travel Section in the past couple of days, they have this headline: After Irma: Caribbean Tourism, Island by Island with these highlights for the Keys: The infrastructure on the island chain is being evaluated this week, and the tourism council has advised visitors to postpone any planned travel to the area in the near future. Monroe County, the southernmost county in Florida, said in a statement earlier this week that for most of the Keys, there is no fuel, electricity, running water or cell service. General aviation at the Key West International and Florida Keys Marathon International airports are closed. Yet in some happy news from Ernest Hemingway’s former home in Key West, 54 six-toed cats, many of which are the descendants of the author’s cat, Snow White, were all safe and sound.”.

Am I correct as a summary that Key West itself survived fairly well under this bad situation. BUT, getting there right now and enjoying the rest of Keys is not good?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/travel/after-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

"Am I correct as a summary that Key West itself survived fairly well under this bad situation. BUT, getting there right now and enjoying the rest of Keys is not good?"

Yes, that is a fair summary. It will be some time before the rest of The Keys recovers, but Key West was very lucky.

These statistics are not about Key West! Key West actually weathered the storm very well with very minimal structural damage. It is other areas of The Keys such as Marathon and the Lower Keys that were severely damaged.

There is a great deal of misinformation out there. Please don't help spread it.

Hey Keywester,

It would be great to hear any specific info that you have, when you can. I hope your place is ok.

Thank you for asking, my house is ok. Some large trees lost and minor damage, but nothing too bad. Key West was very lucky. Just 20 miles up the road, things are devastated.

I think Key West will recover well and the port will reopen. I don't know when, but not too long. A big problem will be housing for our service industry. Many lived in the worst hit areas of the Lower Keys and affordable housing, like trailers and houseboats, were largely destroyed. Rents were outrageous before Irma. I don't know what people will do.

It looks like the first cruise ship will be in port this Friday. Personally I think these visitors may be disappointed in the number of closed businesses and attractions, but hopefully they will make the best of it and spend some money with our service industry and workers.

When do the variables that people don't think a lot about is the supply chain. Stores need to be able to be resupplied with food and t-shirts and booze and so on. The question at this point are vendors able to get on to Duval Street and Supply the businesses or not.