Any opinions on hotel?

akeasley

Hello,

Thinking of staying at the Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale on the Intracoastal. Address is 3333 NE 32nd Ave.

Does anyone know if there’s stores within walking distance like CVS or a Target? The Marriott website doesn’t mention anything.

You could very easily look at something like Google Maps for what is in the area off the hotel.

TripAdvisor will provide you lots of reviews.

CC is here for the giving and getting of information so this is great place to ask this question!!

OP, great question and I’m sure someone either local or that has stayed there will able to help you with the answer.

We haven't stayed there personally but from checking a bit on Trip Advisor etc looks like there are restaurants & a Walgreens within walking distance.

So far we have only stayed at GalleryOne but our next cruise we are trying Riverside hotel and also Best Western Oceanside.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has stayed there and can advise.

OK, thanks for the responses! I had checked Google Maps and had noticed a Walgreens but was hoping for something bigger since we’re staying 2 days pre cruise and I have kids.

Think I’ll look for another Residence Inn location.

For the most part, you will not find large stores like a Target on the barrier island (east of the intracoastal) and the Targets and Walmarts aren't located downtown. On the other hand, drug stores like CVS and Walgreens carry a wide range of items including beach items. For the best combination of shopping (and there still won't be a Target or Walmart) and hotels look at the 17th Street area. Anything near the Harbor Place shopping center (Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place/Convention Center, Four Points by Sheraton are closest but really anything in the area is within walking distance) will give you easy access to a Publix grocery stores (with lots of toiletries and beach paraphernalia), TJ Maxx (beach clothing and accessories), and Total Wine (lots and lots of wine). It is also the terminus for the Sun Trolley and its cheap ($1/ride; $3/day pass - www.suntrolley.com) transportation to/from the beach and within a mile of the nearest water taxi stop (www.watertaxi.com) which might be useful since you are staying two days with kids.

• 4 weeks later...
For the most part, you will not find large stores like a Target on the barrier island (east of the intracoastal) and the Targets and Walmarts aren't located downtown. On the other hand, drug stores like CVS and Walgreens carry a wide range of items including beach items. For the best combination of shopping (and there still won't be a Target or Walmart) and hotels look at the 17th Street area. Anything near the Harbor Place shopping center (Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place/Convention Center, Four Points by Sheraton are closest but really anything in the area is within walking distance) will give you easy access to a Publix grocery stores (with lots of toiletries and beach paraphernalia), TJ Maxx (beach clothing and accessories), and Total Wine (lots and lots of wine). It is also the terminus for the Sun Trolley and its cheap ($1/ride; $3/day pass - www.suntrolley.com) transportation to/from the beach and within a mile of the nearest water taxi stop (www.watertaxi.com) which might be useful since you are staying two days with kids.

Thanks for this info! I'm going to check and see if there are any Marriott's near the 17th street area.

Thanks for this info! I'm going to check and see if there are any Marriott's near the 17th street area.

Yes, the Renaissance. It's lovely and walkable to Publix, Total Wine, Walgreens (which is across the street) and 10 zillion other places. It's opposite the entrance to PE but not walkable....the port is huge and not designed for walking.

You'll find PLENTY of stuff close to that hotel. It's very nice, the pool is great for the kids and I think you'll like staying there. I was just there in May and back in December. I've reviewed in on TA, my username there is cruisermeg...I posted a lot of pix too

Yes, the Renaissance. It's lovely and walkable to Publix, Total Wine, Walgreens (which is across the street) and 10 zillion other places. It's opposite the entrance to PE but not walkable....the port is huge and not designed for walking.

I agree with the "port is huge and not designed for walking" comment but should the OP be staying at the Renaissance, terminals 2 (Princess) and 4 (cruiseline varies) are within an easy walk of the Renaissance and can be entered before port security. See https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Everglades_Map_REVISED_November_30_2016_bae57d31-04c5-41d1-b193-a4bf242d9293.pdf. The Renaissance is on the north side of 17th Street at the intersection with Eisenhower Blvd. That said, my idea of beginning a vacation is not dragging luggage in Florida heat and humidity further than the front door of my condo but there have been a number of posts on this board of people who did just that (hopefully in the winter when the temperatures and humidity are lower).

I agree with the "port is huge and not designed for walking" comment but should the OP be staying at the Renaissance, terminals 2 (Princess) and 4 (cruise line varies) are within an easy walk of the Renaissance and can be entered before port security. See https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Everglades_Map_REVISED_November_30_2016_bae57d31-04c5-41d1-b193-a4bf242d9293.pdf. The Renaissance is on the north side of 17th Street at the intersection with Eisenhower Blvd. That said, my idea of beginning a vacation is not dragging luggage in Florida heat and humidity further than the front door of my condo but there have been a number of posts on this board of people who did just that (hopefully in the winter when the temperatures and humidity are lower).

IMO, it's NOT an easy walk nor a pleasant way to start a vacation, especially in the hot with luggage! ;pIt's a $5-10 Uber at most! :D :D

As a side note, every time I sail from the PanAm pier in SJU, there are people walking from hotels near the convention center with their luggage. One person is USUALLY either miserable, yelling at the one who suggested it to save money, or both! The cabbies and I have a good laugh!

CC is here for the giving and getting of information so this is great place to ask this question!!

OP, great question and I’m sure someone either local or that has stayed there will able to help you with the answer.

Carolyn,

I have always appreciated your info on CC. Thank you.

We are doing a cruise on the Crown Princess , Feb 15. Need an overnight hotel 2/14, checking out 2/15. Prices are an arm and a leg for those dates! We have tentatively booked the Hilton Marina and are going to look out for lower prices. Any suggestions? strategies? ideas?

I stayed at this hotel 2 days post cruise in June 2017 when we cruised on Allure. We had a rental car. It’s valet only parking for a smaller cost than beachfront hotels. But, there is a parking lot next door/in front which we used when going in and out quickly. Valet service was always prompt, though. The room was nice. We had a one bedroom suite which allowed our son to nap while we were awake and watching TV, etc. There was abwasher and dryer included - which I did use. It’s very small and apartment style - as expected. I liked the full kitchen. We ordered food from the restaurant next door. It was pretty good. My husband walked over to pick it up. We had a nice view from the balcony. Granted - it was only the parking lot and stores but it was nice to be able to sit outside and relax while waiting for laundry.

The pool was small but my son liked it. The included breakfast was okay. I’ve had better at other Residence Inns.

I would definitely stay there again. I liked the space and we didn’t really need to be by the beach again after cruising and 2-3 days pre-cruise at another hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums