Noro on Riviera again

RJB

Another thread? Passengers on the WC are already making fun of how many threads there are and are starting to ignore them (and, of course, they have Norovirus on the ship).

May respectfully ask what good it will do to post pictures? Will this serve only to get more people worried and upset. Truly hope that any pictures that are posted are on this thread (although I actually wish they would not be posted at all.) What more could possibly be said that hasn't been said in 582 posts (counting the three main "noro" threads). It would be great if we could go forward and take one day at a time and stop looking backwards.

Plus 1

The horse is dead

Another thread? Passengers on the WC are already making fun of how many threads there are and are starting to ignore them (and, of course, they have Norovirus on the ship).

May respectfully ask what good it will do to post pictures? Will this serve only to get more people worried and upset. Truly hope that any pictures that are posted are on this thread (although I actually wish they would not be posted at all.) What more could possibly be said that hasn't been said in 582 posts (counting the three main "noro" threads). It would be great if we could go forward and take one day at a time and stop looking backwards.

Plus 1

The horse is dead

Were the two of you on the 2/12 cruise? Either way, I respectfully suggest that you certainly do not have to read these threads. ;)

I asked others if I should start a new thread of a review of my cruise (including the good and bad) and post photos from my cruise (not just the cleaning processes). Because the review was more a cruise review and not just about the Norovirus, I was not sure whether it should be on this thread, or on a separate thread. Most CC members seem to like reading reviews and seeing photos of another's cruise. :cool:

In the headlines today. Norovirus outbreak at a college university.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/two-hundred-ohio-university-students-sick-with-norovirus-symptoms/ar-BBpWI1C?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U142DHP

Edited by Iamthesea

IMO, the best place to post reviews is the "Review" section of Cruise Critic. Reviews there remain, do not disappear and can be referred to for years. Cruise Critic does have to approve the review after which time posters generally post a link to their review.

In terms of this thread, as you said, people don't have to read it. I do think that it is an important subject and there has been many positive suggestions to help passengers attempt to avoid getting sick on this thread. But three threads? Really?

As I said, it will not be a Norovirus title. :)

All post remain active on Forums for years, as well. I don't use the Reviews section. When I am looking for a review, I simply do a search on the cruiseline forum of my choice, or do a Google. :rolleyes: But most of the time, I will read one only because it is published on a forum I am reading and may be of interest to me.

Edited by Iamthesea

+1 and we were on 12/2 and 12/12 ...been there done that, enough said already...me thinks some folks enjoy negativity , let it go folks, get on with your lives. Either move to another cruise line, or not...I think this subject has been talked to death.

We agree...enough! Please only post positive, helpful information such as good precautions to pack/observe, the best wipes available, etc.

As to the respiratory issues raised: my husband has asthma and COPD so we are always aware that ANY time we are on ANY ship, there will routinely be pesticides and chemicals used regardless of any viral outbreaks. (Even in hotels, we can request no spraying in our room but know full well that the hallways and carpets will be sprayed and treated.) Because we still choose to travel, we would never NOT cruise without a balcony...this enables us to ventilate the stateroom for breathing comfort.

It's unrealistic to expect a cruise ship to be any different than a hotel, hospital or golf course. I have repeatedly seen all of those public facilities being sprayed by workers with respirators and hazmat jumpsuits!

I am quite sure that O ships are cleaner and safer than any plane or bus that you get on today!!!

+1 and we were on 12/2 and 12/12 ...been there done that, enough said already...me thinks some folks enjoy negativity , let it go folks, get on with your lives. Either move to another cruise line, or not...I think this subject has been talked to death.

Don't disagree with you, but this has been a real problem and just not talking about it won't make it go away.

Hi Eddmel, we are also sailing that day as well. Watching this thread very closely as we have some concerns and are hoping for a safe journey.

To Wren3 and Eddmel. Your responses made me laugh. We are also on the March 13th cruise. I just ordered my Clorox peroxide wipes that I learned about on this thread. Maybe we need to get stock in Clorox. Between the three of us, that will be one clean ship. Here is to a happy noro free cruise.

To Wren3 and Eddmel. Your responses made me laugh. We are also on the March 13th cruise. I just ordered my Clorox peroxide wipes that I learned about on this thread. Maybe we need to get stock in Clorox. Between the three of us, that will be one clean ship. Here is to a happy noro free cruise.

Lrob well one thing is for sure, we will be easy to spot each other on the ship wiping and cleaning our way through the ship! :)

Edited by Wren3

I'm postponing updates to our cruise until tomorrow hoping it will be good news. Where would everyone like me to post updates re the 2/22 Riviera cruise I am on now?? I don't want to beat the horse either but I do know there are those who are interested.

How about the "Live from the Riviera now? How are things?" thread. Yes - many of us are very interested your cruise - we are looking for information on the current cruise rather than the last one since the last one has been over-covered (probably no such word but it works for me:-)

I'm postponing updates to our cruise until tomorrow hoping it will be good news. Where would everyone like me to post updates re the 2/22 Riviera cruise I am on now?? I don't want to beat the horse either but I do know there are those who are interested.

Anywhere you want, Heather. Really appreciate the time you are taking to keep us informed.

Has there been any communication from Oceania about the chemicals being used as part of the disinfectant process? I assume that any chemical that is strong enough to require hazmat gear is probably a trigger for health problems for someone with a compromised respiratory system. Asthma or COPD would probably be the two most obvious and most common respiratory problems. With all the focus on the gastro-intestinal issues, the respiratory issues seem overlooked.

If I had respiratory issues, I'd sure want to know the name of the active ingredient in the spray and liquid wipe before getting on the ship. The instant I learned that information, I'd be placing a phone call to my pulmonologist.

Does anyone know if Oceania is providing that information if asked directly?

When I became ill with eye burn and runny nose after being sprayed on both hands while returning from shore (St. Maarten) last Wednesday in the brief time it took to get up to my cabin, we asked and were told it was chlorine, basically diluted bleach.

It is common knowledge that people are using way too many sanitizers, too many anti-bacterial wipes, etc. does nothing for a virus anyway. And it kills our ability to fight with our natural immune system. Not talking about onboard Ruviera right now when in Code Red, but generally speaking. Cleanliness is the most important thing we can do wherever we go.

Is Riviera in Code Red now?

• 2 weeks later...

One area that needs to be looked at is the reporting of being unwell and the knowledge of going to the medical center is not going to cost an arm and a leg, as a friend of mine that was on Marina last year had a GI issue and did not report it because of the costs.

We just came back from a lengthy cruise on Marina last month. For the first time in 10 cruises on O, I got sick - but not a GI issue. I can tell you that it does NOT cost an arm and a leg to see the doctor. The ship posts costs right inside the medical center, so if you're really concerned about the costs, go look at the cost for yourself, and then let the staff know you're concerned with potential cost of anything done. I waited a few days to go as someone on the ship reported someone else went to the doctor and returned with almost $700 in charges. Another person mentioned that doctors on cruise ships charged a lot. Obviously, everyone's experience (and memory) are different, but I can definitely say that for my experience, I didn't pay as much as I would have paid if I had gone to a doctor at home without insurance. My visit consisted of a visit during regular hours, some meds, and two tests. The doctor was great and after I left I wished I had gone to him immediately when I felt sick.

Of course, some people are afraid to go to the doctor because they think they might be quarantined. That is a real shame for more reasons than one.

Incidences of norovirus are more common on land than on cruise ships. Personally, if I end up being a victim and have part of my cruise curtailed, or end up being inconvenienced by an outbreak, I won't stop cruising, won't stop cruising on Oceania, and I certainly won't sue.

Edited by roothy123