Pat Down

GUT2407

I have had a few cruises now using a wheelchair.

Each time when I pass through security there is an issue.

They can’t pass you through the metal detector, obviously.

The hand wands don’t really work as the chair will trigger those too.

So they want to do a hand pat down.

Now my back is so bad that as a general rule I can’t stand anyone touching my back at all. I have offered to remove my shirt for a visual inspection, that’s always declined.

How do others deal with this issue.

One cruise the security guard was so ham handed I then spent four days in bed.

Now my back is so bad that as a general rule I can’t stand anyone touching my back at all. I have offered to remove my shirt for a visual inspection, that’s always declined.

Visual inspection is not part of the security protocol and is unrealistic to expect that would be acceptable in this day and age. The basic rights that apply to anyone going through a security checkpoint are:

• The right to request that the pat-down be conducted by an officer of the same gender, although there is no right to shorter wait times. Sometimes travelers will have to wait until an officer of the same gender becomes available.
  • The right to request a private screening at any time. Even if travelers forget to ask, TSA officers or it's equivalent in the care of cruise ship security are obliged to offer a private screening if sensitive or private areas of the body must be touched during a pat-down. The private screening doesn't have to be completely private. Travelers have the right to bring a companion or family member with them to the private screening, and another officer (also of the same gender) shall also be present to observe the screening for irregularities.
  • may ask for reasonable accommodations, including chairs, during the pat-down process.
  • should let the screening agent know about injuries or conditions that could cause them pain if parts of their body are touched or pressed. It's also important to alert the officer about any medical devices that could be dislodged by a search.
  • have the right not to remove or lift any article of clothing to reveal a sensitive body area. This may include items of religious clothing.

Visual inspection is not part of the security protocol and is unrealistic to expect that would be acceptable in this day and age. The basic rights that apply to anyone going through a security checkpoint are:

• The right to request that the pat-down be conducted by an officer of the same gender, although there is no right to shorter wait times. Sometimes travelers will have to wait until an officer of the same gender becomes available.
  • The right to request a private screening at any time. Even if travelers forget to ask, TSA officers or it's equivalent in the care of cruise ship security are obliged to offer a private screening if sensitive or private areas of the body must be touched during a pat-down. The private screening doesn't have to be completely private. Travelers have the right to bring a companion or family member with them to the private screening, and another officer (also of the same gender) shall also be present to observe the screening for irregularities.
  • may ask for reasonable accommodations, including chairs, during the pat-down process.
  • should let the screening agent know about injuries or conditions that could cause them pain if parts of their body are touched or pressed. It's also important to alert the officer about any medical devices that could be dislodged by a search.
  • have the right not to remove or lift any article of clothing to reveal a sensitive body area. This may include items of religious clothing.

And the bit you’ve put in red.

When you do that and they are still heavy handed.

What then.

Those are really TSA regulations, and the port security is not TSA. However, I would always ask for a supervisor prior to being patted down, to explain things and to have available to voice your concerns during the procedure.

Though they may be TSA regulations have been told by various cruise lines senior security officers that the same rights apply on a cruise ships.

And the bit you’ve put in red.

When you do that and they are still heavy handed.

What then.

Ask to speak to a supervisor.

Also understand they don't intentionally plan to hurt you or add to your pain discomfort. In most cases the clothing one wear dictates the level of force required. Therefore I make certain not to wear anything with that's bulky has pockets, zipper,s pleats, belts, appliques and or other affixed ornamentation that adds to the bulk of the fabric. Any article that can be removed prior to even boarding the ship has been removed. For example if I have a blouse with a camisole or shell under it the blouse is removed and placed in the tray to go through x-ray making the process easier for both me and security.

The pat downs do not bother me. However, I usually do not have any areas sensitive to pain. I will normally tell the agents I can walk through and that I have a pin in my hip. Regardless, I usually end up with a pat down. The way they sort of roll the back of their hand over does not cause any discomfort. Guess I'd rather go through proper security checks than worry about the ship or a plane being blown up. It is for our own safety.

I enter the terminal on my scooter. Most times on the scooter, DH goes through the metal dectector with anything I am carrying, and I'm directed to go around the metal detector to an area adjacent to the detector, and a female inspector has me stand and she does a pat down inspection. Last cruise though, I think the inspector said I didn't need to stand, and then I was patted down on the scooter. I can't speak to pain, my issues have to do with balance, walking or standing for an extended period of time.

I have multiple chronic pain conditions and used a scooter on my last cruise and have used wheelchairs in airports on multiple occasions. I always gently tell the agent that I have multiple chronic pain conditions and can react poorly to being touched and have never had an issue. They have always been respectful and gentle. Sometimes I am asked if I can stand and I have when able other times they have checked me while seated in my chair. In all cases while you never know what to expect it has always been a smooth and a pain free process. I make sure to empty all my pockets and to make their job as easy as possible I don’t wear metal on my clothes so the only thing that can set off the metal detector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk