Pre Cruise PG One day overnight to Moorea. Suggestions?

sandybeachy

We arrive late Thursday night into PPT. Thinking of staying in a hotel near the ferry terminal Thursday night and then Friday early morning taking the ferry to Moorea for Friday night taking the ferry on Saturday afternoon to board the PG cruise. Looking at the Intercontinental Moorea. Any suggestions of hotels in Papeete? Which ferry should we take? Should we pre-buy tickets? What is the best way to go from the ferry to the hotel? Is there a hotel shuttle?

Are we crazy to go to Moorea? With the cruise we will have an overnight Thursday and Friday in Papeete. PG does not book pre-cruise overnight packages in Moorea for just one night.

Thanks!

We just returned from our 6th PG cruise and we did 5 nights at the Hilton on Moorea prior. While we love the Hilton I don't think it is worth the expense and hassle for 1 night as you can't check in until the afternoon and you have to be out by 11:00 am. Consider Fare Suisse, a small but clean pension in Tahiti which includes transport from the airport and then to the ferry when you leave. I would tour around Tahiti on your full day and walk to the food trucks that evening for dinner.

If you opt for Moorea you purchase the ferry tickets at the ferry, no need to prebook. You need to arrange transport or rent a car on Moorea. Avis is right across the street from the ferry terminal. Hotels do not include transport on Moorea.

Another vote for Fare Suisse. It is very basic but comfortable and clean. Proprietors are wonderful and pick you up at airport late and take you to port next day. We tootled around the neighborhood and stopped off at the local grocery store for last minute items to kill time before going to the port. Did this summer 2017 and returning to same place this fall. Get the breakfast- again it's very simple but you sit on a porch with a lovely view. It doubles as the Swiss Embassy for Tahiti!

Have you called Paul Gauguin to ask about a 1 night pre-cruise stay at the IC-Moorea? My husband and I have a 1-night w/ early AM arrival pre-cruise stay at IC Moorea booked through PG for our cruise this September. The way I understand it is that this is not a normal offering but rather this package was offered because there was no additional availability for overwater bungalows at the IC Tahiti due to construction. This does show that PG is sometimes able to arrange pre-cruise stays that are not advertised on their website. Perhaps they may be able to put a package together for you. They may only be able and/or willing to do this sort of a package when their availability at the IC Tahiti is abnormally low or non-existent, which would be understandable, but you won't know unless you ask.

I personally did not want to go over to Moorea for just one night and would not be doing so if PG hadn't offered this package. I also never thought I would book a pre-cruise package as I usually prefer to save money by making independent arrangements but it was very important that on this occasion our pre-cruise stay was as easy, stress free and enjoyable as possible and thus I decided I wanted a pre-cruise package. I know that we will be tired from the travel so I didn't want to go the excursion route to be entertained (my husband will need to have something to do) and we are not lay by the pool people so I decided that I really wanted to have an over-water bungalow so that we could do some easy snorkeling on and off throughout the day. PG could not get us an overwater bungalow at the IC-Tahiti, they could only offer a lagoon view room for $415/p - a price that I find to be absolutely absurd for what appears to be a pretty standard and basic hotel room. Since they offered us an overwater bungalow at IC-Moorea and I know that my husband will love being able to snorkel right from our bungalow I decided it was our best option. At first I was not excited about this as we walked through the IC Moorea on our last visit and we were not at all impressed and I also didn't really want the extra travel time after our long flight considering we only have the one night pre-cruise to adjust. However, I will admit that my excitement for experiencing an overwater bungalow for the first time is really building up now that we are getting closer to the trip and thus I think we made the right choice for us given the options we had.

• 6 months later...

Our trip report -- The first night we booked a room at the Hotel across from the airport because of our 8 pm arrival and then took a cab the next morning to the ferry to Moorea, picked up our rental car and totally loved our day and night at the IC Moorea.    Beautiful grounds with turtles and dolphins, kayaking and snorkeling right from the beach or over water huts.   Great dinner and breakfast included in our price which was much lower booked on our own.   The only change I would make is booking  two nights at the IC.  The drive around Moorea is beautiful!   Going back to board our ship we found that the ferry and the PG were at the same dock.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...