Live from Oceania Regatta – post refurbishment!

Just echoing Jim and Stan -- no, the bathrooms were not refurbished. They're a bit on the small side (and feature shower curtains rather than shower doors) but do have a lot of storage. Toiletries were by Bvlgari, there were plenty of great big thirsty towels, and there's a hair dryer that you'll find in the closet (the old hair dryer is still hanging on the wall but we were thrilled to have a new one to use!).

Carolyn

Thanks for the great review !!

I might have missed it, but do you have any comments on whether and how the bathrooms for OV were refurbished?

Thanks,

Tom

I think my question was misunderstood. What I was wondering was if the dishes offered in Grand from Toscana and Red Ginger rotated' date=' offering a different one from each restaurant each night.

Thanks, again.

Donna[/quote']

Yes different selection from eCh of the two restaurants each night

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A nice change if they keep it up. When we were on Nautica last year the same two items from Jacques and Red Ginger were on the GDR menu for the entire cruise. Looking forward to a better selection in a few weeks.

Yes, there's a menu item from Red Ginger and from Jacques every night. One night, on the Jacques menu there was a Mediterranean-influenced shrimp dish, with a red sauce. I ordered a small version as an appetizer and it was marvelous.

Carolyn

We will be sailing on the Regatta for the first time in October 2014.

Just wish to confirm your comment that since the ship does not have Red Ginger or Jacques that Oceania offers dishes in the MDR that would normally be served on the Riviera or Marina.

Will do re Teijo, JimandStan -- he speaks highly of you both (and since I've met you, too, I'd have to agree that ship-fans may be diminishing in numbers but there are a lot of us still around :)

Carolyn

+1 Carolyn, we've had some wonderful times , and meals, in the Grand Dining Room.

- Please send Teijo our very best, he was so great to us on the Riviera, and his being a fellow ship-fan, made for some very interesting conversations. :D

There aren't very many of us left-

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but at lunch in The Grand Taste of the World is a new menu feature -- themed by region, and available every day. Here's a menu that highlighted an offering on our trip -- it's really an interesting concept.

Carolyn

2125836794_fabnewlunchaddition.jpg.6380402b030da0c918b1fd57ca9939d7.jpg

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but at lunch in The Grand Taste of the World is a new menu feature -- themed by region, and available every day. Here's a menu that highlighted an offering on our trip -- it's really an interesting concept.

Carolyn

Have really enjoyed your highlighting your trip and the refurbished Regatta. My husband and I are also fans of Oceania having taken 5 cruises and are looking forward to the next three that we have already booked. Been on all the ships but Regatta so waiting anxiously for our December cruise.

We also love Cruise Critic having made so many friends all over the world and connecting to set up independent excursions.

Carol

We found the sea bass to be overly sweet and certainly not great.

Many other fish dishes on Regatta far exceeded it in taste unless you like your fish sweet.

I'm happy to find I'm not the only one. While others raved about the miso glazed sea bass, I found it sickeningly sweet and couldn't even taste any flavor but the glaze. First bite I thought 'Mmmmmm', but after another bite I realized the sugar was literally sickening. Red Ginger is not my favorite.

You know what surprised me, HeatherInFlorida? There was a lot of emphasis from Cruise Critic's Oceania veterans on dining at Toscana and Polo Grill, the ship's two alternative restaurants. But I have to say I absolutely adored the Grand, great menu, delicious food, no structure -- you could show up anytime between 6:30 - 9 p.m. I adored the Grand for breakfast and lunch, too....

Carolyn

Carolyn, don't know how I missed this. We are on Regatta in November, but so far we've only cruised on Riviera (twice). I love GDR and we made sure to eat there every other night ... Also met some wonderful people there. But based on your comments here, I told DH that this trip we must have breakfast and lunch in the GDR. We always went to Waves or Terrace. Thank you again for taking the time to post from your cruise. Much appreciated :)!

I'm happy to find I'm not the only one. While others raved about the miso glazed sea bass, I found it sickeningly sweet and couldn't even taste any flavor but the glaze. First bite I thought 'Mmmmmm', but after another bite I realized the sugar was literally sickening. Red Ginger is not my favorite.

I felt the same way about it when we had it in Red Ginger on Riviera, then I had it on Regatta in the MDR, it had much less sauce and was browned more. It was fantastic.

I felt the same way about it when we had it in Red Ginger on Riviera, then I had it on Regatta in the MDR, it had much less sauce and was browned more. It was fantastic.

Thanks for telling me!! It was on Riviera I had it. We'll definitely try it in November on Regatta :).

I think my question was misunderstood. What I was wondering was if the dishes offered in Grand from Toscana and Red Ginger rotated' date=' offering a different one from each restaurant each night.

Thanks, again.

Donna[/quote']

On our sailing(just disembarked) they had dish from each but did repeat a few times. I.e the popular sea bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all this great info! We are in the process of canceling a Regent cruise in March and our TA has booked an owner's suite of the Regatta March 28 sailing. This all looks good and we thought we'd try a close to home cruise first. It's so nice to read so many positive comments!

Debi

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, HeatherInFlorida! Hope you'll review your trip -- and have a great one.

Carolyn

Carolyn, don't know how I missed this. We are on Regatta in November, but so far we've only cruised on Riviera (twice). I love GDR and we made sure to eat there every other night ... Also met some wonderful people there. But based on your comments here, I told DH that this trip we must have breakfast and lunch in the GDR. We always went to Waves or Terrace. Thank you again for taking the time to post from your cruise. Much appreciated :)!

• 2 weeks later...