Chase Sapphire Preferred Improved Travel Benefits

rallydave

Here's what the Chase benefits department rep told me as to the Sapphire Preferred trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance. The entire charge for the trip does not have to be placed on the Sapphire. But the coverage limit will only be for the amount of the payment placed on the Sapphire (not to exceed $10,000 per person).

So, as I understand it: let's say the cruise is $10,000 per person; that a $500 deposit per person was charged to a different card; and that the final payment of $19,000 (for 2 travelers) was put on the Sapphire Preferred. The coverage provided by Chase would have a limit of $19,000.

Of course, trip interruption/cancellation would only be provided for circumstances set forth in the policy and, as explained to me by the Chase benefits rep, the relationship between the cardholder and second traveler must meet their household and/or familial guidelines.

As a new cardholder, I requested a copy of the benefits booklet. The rep says this will explain in detail.

It does indeed. With regard to coverage for multiple persons on the same trip, p. 17 of the Guide to Benefits says this: "Yes, each traveler is eligible to receive the primary benefit up to the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence." The maximum per person is $10,000 (or what was charged), up to a maximum of $20,000 per trip (all persons) and $40,000 maximum per-12 month period. In other words, if you cancelled a years' worth of trips (for cause) for both of you, they'd stop the reimbursement at $40K.

It does indeed. With regard to coverage for multiple persons on the same trip, p. 17 of the Guide to Benefits says this: "Yes, each traveler is eligible to receive the primary benefit up to the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence." The maximum per person is $10,000 (or what was charged), up to a maximum of $20,000 per trip (all persons) and $40,000 maximum per-12 month period. In other words, if you cancelled a years' worth of trips (for cause) for both of you, they'd stop the reimbursement at $40K.

I have completely switched to using the Sapphire and Explorer cards for cancellation and interruption insurance. I have personally spoken with the benefits department and I feel confident that the coverage is no different from that which we usually pay hundreds or thousands for per trip. I supplemented with an annual health insurance plan (around $300) and Medjet Assist. I think it's a smart move.

Do you mind me asking what Heath insurance plan? I have a blue cross, blue shield plan and my DH has BCBS in addition to Medicare. We both have Medjet Assist. We just got our sapphire preferred for the trip cancellation insurance and cancelled AMEX platinum. Thanks.

Do you mind me asking what Heath insurance plan? I have a blue cross, blue shield plan and my DH has BCBS in addition to Medicare. We both have Medjet Assist. We just got our sapphire preferred for the trip cancellation insurance and cancelled AMEX platinum. Thanks.

HeAlth plans offered are different state by state and by age. U should go on squaremouth.com and see what is available to u in your state and at ur age

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got our sapphire preferred for the trip cancellation insurance and cancelled AMEX platinum. Thanks.

We just did exactly the same thing. AmEx is seriously behind in the benefits race, I think. Ours was a Delta-branded AmEx. In addition to the miles and the bonus miles, it will help me stay at least Gold next year, but the changes coming after the first of the year would likely drop me to Silver after that even with the card. Not worth it anymore....it's been a steady drop from Diamond to Platinum this year (and almost never upgraded, even so). Cashed in almost all my miles for 2 business class tix to China next spring (I've been to Asia twice in coach for work, and I don't want to do that again for vacation). My loyalty to any one airline is no more.

We just did exactly the same thing. AmEx is seriously behind in the benefits race, I think. Ours was a Delta-branded AmEx. In addition to the miles and the bonus miles, it will help me stay at least Gold next year, but the changes coming after the first of the year would likely drop me to Silver after that even with the card. Not worth it anymore....it's been a steady drop from Diamond to Platinum this year (and almost never upgraded, even so). Cashed in almost all my miles for 2 business class tix to China next spring (I've been to Asia twice in coach for work, and I don't want to do that again for vacation). My loyalty to any one airline is no more.

Too funny

I was a loyal Delta flyer (Diamond and MM). Miles became unusable at some point, with few low mileage tickets and no one ways. I used to have a Delta Reserve card to get the MQMS but I got rid of it in favor of Amex Platinum. I too used the last of our Delta miles for 2 bus class tickets RT China. Done with Delta.

The Amex Platinum is better than the Reserve card and I got it with 100000 bonus point offer. They have recently lost and added some perks and I will evaluate its worth going forward.

Sapphire right now is the best. We both have them. Best benefits for us.

I have the United's MilesPlus Club card and here is my experience using their insurance coverage. Airfare was booked using the card for a SFO to LHR flight last May. Unfortunately, we had to cancel due to a family illness and I submitted a claim for airfare and hotel deposit. Here is the thing to remember that when you cancel. United allows you a credit for a year to rebook (with fee) another flight. I didn't want to use the credit since I had already booked using FF miles for our cruise in May, 2015. I was advised that I needed to wait until this November (one year from original booking of cancelled flight) and resubmit my claim and I should receive full reimbursement. I was told by the insurance representative if I decide for some reason to go ahead and use the United credit within the year, they would cover all fees. Keeping my fingers crossed I was advised correctly.

I was a loyal Delta flyer (Diamond and MM). Miles became unusable at some point, with few low mileage tickets and no one ways.

Delta says one way award tickets (at half RT prices) will begin availability 1/1/2015 and promises there will be more low mileage award availability then also. We shall see.

Edited by ohmark

As to upthread questions as to whether there is comprehensive travel insurance with waived pre-existing condition coverage if you didn't purchase said coverage at time of original cruise deposit, I have found the following policy listed at Squaremouth (for travelers headed outside the U.S.) which provides pre-existing condition waiver if purchased within 30 days of final payment: Trawick International "Safe Travels International Trip Protection excl US". (There is a different variation which covers travelers to the U.S.) This policy is considerably less expensive than the only other policy I could find available (mentioned upthread--CSA Custom Luxe which supposedly waives if purchased before final payment) which may waive pre-existing conditions even if not purchased at time of initial deposit. Info is taken from Squaremouth and I have no independent knowledge. Check and read all details on your own before purchasing anything (or using the free trip insurance from Chase Sapphire), and don't rely on my posts or any others when making insurance decisions.

To those taking advantage of Chase Sapphire Preferred free trip insurance, you should (and probably do) understand that pre-existing conditions are NOT waived according to my reading of the benefits booklet.

Edited by ohmark

Different states offer different policies.

We will not all see what others see available

I believe that Jan and I are both in California - although some might argue that Southern California is (or should be) a different state (or even different world) from Northern California :D

We should see the same things.

Edited by Paulchili

I believe that Jan and I are both in California - although some might argue that Southern California is (or should be) a different state (or even different world) from Northern California :D

I would definitely argue that. LOL

Include me in! But please, not 6 states; can you imagine 6 governors??

Winnie

we are not as formal as "up there". More beach! LOL

Regarding this Chase Card..I got it, but there is a hitch for me. They gave me a $30,000 limit which doesn't comfortably cover when I pay off a cruise. I am currently using it for "eating out". I don't expect them to raise the limit when it is new, but I am seriously considering applying for one in my husband's name and then that would cover everything.

We use an Amex Centurion and it is good to know you have unlimited credit, but I agree that they are far behind in the benefits department.

we are not as formal as "up there". More beach! LOL

Regarding this Chase Card..I got it, but there is a hitch for me. They gave me a $30,000 limit which doesn't comfortably cover when I pay off a cruise. I am currently using it for "eating out". I don't expect them to raise the limit when it is new, but I am seriously considering applying for one in my husband's name and then that would cover everything.

We use an Amex Centurion and it is good to know you have unlimited credit, but I agree that they are far behind in the benefits department.

You can call them and ask for higher limit.

If you have another card issued by Chase they can move around the limits -- reduce the limit on one and raise the Sapphire limit.

My husband and I each have the card. That is the best solution. We charge the trips half on mine and half on his.

Your Amex card is worthless in this arena.

I also suggest the United Explorer card. Same coverage.

A credit limit higher than 40k won't do you any good, since the max benefit is 20k per person per trip.

That's why the Explorer Card together with the Sapphire is the best route to take.

For those who cannot get a high enough credit limit, one option is to pay for part of your cruise a month early so that the final payment is divided into two pay periods and you stay within the limit.

Edited by pacheco18

A credit limit higher than 40k won't do you any good, since the max benefit is 20k per person per trip.

$10,000 per person. Up to $20,000 "if more than one person insured under the same Account suffers a Covered Loss for the same Covered Trip...". $40,000 is the "maximum benefit per twelve month period."

$10,000 per person. Up to $20,000 "if more than one person insured under the same Account suffers a Covered Loss for the same Covered Trip...". $40,000 is the "maximum benefit per twelve month period."

No

assume the trip is 40k

If I use both my husband's Sapphire card and mine and charge 20k on each

I recover 10K for me and 10k for his trip (as my companion) via my card and he recovers 10k for himself and 10k for me on his card.

We can recover 40K on a single trip

No

assume the trip is 40k

If I use both my husband's Sapphire card and mine and charge 20k on each

I recover 10K for me and 10k for his trip (as my companion) via my card and he recovers 10k for himself and 10k for me on his card.

We can recover 40K on a single trip

What you say appears to be true (although I would loathe to get involved in a legal wrestling match with an insurance company), but somebody quickly looking at your post (without carefully reading the first part of it, i.e.--me) might incorrectly assume that you meant the max benefit on a single credit card account.

Edited by ohmark

I agree -- the insurance from Chase Sapphire looks very much like what I had already bought from A travel insurance company. Advice to split your payments between accounts to get further coverage sounds good to me. I am going back to not paying for car rental insurance after last year's doubling of car expenses -- my insurance company says I should take it but I'm still not sure why -- the driver not the car is insured if I have it correct. Still in my experiences, the rules of insurance coverage ALWAYS is in favor of the insurance company and they count on most people only having one or two cases per lifetime for experience while they do this for profit (and do it well). Oh well still bitter over an insurance claim that did not go my way. Carry on.

I agree -- the insurance from Chase Sapphire looks very much like what I had already bought from A travel insurance company. Advice to split your payments between accounts to get further coverage sounds good to me. I am going back to not paying for car rental insurance after last year's doubling of car expenses -- my insurance company says I should take it but I'm still not sure why -- the driver not the car is insured if I have it correct. Still in my experiences, the rules of insurance coverage ALWAYS is in favor of the insurance company and they count on most people only having one or two cases per lifetime for experience while they do this for profit (and do it well). Oh well still bitter over an insurance claim that did not go my way. Carry on.

The Sapphire card now offers PRIMARY insurance coverage for rentals. Amazing benefit